Price Of Iphone In Bangkok?

HalfSquat

Anyone know the cheapest place to get an iphone 3gs in Bangkok and how much they are?

Am torn between getting an ipod touch or going the whole hog and getting an iphone as I need a new phone too but don't want to bankrupt myself!

Also wondering how the prices compare here to them in the UK:

UK Prices:

16GB: 21,214 baht

32GB: 25,938 baht

Any suggestions?

Thanks

True Move used to be the sole agent for iPhone in BKK but I believe that DTAC are also in the game. Prices are higher than your UK prices - you can check the details on the True Move website.

If you are not worried about the guarantee part, you can buy iPhone for almost half the price in Singapore and then get yourself a local SIM card.

Without looking at receipts, those prices look to be in the ballpark for what I paid for my iPhones through True Corporation. My 32GB 3GS was roughly 26-28k baht. I purchased mine at the True Shop in the Fortune IT Mall.

If your intent is to jailbreak the phones, you may be able to source them for less through grey market or black market vendors at MBK, Fortune, or other venues. But this may expose you to some risk, as far as warranty support is concerned.

I raise this point because one of the iPhones that I purchased had a power manager problem out of the box. I took it to the True Shop at Siam Soi 4, and they swapped it out for me after an hour or so. The service was smooth, professional, and competent. They transferred my data from the old phone to a new phone while I drank coffee and read the newspaper. The replacement works flawlessly, as does my other phone.

True Corporation offers various promotions, and I was able to exploit one when I purchased my phones. We got the pair of them for less than 2,000 baht down, and we pay the cost of the phones amortized over 24 months, with no interest. Our total bills per phone per month, inclusive, run less than 2,500 baht each, which compares very favorably to what they would cost on the ATT network in the US. We use them heavily, both data and voice, and we make international calls when we need to do so, without fear of the cost.

I am very satisfied with both the phones, and with True's support of them. True's service has been exceptional. They sent a very competent technician out to my residence to configure my WiFi router, so that we could use the phones over WiFi, at no charge. I was astonished.

For me, any additional expense that I may have incurred purchasing the phones through an authorized dealer was money well-spent.

I plan to purchase the next-generation iPhone through True, as well, and True Corporation has earned a couple of customers for life. While their network coverage in remote areas of Isan, from where my wife's family lives, is not as good as the AIS network, it has been "good enough." In Bangkok, the phones work flawlessly.

One point: 3G coverage in Bangkok is limited to certain areas. If you are in spitting distance of a True Shop, or a major shopping area, 3G works well. You can also use the WiFi networks in Starbucks stores, as a True customer, at no charge. In outer neighborhoods, 3G networks have not yet been completed, so the phones work in EDGE mode. They are fine for voice, but EDGE is too slow, in my estimation, for data. At least, this is the case in my neighborhood. This is why you may wish to consider a WiFi router in your residence.

I am able to use Skype on my iPhone over WiFi in my residence, to talk to friends back in the US with no problem.

I am a very pleased customer, both of Apple, and of True Corporation.

I will be looking very hard at the iPad, as well.

Hope that helps.

Seconded - buy your phone at True and save yourself a whole lot of hassle.

Prices are here: 24.5k for 16GB, 28.5k for 32GB factory unlocked.

http://www.truemove.com/iphone/eng/price_plan.htm

I don't know about these UK prices but if they're for phones that are not factory unlocked, it doesn't matter. I know that factory unlocked phones used to go for crazy prices in Europe, like $1000+ (even saw them for 1000 EUR...)....

Don't buy an iPhone that's not factory unlocked. You are just inviting trouble. Friend of mine just ended up with a brick after accidentally updating to 3.1.3. Was that worth the $100 savings - if that - for getting it on ebay? Definitely not.

Thanks for the replies.

ma91c1an, sounds like True is the way to go if I do decide to get one.

As for Singapore, I was there not long ago which is a shame as I didn't know they were cheaper there!

I don't know about these UK prices but if they're for phones that are not factory unlocked, it doesn't matter. I know that factory unlocked phones used to go for crazy prices in Europe, like $1000+ (even saw them for 1000 EUR...)....

Don't buy an iPhone that's not factory unlocked. You are just inviting trouble. Friend of mine just ended up with a brick after accidentally updating to 3.1.3. Was that worth the $100 savings - if that - for getting it on ebay? Definitely not.

Plus 7 % VAT!!!

Plus 7 % VAT!!!

Correct, need to add 7% to the above prices.