The Google Earth Strange Stuff Thread

manarak

I think this could be a fun thing to do about Thailand: post the oddities you see on google earth or google maps and ask the forum to identifiy them!

(I hope there isn't already a similar thread)

I begin with this pic of... erm.. I dunno what it is.

These two circular installations are situated on the peninsula southwest of Sattahip, near the navy pier.

The outer circles are rigorously circular, with the identical diameter of 620 meters.

Could they be signals/detection installations?

A failed resort?

A Navy base architect gone megalomaniac?

A secret Thai laboratory for super-weapons featuring a double loop particle accelerator?

post-67243-1269647126_thumb.jpg

Edited by manarak

Inner circle buildings could be ammo dump/storage facilities, outer circles as mentioned look like highway/round about. Buildings placement appear similar within the two inner circles. Then again with the tendency to copy it may be a couple competitor businesses.

I thought they might be a VLF (very low frequency) communication antenna array for contacting submarines - until I remembered that Thailand doesn't have any subs - yet!

Interestingly, if you look at the UK's VLF sub comms array at Chicksands, (52-02-41-12 N, 0-32-15-03 W), this has a diameter of about 1,032 meters.

Simon

I too first thought this could be radio/comms/radar/detection related, maybe a remnant form the vietnam era of U_Tapao ?

Here I post a second thing that makes one go "<deleted>?", especially if you see it from the airplane, a bit north of Bangkok.

It is Wat Phra Dhammakaya, AKA "the spaceship". The thing is huge and the biggest Buddhist temple in the World.

post-67243-1269712915_thumb.jpg

eggomaniac, your pics are so small, there is nothing to see!

Tywais, I think you misunderstand my dry sense of humour

Now I get it - guess I need to read that other topic futher it would seem.

Still interesting as I wasn't aware of that site.

I must confess I didn't get the deeper meaning of your exchange - and what was the humor about?

Something the shape of the Buddhist complex looks like?

here is another one:

directly east of UTAPAO airbase, remants of what seems to be about a hundred stalls/parking spaces for fighter airplanes - now almost totally overgrown by vegetation - A souvenir from the Vietnam war?

A dozen of them seem to be kept tidy though.

post-67243-1269802859_thumb.jpg

Edited by manarak

NE of Bangkok.

Impressive organisation of fields.

I can only guess there was one guy a long time ago who started with a parallelogramm-shaped field and the others didn't want to break the symmetry.

post-67243-1269804423_thumb.jpg

A large chunk of ground near the middle of Bangkok wouldn't just lay unused, would it?

Wrong!

This area looks like a failed golf course, just north of Queen Sirikit Park.

It would be interesting to know the story behind that one.

post-67243-1269805331_thumb.jpg

I like this one best, nothing so strange I hear you say, but this is land I bought with the full knowledge of the local Thais at a Thai price not a farang price just past Hua Hin at 80000 baht a rai when nearby most other idiots are paying 500k a rai upwards. Some Thais just arent greedy

post-66436-1269821486_thumb.jpg

this area is situated just south and east of Siam Country Club, near Maprachan Lake, East Pattaya.

and... I have no idea. Help?

This might just be the very large pineapple plantation that's in that area. I've been up there on the push-bike quite often - whether or not there are pineapples depends on the time of year - and what you can see is a vast network of sand tracks that are there so that the pickers can get at the fruit.

You can get all the way from the Huay Yai road to the 3 Kingdoms Park and Horseshoe Point on the road that runs past the plantation. Partly surfaced, recently, but already breaking up, but the northern portion is still just a badly eroded sand road.

DM

A large chunk of ground near the middle of Bangkok wouldn't just lay unused, would it?

Wrong!

This area looks like a failed golf course, just north of Queen Sirikit Park.

It would be interesting to know the story behind that one.

yes, this is over the road from chatuchak park (Mo Chit), you can hire bikes here and ride round, it is a decent park but I prefer to run round the lake at mo chit park next to it. Walking round it you can still see where the bunkers and greens were etc.