Thai Troops Retreat In Face Of 80,000 Protesters

webfact

but really folks ---- this isnt all about Thaksin ... oh wait he is speaking to the Reds again via a phone-in ...

THE NATION: "Foreign countries welcome Abhisit only because he represents Thailand, not because he's prime minister," Thaksin said.

huh? LOL --- umm he represents Thailand BECAUSE he is PM ... and Thaksin is not accepted in most developed nations BECAUSE he is a criminal on the run from justice!

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will arrive Bangkok on 3/April.

Do you think that will be safe to stay 2/3 days in Bangkok?

I want to walk arround the Grand Palace and surrounding areas!

Or do you think that i should go to Phuket, Krabi, etc, right after i arrive Bangkok?

thanks in advance

Daniel

from Portugal

but really folks ---- this isnt all about Thaksin ... oh wait he is speaking to the Reds again via a phone-in ...
THE NATION: "Foreign countries welcome Abhisit only because he represents Thailand, not because he's prime minister," Thaksin said.

huh? LOL --- umm he represents Thailand BECAUSE he is PM ... and Thaksin is not accepted in most developed nations BECAUSE he is a criminal on the run from justice!

Can't put it much clearer than that JD.

Cheers, Rick

:)

i am no expert but if bombs are going off in the main cities of Thailand and if the streets are being taken over by red yellow pink or green shirts then its time for some action

possibly starting with pulling the plug on the video feed from Dubai

or leaving the video feed and changing the audio feed to the cartoon channel

You mean changing the video feed to the cartoon channel so that it is in sync with the audio. :D

I reckon we will stop hearing the pathetic comparisons of Thaksin to Gandhi for a little while. There are limits even to propaganda.

This is civil disobedience and should be applauded and nurtured. Very Ghandi like and he would be proud. :)

Didn't Ghandi reject all material & mortal wealth, except for his sack-cloth robe & sandals ?

Maybe soon, when Thaksin goes to prison for life, he will finally live the frugal life of his hero! Except I doubt that Ghandi ever became anybody's 'shower-room susan'.

This country is a joke - it ever had a face to lose.

ps. Lets get this party started ....

If you openly show contempt for Thailand, then do not expect any better in return.

Even the mainline forum Thaksin supporters will be embarrassed by such comments.

Grow up.

"When I were in office, I tried to make soldiers really professional soldiers. Too bad a coup happened," Thaksin said.

He sure did, didn't he. Tak Bai was so becoming of his soldiers. It was so well done that Thaksin himself, as a PM, even threatened to walk out of Vientiane ASEAN Summit if anyone dared bring up this "misunderstanding." Such a dignified man! :)

Or do you think that i should go to Phuket, Krabi, etc, right after i arrive Bangkok?

thanks in advance

Daniel

from Portugal

Bangkok is fine for tourists

With the parades *protests" Bangkok is very quiet

No traffic jams ... markets are empty ...

Don;t change your plans ... enjoy Amazing Bangkok

Red shirts should go back to school they're obviously in need of an education. Watching them makes a good case AGAINST democracy...sigh...

Do you not think their lack of education is one of the main things they are protesting about ?

:):D:D best post!

Daniel from Portugal - dont worry about Bangkok, just avoid the red zones - which is not near palace. Even if you were in red zones, you would not be a target.

Take a skytrain to the boat/ferry station (at the end of one of the train lines) and go up river to the palace. dont go by taxi or tuk tuk.

dont wear

RED

YELLOW or BLUE. Wear,... er.. White>?

Edited by whiterussian

Red shirts should go back to school they're obviously in need of an education. Watching them makes a good case AGAINST democracy...sigh...

Do you not think their lack of education is one of the main things they are protesting about ?

Nope, If it were then they would see that Abhisit has done more for rural education in a year+ than Thaksin did in 5. It is about Thaksin and that is all it is really about.

Well, since Thaksin appointed himself Minister of Education when he was PM, you would think he and his in-control party would have solved the education problem for those he cares so much about. So I guess they are protesting against the wrong government. It should be the PTP MP's and the guy on the screen they need to ask "you were in control for 5 years. What did you do for us then?"

So what happens when the army decides not to back down in a particular situation?

Eventually, there is going to be violence.

And the reds will come up with some lame propaganda to say that it was Abhisit's fault.

If you give the yellow shirt carte blanc to do as they choose to achieve their goals while the police and army observed a strict hands off approach you can understand that the red shirts expect the same response or is there a difference in their treatment? Silly me...of course there is!!! :D:)

Lets be clear about this. Many of the red supporters here have been whipping up a violent, civil war mentality, egging on the reds to perform revolution for their dear leader, at any cost. They are not the voice of reason, they are the voice of madness.

I don't agree with everything you say but this quote here sums it up for me. There are some people here with blooddlust iin their hearts and absolutely no stake in the conflict. One wonders what slights they themselves suffered in their own lives to make then such irrational, vengeful proponents of violence. Civil War is no substitute for psychotherapy.

So what happens when the army decides not to back down in a particular situation?

Eventually, there is going to be violence.

And the reds will come up with some lame propaganda to say that it was Abhisit's fault.

Abhisit/Sondhi banned 111 fairly elected, according to International observers, politicians. The yellow propaganda machine, which paid more money to yellow terrorists than the reds could even, also uses this shtick over and over again.

Why ARE so many farangs on the side of Establishment forces?

Were their ancestors handing out cake for Maria Antoinnette? [let them eat cake] Did they fight against Paul Revere and the Raiders?

There are some good concepts and ideas as elements of, both, the Red and Yellow forces and some bad architecture, as well. A win by either side will NOT be a win for Thailand.

The Joseph Solution takes elements of both sides, and other 'parties of interest', as well, and puts them as trains pulling on different tracks with one purpose, instead of crashing head on.

The biggest anchors for both the Reds and the Yellows is they have allowed associations with crooked and corrupt leaders, Thaksin and Sondhi.

[sondhi helped bank roll Thaksin into power, had him forgive billions in loans, one of the best examples of Thaksin's corruption IS Sondhi. Of course, Sondhi called Thaksin, "the best PM ever."

They are both alligators from the same swamp, products of the problem not the causers of.

If the swamp does not get drained, EXPECT the next 100 years to be like the last 100; the names and faces will change, is all.

The Joseph Solution irons out "ALL" of Thailand's factional disputes and aspirations and provides stability, peace, increased prosperity and reduced corruption.

Eggo --- since you start that post with a bald-faced lie i won't quote it. However it was NOT Abhisit or Sondhi that banned the TRT executives. If you can't even start with something even remotely resembling the truth please do not expect people to dig further into your posts to take the time to correct the other lies.

This is a battle between the elite of Bangkok who control the judiciary, supported by most of the army and the rural poor.

Think what you like of Thaksin but he harnessed this previously politically deprived group and gave them an identity.

The army overthrew Thaksin while he was abroad knowing he wouldn't return. When the next election was won by his followers they used the judiciary to overturn it several times and eventually bought the parliament. No way can the current goverment be thought of as legitimate.

Abhisit may well be a good guy but he is just the front man for all the dodgy guys behind him who don't like the power they feel is theirs by right being threatened which is why they want to disenfranchise the poor and take the vote away from them. As a front man he was a good choice.

I am no great fan of Thaksin but at least he challenged the status quo and used the ballot box to do so. Sure he spent some money but that is true even in our so called western democracies. You need a few billion to stand a chance of becoming president of the USA and if you want to be mayor of New York then $50m should cover it. Politics is dirty everywhere but at least these reds are not just sitting back allowing the traditional elite to have it all their own way without a fight.

Thailand is at least showing that free speach is not dead even if their media is ranked as one of the most censored/supressed in the world.

You're wrong that this is a battle between the elite and the rural poor. There's a huge number of Thais that are neither and whose voices are thusfar silent. My wife is an educated middle class woman. She has some sympathy for the red movement, as do most of her friends who are professional people and academics. However, if they don't shed Thaksin or start violence, it is her hope that the Army does whatever is necessary to remove them. She will not shed a tear if they do "whatever's necessary". They are not going to let these people come to power through violent means you can rest assured about that. Thaksin's never coming back, ever.

There's a reason they do these in Bangkok on the weekend. Monday the citizenry would rip into them and I think most all of you know that.

Edited by lannarebirth

thanks in advance

Daniel

from Portugal

Bangkok is fine for tourists

With the parades *protests" Bangkok is very quiet

No traffic jams ... markets are empty ...

Don;t change your plans ... enjoy Amazing Bangkok

Do you all think that i should keep with my reservation at Navalai River Resort? That area it´s ok?

IMO, I don't see that an election will lead to a PTP government.

In the 2007 election, the votes were pretty even, with the PPP getting a few more seats than the Democrats. Smaller parties got the balance.

I don't see that changing too much, and maybe even more going towards the Democrats or the smaller parties and away from the PTP.

The smaller parties would still probably back the Democrats, which means a Democrat led coalition.

I agree that elections would probably not lead to a Pheua Thai majority government but Thaksin hopes they would at least increase their numbers to encourage the smaller parties to join them in a coalition. Since the global economy is improving slowly but steadily and the Dems are doing a reasonable albeit not perfect job on domestic economic management, he certainly doesn't want to let them stay in power long enough to take credit for the economic recovery, as he did in 2003. As things stand now, the Dems don't have enough substantial achievements to trumpet in an election and the New Politics Party may come out and split their vote in some critical urban constituencies. Another important factor is Newin's Bhumjai Thai which hasn't put in a great showing in Isaan by-elections but another 12-18 months might give them time to raise their game as well as their war chest. More time also favours the campaign funds of all the government parties as they need more time to skim off funds from disbursals of the government budget that have not yet taken place. Pheua Thai on the other hand can't get its nose into the government trough and will need to depend on Thaksin's overseas remittances.

reasonable job, not perfect on domestic economic recovery!!!!, he is burdening the country with a massive debt, that will cripple it for years to come.

Thailand s Cabinet on Wednesday approved a proposal from the Ministry of Finance to borrow US$1 billion from the World Bank Thursday, May 14, 2009.

Thailand's cabinet has approved plans to borrow 800 billion baht ($22.7 billion) to finance stimulus spending and fiscal deficits between now and 2011, Reuters quoted Finance Minister Korn Chatikavanij as saying Wednesday.

I reckon we will stop hearing the pathetic comparisons of Thaksin to Gandhi for a little while. There are limits even to propaganda.

This is civil disobedience and should be applauded and nurtured. Very Ghandi like and he would be proud. :)

Didn't Ghandi reject all material & mortal wealth, except for his sack-cloth robe & sandals ?

Maybe soon, when Thaksin goes to prison for life, he will finally live the frugal life of his hero! Except I doubt that Ghandi ever became anybody's 'shower-room susan'.

If you put Thaksin in prison for life for corruption then 75% of the politicians in the world will be in there with him. He is not better or worse than the overwhelming number of others but his sins were that he was too wealthy and did not play along with the established power base in Thailand.

Truth is the Reds don't know what they want except money in their pockets.

Err... yes. :) Money is kinda useful.

However much I sympathise with the 'reds' (as most of the people in ChiangMai are) - albeit having a Dr Evil type leader, the only way to win this one is to wait until the goalposts have been restored to the original position. ie: No banning of entire parties. A free election. Of course it will be a puppet govt. But then these days what government isnt?

What good was done by banning the TRT, the next day the same people were forming the PPP. So, banning an "entire party" that changes it's name the next day, how is that a ban?

Do you all think that i should keep with my reservation at Navalai River Resort? That area it´s ok?

:)

Crickey, any hotel but that one.

(yes its fine. no reds staying at the river resort)

What good was done by banning the TRT, the next day the same people were forming the PPP. So, banning an "entire party" that changes it's name the next day, how is that a ban?

God knows, all I know is some pig faced guy was there one minute, gone the next, and then back, or not, then airport mafia, then yellow happy clappy, now reds. I couldnt give a crap whos in charge, I would just feel comfortable knowing that a majority of Thai people weren't ready to march on Bangkok and do crazy sh**!

Guess we find out at the next election. Getting a bit worried that Mr T doesn't just wait, whats the rush?

Edited by whiterussian

thanks in advance

Daniel

from Portugal

You will be fine

Just enjoy your time here and stay away from large crowds.

If you put Thaksin in prison for life for corruption then 75% of the politicians in the world will be in there with him. He is not better or worse than the overwhelming number of others but his sins were that he was too wealthy and did not play along with the established power base in Thailand.

Thaksin has a lot of crimes he has yet to answer for. When he gets his day in court for each of them it may actually come to life in prison but not if they run sentences concurrently.

Can't put it much clearer than that JD.

Cheers, Rick

Yes, and Thaksin himself is feeling the chill wind from an increasing number of the foreign governments of ill repute that do admit him so they can "do business" with him. Thaksin abroad now has begun to create havoc in Nicaragua, Honduras, UAE-Dubai, Montenegro - Thaksin has caused governments such as Sri Lanka to issue official statements that he's not going to be appointed to any position there or be granted an entry visa etc. He got booted out of Hong Kong so the PRC government allowed Thaksin to escape under cover of the 2008 Beijing Olympic Summer Games (while governments winked at each other).

The new and crafty approach of the Abhisit government is to pressure such shady foreign governments so that Thaksin can't hang his hat at any one place long enuff to do any more than to make a phone-in while on the run to yet another rathole country whose leaders he still can buy. The Abhisit government is managing the present attempt to make the country ungovernable and is managing it well. It's clear now to the Redshirts they won't be able to provoke the army in any face to face situation, that the government won't be the side that initiates violence and that Thaksin has been demoted from fugitive from Thai justice to global desperate fugitive.

You're wrong that this is a battle between the elite and the rural poor. There's a huge number of Thais that are neither and whose voices are thusfar silent. My wife is an educated middle class woman. She has some sympathy for the red movement, as do most of her friends who are professional people and academics. However, if they don't shed Thaksin or start violence, it is her hope that the Army does whatever is necessary to remove them. She will not shed a tear if they do "whatever's necessary". They are not going to let these people come to power through violent means you can rest assured about that. Thaksin's never coming back, ever.

There's a reason they do these in Bangkok on the weekend. Monday the citizenry would rip into them and I think most all of you know that.

We have wives with similar views :)

The irony here is that, without Thaksin, most Thais would supporter the red shirt movement - surely closing the rich-poor divide is in the interests of the whole country and its economy? With Thaksin gone I'm sure there wouldn't be any hesitation what so ever in holding an election.

But Abhisit has done a very good job of pulling the pants down of their leaders by applying the condition of no personal favours being the purpose behind a house dissolution. I believe the reds refusal to accept this condition has reminded the onlooking international media as to what these protests are really all about.

thanks in advance

Daniel

from Portugal

Dan, Bangkok is HUGE 15 million person at least.

There are so many places for people to go and see things,

reds can't be in all of them.

Get into town, chill out a bit, ask a tourist agent what's happening that day,

they should know, and just do something in another direction.

A bit of common sense and awareness and you should have no issues.

The Thai Military are a bunch of pussy's.

This country lost face when they retreated and let the Japanese invade them.

Nothing has changed since then - they lost face long ago ......

What a stupid statement.

I might also ask, in relation to what event do you make this statement?

Is is the fact they have shown incredible patience today?

Is it that they are not armed when facing protesters ?

Prey tell what brilliant thought gave you the confidence to say such a thing ?

Ah WWII, dont listen to the Thai's ramble on about how we are so proud, we have never been colonised. They dont teach them in school that they threw their hands up to the Japanese and were occupied by them. Heard of the The Thai/Burma Railway. On that note all these Muslim's in the south which the Thai's so much despise actually fought against the Japanese during WW11.

This country is a joke - it ever had a face to lose.

ps. Lets get this party started ....

Seri Thai ?

Try watching the film 'Don't cry Nanking' To see what it was like resisting the Japanese.

The government is doing a great job, the elected PM I believe has the good of the thai people at heart. I think that there is a well respected and humble man who has been behind the scenes for 60 years that has behaved in a similar fashion as the elected PM. Poor , uneducated(actually I think non thinking people is a better term as their are plenty of people educated formally who dont think) people dont always know what is best for them-they can be easily manipulated. When a military removes somebody such as thaksin , it is not ideal, but can be for the good of the country. Thaksin values himself above all else. I remember him giving cell phones to the poor in the north and north east, but uneducated and educated non thinking people dont see the big picture. Who did they pay for their cell phone service, thaksins company of course. The current PM has the support of a humble, good hearted ,thinking man who wants good for thailand. I have a picture of the king sitting with a monkpost-48502-1269703575_thumb.jpg which brings a humble smile to my face .

Truth is the Reds don't know what they want except money in their pockets.

Err... yes. :) Money is kinda useful.

However much I sympathise with the 'reds' (as most of the people in ChiangMai are) - albeit having a Dr Evil type leader, the only way to win this one is to wait until the goalposts have been restored to the original position. ie: No banning of entire parties. A free election. Of course it will be a puppet govt. But then these days what government isnt?

Well it did remove direct hands on control from those executives that condoned the malfeasances.

I would say slowing down their game plans saved the country some graft.

Certainly PPP and PTP have NEVER been able to do graft in the same whirlwind way as TRT was doing it.