Red Shirt Protests - Do You Support A Hard-line Approach?

Insight

Do you support a hard-line approach?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If the army or government 'clamped down' on the protesters today, that would only make matters worse. The reds would portray it, with at least a little justification, as the Bangkok elites attacking the rural poor. This would strengthen their cause - and their numbers.

The present patient, non violent approach is the right one as far as it goes. What is lacking is an effective strategy to separate Thaksin and his cronies from the decent ordinary underprivileged people whom they are duping. I'd suggest a massive investment in good quality state funded education might be a good place to start. Trouble is, it will take 15 - 20 years for the effects to filter through.

Edited for grammar

Edited by colinscarr

Its not that simple, not that black and white. The reds are clearly pushing this, trying to provoke a violent government reaction. Of course, the government should resist this kind of reaction. However, the way things are going, there is going to be a point where the reds push it so far, there is going to be no choice but to step up the reaction. At that point, I think moderate measures are in order, such as tear gas/water hoses/whatever they have that isn't lethal. However, that begs the question what do the soldiers do if/when the reds directly attack the soldiers? So this isn't over, simple, or easy.

If the army or government 'clamped down' on the protesters today, that would only make matters worse. The reds would portray it, with at least a little justification, as the Bangkok elites attacking the rural poor. This would strengthen their cause - and their numbers.

The present patient, non violent approach is the right one as far as it goes. What is lacking is an effective strategy to separate Thaksin and his cronies from the decent ordinary underprivileged people whom they are duping. I'd suggest a massive investment in good quality state funded education might be a good place to start. Trouble is, it will take 15 - 20 years for the effects to filter through.

Edited for grammar

Colin nutshelled it. :)

I think the government and the army have handled this well. None of us wants all this going on in BKK obviously, but the government has shown remarkable patience, especially with all the grenade attacks going on, and by refusing to be provoked has drawn the reds out into real desperation. At some point the reds will show their hand and then at that point the government will have far greater support for whatever measures it deems necessary to handle it.

I would also say that when comparing Abisit to Thaksin, there is only one winner. I'll give you a clue, it's the one who doesn't make hitler comparisons, suggest the cabinet is full of nutters, etc. For Thailand's sake, Thaksin needs to be dealt with. Locked up or something else, doesn't matter, but he just needs to go. Besides, he's not exactly helping the reds (and indeed he's the major reason for many people NOT to support them).

In the long term, Colinscarr is right, education is the key, and the only way to close the rich-poor gap (it'll also help reduce the corruption problems I suspect).

I'm 100 % anti Thaksin, and don't understand why the red shirts still support him, but this said, its there democratic right to protest as long it is without violence.

Coming from a country were the EU capital is located I have seen much worse wen farmers from allover the EU invaded Brussels, the damage caused by them was hundred of millions Baht. We all saw on Televison the actions of the Anti Globalists and the riots in Greece last year or the demonstatins of

harbour workers in Strassbourg. Not yet to mention the destructions a few years ago in France by Muslim youngsters. To name only a few.

Compared with the above, the red shirts demonstrations are kindergarten stuff.

My respect for the present PM is only growing by the way he deals with the situation. Many European countries can learn a lot from him. He is a very clever man saying "its there right to demonstrate". Now he is willing to talk, let them talk so steam is released again.

He put the red shirts in a cath 22 situation. No Violence by them will bring them no result and using violence will even put them further away from there goal and will result in a complete disaproval and disgust of the majority of the population.

The reds are rowing in the bathtub they are going nowhere and succed notthing.and I think there leaders have enough intelligence to realize it. That's why there ridiculous actions of spoiling blod en shaving hair. I wonder what will be there next gimmic.

I think there great leader must feel very uncomfortable.

How many other "democratic" countries would have let this go on for 4 weeks in their nation's capital?

I agree with you. But Thai people are very easy going and do not want violence, specailly against powerless people. However, if the Red mobs starts to push themselves into the military base, they cross the line and I beleive the soldiers will defense the base.

I believe the government should inform the innocent red protesters to leave and go home and arrange the buses for them for free. Then arrest the 4 leaders in a peaceful way.

The clamp down will not make the soldier and government look good because people, specially from North and NE, will have sympathy for protesters. Remember last year in April when the soldiers clamp down the protesters, The redshirts manipulated the information and made up the story that soldiers were given order from the PM to killed RED PROTESTERS. If nobody gets killed yet, they can peacfully protest until they get tired and leave, or until the fund runs out.

How many other "democratic" countries would have let this go on for 4 weeks in their nation's capital?

Probably the same amount that would allow their International Airport to be held hostage..... :)

I think offering the red shirts a opportunity to sit down and air their master's grievances and to have them be heard is a good move by the PM and it should be taken seriously. However, if after the meeting they still hold the capitol hostage with bombings and attacks on citizens then they should be treated as the terrorists that they are.

Good poll question; credit where credit is due!

(No surprises on what I voted; the protesters have been exceptionally well behaved so far and are indeed exercising their democratic rights.)

Only if and when general public order gets disturbed it becomes necessary to take action. We have not seen that so far.

I think offering the red shirts a opportunity to sit down and air their master's grievances and to have them be heard is a good move by the PM and it should be taken seriously. However, if after the meeting they still hold the capitol hostage with bombings and attacks on citizens then they should be treated as the terrorists that they are.

I agree. The Pm should listen patiently and after these three people make fools of themselves he should ask them what is their plan to improve the living conditions of Thai people, what is their plan to sustain a market econmy, what is their plan to improve exports, on and on. They do not have a clue. They only know to say what Khun T has told them to say. Sad but true.

I'm far from being pro-Red myself, but they should have the right to protest as long as they want to... provided they continue to do so peacefully.

And speaking of rights to protest, I'd like to see an end to Internet censorship and an end to the LM law!

I used to think that PM Abhisit was a little too lenient in dealing with these Red Shirts but now I've come to respect his decision because it is based on long term for the country, not short term to satisfy some petty ego satisfaction. I mean, for god's sake, those red shirts have poured blood on his house, insulted him over and over again and do you see the PM saying a single bad word about the red shirts?

Any lesser man (i.e. Thaksin) would've lashed out and it would only worsen the situation. Had Thaksin been PM, he would've ordered the protesters shot (oh wait, that was his lackey PM Somchai who did that) and the protests would've ended there, but the scars would take even longer to heal.

Abhisit wants the country to win-win, while Thaksin wants to win even if everyone else loses. The three stooges are clearly just thinking about short term (or whenever Thaksin's money runs out) while as PM Abhisit has to think about the long term.

I think the government and the army have handled this well. None of us wants all this going on in BKK obviously, but the government has shown remarkable patience, especially with all the grenade attacks going on, and by refusing to be provoked has drawn the reds out into real desperation. At some point the reds will show their hand and then at that point the government will have far greater support for whatever measures it deems necessary to handle it.

I would also say that when comparing Abisit to Thaksin, there is only one winner. I'll give you a clue, it's the one who doesn't make hitler comparisons, suggest the cabinet is full of nutters, etc. For Thailand's sake, Thaksin needs to be dealt with. Locked up or something else, doesn't matter, but he just needs to go. Besides, he's not exactly helping the reds (and indeed he's the major reason for many people NOT to support them).

In the long term, Colinscarr is right, education is the key, and the only way to close the rich-poor gap (it'll also help reduce the corruption problems I suspect).

:) The government should shut down Tarksin's broadcasts into Thailand.

Probably the same amount that would allow their International Airport to be held hostage..... :)

That wasnt Abhisit Govt. He wasnt in power then

Thanks for the responses so far - interesting result. It's been pretty much neck-and-neck all the way through.

WTK - I wanted to make the choices as impartial as possible as to not affect the outcome of the poll. It's pretty clear now that if the military (or anybody else) made any attempt to move them it could end pretty badly.

:) The government should shut down Tarksin's broadcasts into Thailand.

Right you are Ciaociao. There are only a few satellites serving Thailand that one can rent transponder time. Surley this government has the simple know how to find which transponder Khun T is using. If they shut his daily VC calls down that would go a long way in sutting down the hatred he is spreading among Thai people.

Right you are Ciaociao. There are only a few satellites serving Thailand that one can rent transponder time. Surley this government has the simple know how to find which transponder Khun T is using. If they shut his daily VC calls down that would go a long way in sutting down the hatred he is spreading among Thai people.

Don't be silly. He'd just pre-record the videos to play for the masses later. No big deal.

Don't be silly. He'd just pre-record the videos to play for the masses later. No big deal.

Silly me.

Actually the 2 questions don't exclude each other. The Red Shirts are exercising their democratic rights but every right has its limits.

Whether or not their demands are acceptable is a totally different question.

They might have a chance once they get rid of Thaksin, otherwise they will fail.

protests are good for the country, so they should do so until new elections are called. :)

Yes .. this is great for tourism and the overall economy and image of Thailand! A group of (mostly) nutters calling for the return of a convicted felon so they can get some of his money!

But hey, some of actually live in Thailand and get to deal with the ramifications of this craziness.