Can't Afford To Go Home

HalfSquat

I only have an average monthly income of around 40,000TB but that more than enough for I can live quite comfortably on about 25KB.

Live in a small town and pay 4,000b a month rent on nice 2 bedroom house, food is cheap unless you want to go to a flash restaurant.

Dont have or need a car Mrs has a motorbike and I have a pushbike, use bus or train for longer trips all very cheap.

Went back to NZ last year for 3 months over the Xmas period and toured the North island in a campervan I bought, will go again this Xmas and do the South Island then sell the campervan and after a visit to friends in OZ will be back here to stay.

For those who want a better return on their 1 mill bucks have a look at:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to work for 10,000 to 20,000 a month and still lived better than on a crap job at home. You can get a comfortable room with bath and English TV for less than 5,000 baht and eat good veggie food for 20 baht a meal if you have to.

I rather be here with a small income than back in the West (of course no income in a different thing). It just depends on how spoiled one is.

Sure when i started out i almost made nothing too, now i make more but im still not rich. Anyway i live quite well here partly because the gf works too. (saves a lot because she shares in the cost). This is Thailand you can live as cheap / expensive as you want.

The house we bought is 5.700 mortgage a month (took a mortgage because i did not want to sink my money in it. This way its like renting and if i loose the house i wont feel too bad) Electricity varies on how much you use the aircon (did 2 years without in a rented house) Food.. so cheap if you want it to be.

Girls can be expensive depending on your choices.

It all comes down to personal decisions in life. Most of us from western countries (UK, North America, central Europe, New Zealand and Australia) have systems in place for people to succeed with a minimum of hard work. If we CHOOSE to act like the proverbial grasshopper then we have to accept the consequences of our own decisions. In Asia there is no safety network other than the immediate family for support. Coming to Thailand and then trying to live like a native Thai is very difficult, and you don't even have family for support. I'm sorry if I don't have a lot of sympathy for people like that. Those of us who worked hard all our lives and did without so we would have a reasonable pension to live off when we got old can live a reasonable existance in Thailand if we aren't too extravagant. We just have to live with the consequences of our own decisions.

• Like 1

I lived in Thailand for 7 years , had a decent apartment and ate well cooking my own food , I had little to show for my B45,000 at the end of those years . As I had become somewhat down in the mouth with things in general , I decided to move into Cambodia , still hanging on to my Thai apartment with all of (?) what I had acummulated . Without even searching , I was lucky enough to be introduced to a 'Fresh' Cambodian lady who had never seen inside of a bar , she was working for a weathy family at the time as a cook , they took her with them when they travelled as they enjoyed her cooking .

After discussions with her family , it was decided she had found her husband as all the ducks were in a row for us , we performed a simple ceremony in the village and have been together for almost six years . In that period of time , we have purchased a good piece of property on which we first buit a small house and then the full Khymer house , we do not live there full time , her mother lives there and is mostly supported by what is now on the property .

My wife and I live in a rented apartment in the city , she cooks practically all of my Western style food and I have internet in my room , I now consider I am living the relaxed retirement I intended all along . I vist Canada every year to get all of MY ducks in a row and keep everything up to date for government requirements and spend quality time with my children and grandchildren , now there are 4 great grand children so i get the pleasure of them also .

Should anything drastic occur , I have my bridge to cross back to my safety net which I have preserved all of my years away , my wife has everything she needs to survive very well should circumstance decide she cannot go to Canada , all of this on my small pension , life is as much about where you live and how you are prepared to live it and with whom .

I consider myself to be one of the lucky ones , I could simply not live the life so many have spoken of on this thread , I worked all of my life with out going on government assistance , I have no intention of doing it now , I am independantly inclined and happy to be that way .

Home is where the heart is and my heart is in Thailand has been for the last 6 years. New Zealand is clean but BOARING. I am lucky I can live most placers and I do not need to work.

I all ways keep my eye on the house pricers in N.Z. Just to make sure that I have enough to buy a small 3 bedroom brick and tile freehold house should the need ever arrive to up and move back to N.Z. The rest of the money is well taken care of to keep me happy in retirement and paying my health covers where ever I live.

I am so lucky to have found my heart in Thailand with my Thai partner here.

Best of luck to you all.

Another Kiwi! I am in the exact same situation, just had a daughter with my Thai wife, last time back in Auckland 2 months ago, cold, grey, yech. Been coming here since '94 :)

Used to live in HK, came to Thailand every month on holiday, never saved a cent :)

IMHO you need 100K/month minimum for a decent lifestyle, preferably double that.

Edited by PointBlank

This is certainly an interesting topic. We are, not unique but, slightly different in that we are a British-British couple living and working out here (my wife teaches at an Anuban and I do some small scale marketing consultancy so as not to stress myself out). We have been out of England for 5 years now and living in Thailand for 2.5 but we know that one day we will return to England, but not until we have financial control. So, like many of you here, we have come to achieve what we couldn't achieve in England (even with 2 well paid jobs) all that time....savings whilst having a decent quality of life. For us Thailand is a means to an end and a very lovely one at that. We will leave here one day full of beautiful memories (that no-one can take away), a more balanced view of the world (this isn't the only country we've lived in) and our savings.

So, we're not that different to most people here, but we had each other before we came and this stops us having to "settle" here. We are settled with each other. Maybe this is why people have such strong feelings about this country, it isn't the country, but your love of your partner (and them being Thai) that helps you fall deeper into this than us. For all that I've said I know that we will miss our friends, community, food, culture and the sun.....but then again I am missing the food, culture, friends, family and settling down in front of the fire on a crisp winter's night with my loved one and a DECENT carry-out beer from some obscure brewery..... and then I'll be missing the sun, food, etc (see the pattern).

Whatever your story make sure that you enjoy it for everything it is whilst you are here :)

The truth is that all of you guys who make 100k baht a year probably aren't saving anywhere near the required amounts to safely and securely retire definitely not in your home country and probably not in Thailand either. If you run into some bad luck (injury/sickness/legal trouble/divorce) you could easily find yourself banged up in Thailand like some of the people posting in this thread. How much does a Western University cost? Are going to be able to provide that opportunity for your children in the future? It seems to me like many sacrifice what is best for their children for their own personal happiness when they choose to live the cheap life in Thailand on a meager salary.

Although, If you are one of those single middle aged single "lifers" than I can definitely see what you mean when you say that you would rather go home in a body bag than broke.

Depends were Home IS Better to be in the UK with Zero Money than in Thailand. At least in the UK you can get housing benefit and funds to manage until you get a job.

Better than the jump from a high rise condo. Plus No medical bills.

Sure there are attractions in Thailand but it's not the place to be on limited funds

Again, People who have a level head are expected to foot the bill of people who leave the UK, and spend all there money, which is up to them there money . But why should we support you when you come back, I go to Thailand and I wish I could live there , But , I do not have the means or money , so my wife is with me in the UK, I am not living in the land of so called smiles and I am not living in a dream.Yes you have probably paid tax in the past , but that does not give you the right to endless free benefits from the state for life.As much as I appropriate the predicament people get in, they got there, As some people say, don't leave your brain at the Airport when you arrive.

Okay then, how much do you bet?

That's what I used to say in the school yard 60 years ago. :)

I read that you are dead

http://www.thaivisa....e__hl__gungadin

Is living on the over side better then staying in Thailand? It is amazing how far flung Thai visas posters are these days.

Knock 3 times if you can read this post.

Edited by Beetlejuice

I read that you are dead

Is living on the over side better then staying in Thailand? It is amazing how far flung Thai visas posters are these days.

This is an old thread, check the dates and you may be a bit embarrassed with your post.

FD

A very interesting series of posts in this thread. There certainly seems to be a number of young posters who are choosing to stay in Thailand and who are leaving themselves open to disaster if something happens. Or if they are lucky and manage to stay healthy and semi-employed, they may find themselves unable to retire and to continue to stay in Thailand. However, this is happening to many boomers in the US too.

My suggestion is to stay where you are happiest and do your best to prepare for whatever the future throws at you.This generally means saving and investing as much as possible or ensuring that you have a dependable pension lined-up (if such a thing is possible.)

Edited by Pacificperson

Those that have always relied on someone else for a wage at the end of the month and clocked in and out for the last 25 years will struggle here and anywhere else they decide to retire or semi retire to as it just isn't in their nature to look after themsleves.

No matter what your academic background is, how many A levels or Master's Degree's, being self employed, mostly if not all your life in your home country will undoubtedly help you immensely if you decide to live abroad whether you work or not once you get there.

Ed. I think that you speak arrogant nonsense.

I punched a clock for 25 years and worked for some one else for a wage. I was paid every two weeks. How you then conclude that people who do that just cannot look after themselves, because it is not in their nature, is ridiculous. I can probably look after myself better than you can look after your self. This has a lot to do with my life experiences and work!

As for academic background. I do have a Masters degree from a University that is rated #1 in my area of specialization. Also, I have close to another Masters degree as well.

As for prepardness for retirement. I have earned paid medical benefits for life. I have a life time pension of $37.000 per year for life. This pension does not include Social security. Which I am not eligable for yet. Also. I have a assets in my portfolio of $1000000 USD. Without getting further into my bussiness. I will likely end up with double the $1000000 USD. Also, A guaranteed Income of $72000 USD, which does not include the $2000000 in the calculation. $2000000 is a low estimate.

I am age 55 and retired 6 weeks ago. I plan on moving to Thailand when I sell my house. It is completely paid for and has been for many years. I am in no big hurry to sell the house either. I plan on spending most of this winter in a condominuim directly on one fo the best beaches in Florida. I will vacation in Thailand for two months.

All this despite having punched a clock for 25 years.

I am not exagerating when I tell you all this information.

I read that you are dead

This is an old thread, check the dates and you may be a bit embarrassed with your post.

FD

I checked the dates and fell for that old trick again. I feel very embarrassed by my post. I will call myself a wally and save others the trouble of posting it.

i dream about retiring in thailand , i am only 43 , i havbe a house in los, i have a wife and daughter, i go twice a year roughly for 2-3 months at a time and i love thailand , on the other hand i do get bored especially when im up in isaan so i do like to get home to the shi**y cold miserable uk sometimes, i like to take the rough with the smooth to balance things out and i think that is the best way to go . when in thailand i drink too much and i know if i stayed there long term i would only ruin myself so its good to get back into work in uk and not stay in holiday mode.

I read that you are dead

I ate my last meal a while back as well, but life goes on...

I couldn't afford to go home, and didn't have the time, either...

Maybe in the next life - which is this one now, I suppose...

Though it does seem unlikely in the foreseeable...

SC

i dream about retiring in thailand , i am only 43 , i havbe a house in los, i have a wife and daughter, i go twice a year roughly for 2-3 months at a time and i love thailand , on the other hand i do get bored especially when im up in isaan so i do like to get home to the shi**y cold miserable uk sometimes, i like to take the rough with the smooth to balance things out and i think that is the best way to go . when in thailand i drink too much and i know if i stayed there long term i would only ruin myself so its good to get back into work in uk and not stay in holiday mode.

True howver if you live in Thailand with no job and a large disposable income this is the likely outcome. Not so prevalent in those who have to work 6-7 days a week or those on limited pensions.

Sounds like a good balance there.

I find I have to agree with what some people here are saying about the people who planned for retirement having to take care of those that didn't. I have a friend here from UK who is barely able to survive financially. He gets about 27,000 baht from pensions and out of that he pays house mortgage, overdraft fees from UK, other loans and also supports Thai girlfriend and her son and 2 dogs. He cannot afford to go back to UK, he says. He also has to go on frequent visa runs as not enough money to qualify for retirement visa. He is my friend but he has become somewhat of a dependent. He is understandably short of money every month and his other friends, who are lessening in frequency, constantly lend and sometimes give him money to live. However, he cannot pay back timely and some times not at all. I financed his last trip to Laos, his new bicycle and give him food and clothing. I would not mind this except for fact that the guy made a lot of money in his life and pissed it away, according to him, on booze and women and never saved a penny. he travelled the world his whole life. meanwhile I worked and sent 3 daughters to university and 2 to graduate school and did not take a vacation for 11 years. I am just venting because I still end up feeling sorry for the poor sot and will probably bail him out once again.

I have a decent pension and despite the ignorant claim of some other posting here, I was a civil servant and yet manage to survive quite well here. As do other expats I know who punched a clock. By the way the guy I am talking about who is crashing here worked for himself. Personally I believeif one has adequate income it is not difficult to live here. This applies to self-employed people or those who worked for someone else. However, I have my own business here and numerous expenses as everyone does, and I am not so well off that I can afford to support everybody.

I find I have to agree with what some people here are saying about the people who planned for retirement having to take care of those that didn't. I have a friend here from UK who is barely able to survive financially. He gets about 27,000 baht from pensions and out of that he pays house mortgage, overdraft fees from UK, other loans and also supports Thai girlfriend and her son and 2 dogs. He cannot afford to go back to UK, he says. He also has to go on frequent visa runs as not enough money to qualify for retirement visa. He is my friend but he has become somewhat of a dependent. He is understandably short of money every month and his other friends, who are lessening in frequency, constantly lend and sometimes give him money to live. However, he cannot pay back timely and some times not at all. I financed his last trip to Laos, his new bicycle and give him food and clothing. I would not mind this except for fact that the guy made a lot of money in his life and pissed it away, according to him, on booze and women and never saved a penny. he travelled the world his whole life. meanwhile I worked and sent 3 daughters to university and 2 to graduate school and did not take a vacation for 11 years. I am just venting because I still end up feeling sorry for the poor sot and will probably bail him out once again.

I have a decent pension and despite the ignorant claim of some other posting here, I was a civil servant and yet manage to survive quite well here. As do other expats I know who punched a clock. By the way the guy I am talking about who is crashing here worked for himself. Personally I believeif one has adequate income it is not difficult to live here. This applies to self-employed people or those who worked for someone else. However, I have my own business here and numerous expenses as everyone does, and I am not so well off that I can afford to support everybody.

I was also a Civil Servant.

I am reminded of the old story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. I will reiterate it here. The Ant worked hard and planned for the future. He knew that winter (old age) was inevitably coming. Every now and then he would run into the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper would say that the Ant should just party and have a good time. The future is not here yet! I'm having so much fun. The Grasshopper would say and laugh. The Ant would say winter is coming, I must prepare, and you should too. Preparing for the future equals financial planning and saving resources. Well as it must winter came. The Ant then heard a chirping at his door and a knocking. The Ant opened the door slightly with the key chain on. He peered out. He saw the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper said. Let me in and give me what you worked hard for. I know you saved and prepared for the future. The Ant politely said. I worked hard. I saved for my future and my famalies. Didn't you? The Grasshopper said. I was too busy having a good time to save for the future. The Ant said. I have enough for me and my family. It would not be fair to them to just give it to you! I'm sorry you must learn to live within your means. If you must return to old blighty and live in a council estate then so be it. In blighty you may be able to get a job in Mcdonald's or Costco, or some where. Also, they will provide socialized medicine for you.That is unlikely here.The Thais will give you a one way airplane tiket when they deport you. Perhaps a biological family member will send you funds for a one way airplane tiket, or your embassy will give you a loan. Because the Ant was Jai dee. He gave the Grasshopper a small crust of bread. But the Ant said. I have responsabilites to my family. I cannot support you and yours as well. This is a one time gift. God bless you. The Ant was true to his word.

This guy wants his piece of cake and yours as well.

Edited by philliphn

This is certainly an interesting topic. We are, not unique but, slightly different in that we are a British-British couple living and working out here (my wife teaches at an Anuban and I do some small scale marketing consultancy so as not to stress myself out). We have been out of England for 5 years now and living in Thailand for 2.5 but we know that one day we will return to England, but not until we have financial control. So, like many of you here, we have come to achieve what we couldn't achieve in England (even with 2 well paid jobs) all that time....savings whilst having a decent quality of life. For us Thailand is a means to an end and a very lovely one at that. We will leave here one day full of beautiful memories (that no-one can take away), a more balanced view of the world (this isn't the only country we've lived in) and our savings.

So, we're not that different to most people here, but we had each other before we came and this stops us having to "settle" here. We are settled with each other. Maybe this is why people have such strong feelings about this country, it isn't the country, but your love of your partner (and them being Thai) that helps you fall deeper into this than us. For all that I've said I know that we will miss our friends, community, food, culture and the sun.....but then again I am missing the food, culture, friends, family and settling down in front of the fire on a crisp winter's night with my loved one and a DECENT carry-out beer from some obscure brewery..... and then I'll be missing the sun, food, etc (see the pattern).

Whatever your story make sure that you enjoy it for everything it is whilst you are here :)

Nice one mate...I was getting a bit depressed by all the "heart pouring" ..totally agree..

...apart from the selfish reasons of escapism, weather and food etc..my prime reason for being here is my darling wife...never been happier.

I have three citizenships thus so called "home countries" to which I/we could potentially "return"...not likely in the near term, maybe Australia one day...just for the BBQ'ed centre cut lamb chops and a VB..lol

I was also a Civil Servant.

I am reminded of the old story of the Ant and the Grasshopper. I will reiterate it here. The Ant worked hard and planned for the future. He knew that winter (old age) was inevitably coming. Every now and then he would run into the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper would say that the Ant should just party and have a good time. The future is not here yet! I'm having so much fun. The Grasshopper would say and laugh. The Ant would say winter is coming, I must prepare, and you should too. Preparing for the future equals financial planning and saving resources. Well as it must winter came. The Ant then heard a chirping at his door and a knocking. The Ant opened the door slightly with the key chain on. He peered out. He saw the Grasshopper. The Grasshopper said. Let me in and give me what you worked hard for. I know you saved and prepared for the future. The Ant politely said. I worked hard. I saved for my future and my famalies. Didn't you? The Grasshopper said. I was too busy having a good time to save for the future. The Ant said. I have enough for me and my family. It would not be fair to them to just give it to you! I'm sorry you must learn to live within your means. If you must return to old blighty and live in a council estate then so be it. In blighty you may be able to get a job in Mcdonald's or Costco, or some where. Also, they will provide socialized medicine for you.That is unlikely here.The Thais will give you a one way airplane tiket when they deport you. Perhaps a biological family member will send you funds for a one way airplane tiket, or your embassy will give you a loan. Because the Ant was Jai dee. He gave the Grasshopper a small crust of bread. But the Ant said. I have responsabilites to my family. I cannot support you and yours as well. This is a one time gift. God bless you. The Ant was true to his word.

This guy wants his piece of cake and yours as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All this is changing now in the UK , soon you will not be entitled to state benefits if you leave the UK for a set time , maybe a good thing for us tax payers who live within our means , and not in dreams

I feel sorry for those that can't go home due to finanacial reasons, but not so sorry as the poor of Thailand who were born into a world where there is little way out of. Most western countries have some form of socialism: free libraries, free education, and available jobs at a reasonable pay for those willing to work. Some poor farm girl from Issan doesn't have that opportunity, and her parents send her off to the cities to SUPPORT THEM anyway she can!

It all comes down to long range planning and the willingness to work. If you think life is a free ride then somewhere along the way it's going to catch up to you. It's the same with burning your bridges behind you... IT WAS YOUR CHOICE!

If you choose the wrong husband or wife then it was YOUR CHOICE when things inevitably fail!

I know lots of reasonably young farangs who basically burnt their bridges at home and came to Thailand to have a good time. Now they have to eek out a meagre living like so many of the Thais do. It was a choice they made and now have to live with it. Sorry, but there's no free ride in life... except for a lucky few who hit some lottery jackpot.

I think you are taking a very narrow view of the problems people run into. Some of us came over here to work. We have real, respectable jobs and families to support, but then get unexpectedly laid off. That happened to me a few years back and I was scared. Very scared. It is a terrifying position to be in. I was not irresponsible at all. My employer deceived me and then cast me out into the street with barely anything left to my name.

It is a very scary and very terrifying situation to know you will be forced out of the country and unable to stay and try to do your best to support your family. Not everyone who gets into this situation is simply irresponsible. After being here for a decade or two, the costs of trying to relocate an entire family back to the country of your birth are quite high, and the requirements to stay in Thailand can be overly burdensome. I think you are being very unfair to those who find themselves victims of an unfortunate situation.

The reality is that the only thing you can do may be to report yourself to the police for a visa violation. They will invoke contacts at your embassy to forcibly repatriate you after you have served your time in jail for committing a crime. Each country has their own rules for dealing with crimes of this nature.

And I bet the Thai Government took millions of Baht off you in taxes, then cast you off with entitlements to....... ZERO?

A one week tourist who contributes little gets treated better.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All this is changing now in the UK , soon you will not be entitled to state benefits if you leave the UK for a set time , maybe a good thing for us tax payers who live within our means , and not in dreams

True i left england 16 years ago, barely been back- i dont get a penny in any benefits , no national insurance pension in the future either. Ive made my own arrangements. But for those if your 20s maybe 30s, dont expect there will be a state pension for you when you hit 65- will be long gone by then or be so small as to be insignificant