Thai Govt Coalition Partners, PAD React To Peace Talks

webfact

Coalition Partners, PAD React to Peace Talks

BANGKOK: -- Following talks between the government and red shirt protesters yesterday, coalition partners have come out to express their opinions in terms of when the House of Representatives should be dissolved by the prime minister. Veteran politician, and key figure in the Chart Thai Pattana Party, Banharn Silapa-archa, said he thinks the talks which took place between representatives of the government and the red shirt protesters is a good sign. However, he feels that right now is not the right time for a House dissolution. Banharn said he thinks the appropriate time for the move would be the end of this year.

He claims that the government has many issues that still need to be dealt with before the country can go to general elections. At the same time though, Banharn said he feels that the prime minister needs to show his sincerity by saying exacting when charter amendments will take place and how a House dissolution will follow.

Meanwhile, another major coalition partner such as Bhum Jai Thai has come out to agree with Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's views that a charter amendment should take place before the dissolution of the House of Representatives. The party said the rules and regulations would be in place for another rounds for elections.

As for the People's Alliance for Democracy...they announced last night following the developments that PAD core leaders would be meeting to assess the situation today at 10 A.M.

Meanwhile, the PAD political arm, the New Politics Party, has issued a statement saying that the talks are a good sign for peace. However, it is concerned that the red shirt leaders might have a hidden agenda in their attempts to discuss with the government.

The party feels that a decision cannot be made by only the two groups, namely the government and the red shirt protesters. Other groups representing varying viewpoints should also be given an opportunity to have a say as to what should happen.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-03-29

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They all make very good points. If the reds really want to see and and to the stalemate then they must be willing to compromise. Ultimatums will get them nowhere.

All, no almost all. The yellow shirts should keep their mouth shut and crawl back into their pig stalls.

They have no right to speak at all after the damage they have done to this country.

For all the other points I agree with the talks, and charter amendments, however if the government now makes charter amendments and the newly elected government does not agree with them, they will change it again, and if that would be a red shirt backed party we have the yellow shirts protesting again.

My opinion, no charter amendments yet, first the elections, and then the amendments by the majority 'chosen by the people' and not backed by any protest group / army or any other group.

They all make very good points. If the reds really want to see and and to the stalemate then they must be willing to compromise. Ultimatums will get them nowhere.

All, no almost all. The yellow shirts should keep their mouth shut and crawl back into their pig stalls.

They have no right to speak at all after the damage they have done to this country.

For all the other points I agree with the talks, and charter amendments, however if the government now makes charter amendments and the newly elected government does not agree with them, they will change it again, and if that would be a red shirt backed party we have the yellow shirts protesting again.

My opinion, no charter amendments yet, first the elections, and then the amendments by the majority 'chosen by the people' and not backed by any protest group / army or any other group.

IMO, the charter amendments should be separate from any election.

I don't believe the Democrats are suggesting that they should control any changes because they are currently in government. I think they are saying "lets get the changes done that suits all of Thailand, have it approved by the people, and then lets have an election."

The main problem that most people have with the 2007 constitution is that there was not enough discussion.

What they need this time is a lot of discussion. Make sure the people understand what it is all about. Make sure the people see both sides of any arguments. And then let them decide.

Once they have decided, make sure it can't be changed without a majority (or 'super' majority) of support of the people.

Then have an election and let the elected government worry about running the country, rather than changing the rules so they can ruin the country.

Edited by anotherpeter

As this is such a contentious issue, then in order for fair play and to allow all people to vote a) for their party or :) for the party with charter amendments they agree with. Both the democrates and Phue Thai and all other parties need to outline what their charter amendments will be prior to an election, as well as other policy statements (on education, health, the economy etc.) to allow people to vote for which party is best for the country. Rather than this red / yellow boll**ks that is currently going on.

Dissolving the house now allows NO party time to prepare these important facts and to disseminate these facts to the voting public.

Imagine voting for Phue Thai and then finding out they implement charter amendments which KEEP Taksin in prision - The voting public woudl be so pi**ed off.

Thailand will need some new political parties then...

Thailand will need some new political parties then...

:)

Amendments to the constitution should come first. It should be a referendum that is decided by the people of Thailand and not by ANY political party. That will mean deciding what the changes that should be made are to be, allowing time for all sides of the issues to address the voters, and allowing the voters to decide. Each amendment should be considered serparatly but all in one referendum. This would deal with some forms of electoral law reform etc.

Then would be the appropriate time for a new general election.

Forcing the election by the Red is a no win situation for both. I think if the Reds are so confident that they can take the win the government by election, and then they can spend all their effort in convincing the electoral they are the solution to Thailand problems during the next election. But I don’t think they are confident to get to win and they want it now. As I said it is a impossible scenario

Not quite. Ultimatums got them to talk to Abhisist directly when he initially refused. The trend now is favouring the red shirts. They've remained non violent and have symphatisers in Bangkok. As long as they keep up the pressure the Government will have to agree to elections soon.The constitution question is a red herring to stall by the Government. They don't think they have the numbers to win an election, their coalition allies are fickle. The disruptions by the reds to commercial life can be even worse if they rejected by the Government. The only compromise possible is for the Government to allow elections about 2 months from now. That'll get the reds off the streets and people can resume their normal every day activities. A possible solution would be an election for a trade off for Thaksin to get clemency but barred from politics for ever. When he comes back and he breaches the terms of his clemency they could put him under house arrest incommunicado. Shades of Burma. It's not a perfect solution but there will never be one. At least this way they'll have more control over him than now when he's a loose canon.

Not quite. Ultimatums got them to talk to Abhisist directly when he initially refused. The trend now is favouring the red shirts. They've remained non violent and have symphatisers in Bangkok. As long as they keep up the pressure the Government will have to agree to elections soon.The constitution question is a red herring to stall by the Government. They don't think they have the numbers to win an election, their coalition allies are fickle. The disruptions by the reds to commercial life can be even worse if they rejected by the Government. The only compromise possible is for the Government to allow elections about 2 months from now. That'll get the reds off the streets and people can resume their normal every day activities. A possible solution would be an election for a trade off for Thaksin to get clemency but barred from politics for ever. When he comes back and he breaches the terms of his clemency they could put him under house arrest incommunicado. Shades of Burma. It's not a perfect solution but there will never be one. At least this way they'll have more control over him than now when he's a loose canon.

"The only compromise possible is for the Government to allow elections about 2 months from now. "

That's not a compromise. That's giving in completely. That's exactly what the reds have asked for.

Lookpapa --- I am afraid you have your fact wrong. Abhisit never refused to meet on principle with the red leaders. He did refuse some of the conditions they set for that meeting. Including meeting whilst surrounded by a mob.

There have always been some red sympathizers in Bangkok but after the last 2 weeks it has become more apparent that Bangkok itself is finished with quietly allowing the Reds to disrupt commerce all over the city. Having some reds wearing other colors and moving ahead of the protests didn't make that much of a difference for them. Having some BKK residents come out in support didn't do much for them. Continueing to threaten the whole city bit them hard and the people started coming out this weekend to tell them.

Lookpapa --- I am afraid you have your fact wrong. Abhisit never refused to meet on principle with the red leaders. He did refuse some of the conditions they set for that meeting. Including meeting whilst surrounded by a mob.

There have always been some red sympathizers in Bangkok but after the last 2 weeks it has become more apparent that Bangkok itself is finished with quietly allowing the Reds to disrupt commerce all over the city. Having some reds wearing other colors and moving ahead of the protests didn't make that much of a difference for them. Having some BKK residents come out in support didn't do much for them. Continueing to threaten the whole city bit them hard and the people started coming out this weekend to tell them.

If they keep this up, the city will for sure go against them. Though I am amazed at the support they still have. Plenty of people at the rally this weekend.

What scares me is when the army decides they have had enough...no more injured (real or just loss of face) soldiers. It could really degenerate into a mess....I commend the government for allowing this circus to continue. I wouldn't think many other countries would allow this to go on for so long?

I commend the government for allowing this circus to continue. I wouldn't think many other countries would allow this to go on for so long?

How many governments do you know who violently crack down on a peaceful protest? Oh wait: China, Burma, North Korea, Zimbabwe.. right, quite as lot actually, but none that Thailand would aspire to imitate. The Ukrainian Orange Revolution, while probably not really a revolution, took quite a while too.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I commend the government for allowing this circus to continue. I wouldn't think many other countries would allow this to go on for so long?

How many governments do you know who violently crack down on a peaceful protest? Oh wait: China, Burma, North Korea, Zimbabwe.. right, quite as lot actually, but none that Thailand would aspire to imitate. The Ukrainian Orange Revolution, while probably not really a revolution, took quite a while too.

Oct 7th

Add in US, UK and Germany. Korea at various times :) Oh and the Thai government of a red persuasion too.

The Orange revolution has just been overthrown in a vote oddly enough. Another irony of the Ukraine was that until recently the minority parties combined to keep the largest single party out of power in the parliament.

In short governments will use their power to oppress their people and it doesnt really matter what form the government takes although some may be more subtle than others. Persoanlly I dont advocate governments doing this but history shows they do have a propensity for doing exactly so. Credit to Thailand this time around.

No Western countries anywhere would allow unlicensed parades through the city centre that tie up traffic. You want to protest against GW Bush? No problem. Here is your caged area. Protest outside of that area and go to jail.

A protest is about expressing your views, and trying to sway others to join you by publicising your plight and perceived injustices. It is NOT about inhibiting the rights of all your fellow countrymen who disagree with you. That is an illegal mob, and that is what the reds have become. They must either stop interfering with the normal operations of Bangkokians, or be imprisoned.

The time for a soft hand is over. A conflict will result if the reds do not leave, and it will be entirely the reds fault.

The yellow shirts should keep their mouth shut and crawl back into their pig stalls.

They are now a political party and in a democracy every political party's leaders have a right to speak their mind.

A nice little swerve from a Thaksin apologist who wants no obstacles to be placed in front of his hero's objective to bend the state to his (ie Thaksin's) personalised mafia.

Not quite. Ultimatums got them to talk to Abhisist directly when he initially refused.

Where have you been? Abhisit never refused to talk to the Redshirts. All along he has been offering to talk to them. I watched Abhisit being interviewed on Thai television nightly during the first week of the protests, and in every single interview he said he was ready to talk with Red leaders at any time.

It has been the Redshirt leaders who have refused to enter into talks, until now, saying they would not talk unless Parliament was dissolved first. Now they are talking to the government without the pre-condition. So it is the government, not the Redshirts, who have the upper hand as far as entering into negotiations in the first place.

It's hilarious the way the Reds have tried to paint the talks as some sort of victory for their demonstration. Only another Red would buy that propaganda.

Yes, the Orange Revolution took a long time -- and commercially paralyzed Kiev for a long time -- but there the similarity ends with today in Thailand. The Orange were funded by G. W. Bush , so that their elitist minority could get control over ths nasty Russian ethnic peasant majority in the south -- they finally won -- but the story still continues there .

There is no quick fix for Thailand either -- we only need a valid starting point .

violent crack down on mass protests in North Korea?

Edited by mazeltov

Not quite. Ultimatums got them to talk to Abhisist directly when he initially refused.

Where have you been? Abhisit never refused to talk to the Redshirts. All along he has been offering to talk to them. I watched Abhisit being interviewed on Thai television nightly during the first week of the protests, and in every single interview he said he was ready to talk with Red leaders at any time.

It has been the Redshirt leaders who have refused to enter into talks, until now, saying they would not talk unless Parliament was dissolved first. Now they are talking to the government without the pre-condition. So it is the government, not the Redshirts, who have the upper hand as far as entering into negotiations in the first place.

It's hilarious the way the Reds have tried to paint the talks as some sort of victory for their demonstration. Only another Red would buy that propaganda.

"It's hilarious the way the Reds have tried to paint the talks as some sort of victory for their demonstration. Only another Red would buy that propaganda."

They've gone from a demonised and belittled "rabble" on the streets to 6 hours of prime time television over 2 two days in live debate with the Prime Minister..........

And made their points to a nationwide audience........

looks like some sort of success to me.

philw

all the PAD wanted to do is get ride of Taksin. i never herd them say how they would make the country better. i find it funny that the PAD don't run for power. they got Taksin out then left the country in a mess and left it for another person to try and sorte it out. i have respect for this priminister for taking this job on. i think he has an impossible mission to succeed.

I always asked the question what are the PAD going to do to make things better. answer..nothing ! country is a mess thanks PAD!

all the PAD wanted to do is get ride of Taksin. i never herd them say how they would make the country better. i find it funny that the PAD don't run for power. they got Taksin out then left the country in a mess and left it for another person to try and sorte it out. i have respect for this priminister for taking this job on. i think he has an impossible mission to succeed.

I always asked the question what are the PAD going to do to make things better. answer..nothing ! country is a mess thanks PAD!

Sure, don't blame Thaksin for the corruption, the stealing, the rest ... blame the people that stood up to him!

Dead right.

Sure, don't blame Thaksin for the corruption, the stealing, the rest ... blame the people that stood up to him!

thats fine. i have no problem. moan complain and kick him out but they did not seem to care about what happens next. if u don't like some or something. by all means complain but u have to ccome up with something better. Other wise whats the point!