Hong Kong Photographic Shops

taxexile

i will be in hong kong in early july and would like to buy a digital camera and some lenses.

can anyone recommend a reliable photo supply shop with reasonable priced goods (looking for nikon equipment )and staff that have time to go over the features of the cameras , rather than the nathan road hooligan type shop assistants.

thanks.

can anyone recommend a reliable photo supply shop with reasonable priced goods (looking for nikon equipment )and staff that have time to go over the features of the cameras , rather than the nathan road hooligan type shop assistants.

I suggest that you check out this thread on a Nikon D70 Forum

I would suggest some of the larger specialty camera shops in Mong Kok. Take the MRT to Mong Kok station and take the exit to ladies market (D exit I think).

There are some reputable camera shops in this district. I'll see if I can find a card for the particular ones I am thinking of and post back.

i will be in hong kong in early july and would like to buy a digital camera and some lenses.

thanks.

Is camera really cheaper in HK than in Thailand?

I used to buy cameras, lenses and other accessories in Japan but these days I buy most of my photo supplies in Thailand. Just last week I bought a rather expensive Canon lens and at over B50,000 it was cheaper than the lowest price in Japan that I could search on internet. Plus you get a warranty that's valid in Thailand. If you buy it outside Thailand, chance is the warranty is no good here.

This is where I buy most of my supplies these days.

You might want to check out this store first before deciding to buy a new camera in HK. I don't know the prices over there but heard Canon 20D/10D prices at this store was cheaper than in HK when it was released that HK tourists were buying those cameras in bulks. They also have a branch on the 3rd store of MBK (Foto Thailand). Store clerks are quite knowledgeable and friendly at both stores.

i always thought that hong kong was a good deal cheaper than thailand for cameras , but its a couple of years since i've done any camera shopping , so i will get things priced before i go.

i know that shop in mbk , and will check their prices .

thanks for the input.

Is camera really cheaper in HK than in Thailand? 

Yes, if you know where to go (I'm not talking about the Nathan Rd husslers), and there's a much better selection - important if you're looking for lenses, etc.

No sales tax in HK.

Yes, if you know where to go (I'm not talking about the Nathan Rd husslers), and there's a much better selection - important if you're looking for lenses, etc.

No sales tax in HK.

I disagree!

Someone told me that digital cameras in Thailand are exempt import duty thus making them cheaper.

I spent some time looking at prices in Bangkok before going to Hong Kong. I wandered around Hong Kong for 3 or days and found that prices were about the same as in Bangkok. Some were more expensive and some cheaper but not a big difference. I decided to buy in Bangkok just for the sake of the guarantee.

The only thing I bought there was a new battery for my Nikon digital camera. I charged it and used it Thailand and after taking about 20 snaps it was dead. It was bought from a reputable chain store and tried to change it in Bangkok. No luck. I'm glad I didn't buy a camera and have the same experience.

Here's a few web sites that I use to check camera prices.

E C Mall

Photo Bug

Digital to Home

Also heard Camera World (or World Camera?) at the corner of Krung Kasem Rd and Lung Rd intersection hear Hua Lamphong station is also cheap. Never been there though.

Is HK prices cheaper than those huge outlets in Shinjuku, Tokyo (which in my opinion not so cheap)?