Abhisit

bangkokrick

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let's see if Abhisit delivers on new elections and dissolves the House. If he does this and everyone accepts results of next elections I think problem solved. :) Reds Win and thai people win!

Why should he dissolve the house? He is the elected Thai Pm under Thai law. Just because a few thousand People say that he should? Look for the silent majority because they won't be silent for much longer. See today at the Siam BTS most Thai people are sick of this.

Cheers, Rick

Rick ... as much as I agree that a lot are getting sick of a few thousand protestors, there were probably only a few hundred protesting against them at Siam BTS today.

Why should he dissolve the house? He is the elected Thai Pm under Thai law. Just because a few thousand People say that he should? Look for the silent majority because they won't be silent for much longer. See today at the Siam BTS most Thai people are sick of this.

Cheers, Rick

Have an election and see what happens. :) Maybe the regime is afraid??? :D

Who's gained the most from the talks?

While no one wedded to the color of their shirts will have changed their minds, seems to me the red shirts have given Abhisit a great PR-boost among the vast majority of neutrals. Being reasonable, comprimising and willing to listen are qualities highly valued in this society. I'd imagine Abhisit's electoral prospects have gone way up as a result.

I know there have been a lot of nonsensical comparisons between Abhisit and Obama, but one thing they both should learn: their media personalities are their partys' greatest assets, and the more these guys engage with the public like this the better their stock.

Hiding in the barracks was starting to look disastrous for Abhisit, but the Red shirts wrong-footed themselves big-time by calling him out. Playing to your opponents strengths is always a dumb move.

Well let's see if Abhisit delivers on new elections and dissolves the House. If he does this and everyone accepts results of next elections I think problem solved. :) Reds Win and thai people win!

Cheers, Rick

Rick ... as much as I agree that a lot are getting sick of a few thousand protestors, there were probably only a few hundred protesting against them at Siam BTS today.

Don't care if it was one (democracy). The Thais that I talk to are pig sick of Thaksin ruining their country. For Christ's sake it's been 4 years now since he was deposed. He has met his match with Abhisit and should realise that. Thaksin is a criminal on the run. Abhisit is the PM of Thailand and he has handled the current situation with dignity and he has gained a lot of support for doing so.

Cheers, Rick

Cheers, Rick

I don't think they are afraid at all, but why should they hold an early election. Come on Brit who are they up against. Thaksin's holed up in Dubai or .......................................

While no one wedded to the color of their shirts will have changed their minds, seems to me the red shirts have given Abhisit a great PR-boost among the vast majority of neutrals. Being reasonable, comprimising and willing to listen are qualities highly valued in this society. I'd imagine Abhisit's electoral prospects have gone way up as a result.

I know there have been a lot of nonsensical comparisons between Abhisit and Obama, but one thing they both should learn: their media personalities are their partys' greatest assets, and the more these guys engage with the public like this the better their stock.

Hiding in the barracks was starting to look disastrous for Abhisit, but the Red shirts wrong-footed themselves big-time by calling him out. Playing to your opponents strengths is always a dumb move.

Good post completely agree.

Cheers, Rick

^you mean Rick is tired of the Reds. Thai(s) I speak to are in full support of Reds and want elections. So it does go both ways mate. :)

:D OK ... so there are 2 people that you know that want elections now ... Thankfully they know they will get elections in 18 months at the latest.

Cheers, Rick

Brit, they don't need elections:

1) They have the support of the majority of MPs ... meaning support of the majority of Thailand.

2) They don't HAVE to have elections until the end of 2011.

3) They don't have to have elections because a few thousand people want them to.

It doesn't really matter if the PTP would win elections if they were held now, because the Democrats don't have to have elections.

And in the last election the Democrats got a similar number of seats and votes as the PPP. And given that they haven't done anything particularly bad since they came into power, and given that the Thaksin parties have been a pain in the a***, I would think that the Democrats have a reasonable chance of doing even better if an election was held now.

But that is irrelevant, because they don't have to have an election now.

^you mean Rick is tired of the Reds. Thai(s) I speak to are in full support of Reds and want elections. So it does go both ways mate. :)

I am tired of Thailand not being united and not growing into a first world country You are probably hoping for civil war and a weaker Baht, so your pension goes a little further.

Cheers, Rick

I am tired of Thailand not being united and not growing into a first world country You are probably hoping for civil war and a weaker Baht, so your pension goes a little further.

Cheers, Rick

Well many years away from a pension, though prob could retire if I wanted, but I think be a bit rude before I was 40. :D Anyways no I do not wish for Civil War, but they need to resolve this and what better way then the democratic process? However I can see why the regime does not want this - maybe a death nail to their own self interests rather than the country as a whole. :)

Edited by britmaveric

He didn't answer all the questions though did he?

and at one point he clearly started panicking.

If you want to gauge how much support for Abhisit has accumulated over the past two days, take a look at his Facebook profile/fan page thing. It was about 100,000 people on Saturday, has currently 113,593 and I predict it'll go over 120,000 by this time tomorrow.

Obviously nothing scientific about it but he clearly is benefiting from these televised debates.

Well many years away from a pension, though prob could retire if I wanted, but I think be a bit rude before I was 40. :D Anyways no I do not wish for Civil War, but they need to resolve this and what better way then the democratic process? However I can see why the regime does not want this - maybe a death nail to their own self interests rather than the country as a whole. :)

The regime is an elected Government, so what's the problem. Apologies for the retirement bit, but you seem to have been on TV for at least the last 100 years.

We must agree to disagree.

Cheers, Rick

Given the arguments Abhisit presented in the debate, there is no case for all except the (red) color blind for immediate elections; not only would this solve nothing (people seem to be conveniently forgetting the 100,000 yellow shirts ready to roll out if things don't go their way...), it would only make matters worse. What's wrong with Abhisit's proposal for 9 months? Buddhists prefer the middle path - not 15 days, not 1year+9 months; Abhisit's compromise is fair and reasonable.

Why would anyone have a problem with waiting 9 months and the chance to set it up properly and fairly so that everyone can abide by the result? Who would stand to lose by this?

Gads Brit ... that must have been a rough life for you not to be 40 :D You know that the current government was elected by the Members of Parliament and in Thailand --- that IS the democratic way --- you also know that for Thaksin to be allowed anywhere near Thailand and not to serve his time in jail will likely actually really cause a civil war. Remember when the phrase Double-Standard was introduced to Thailand :D

Huh? You must have been watching the ละคร on the wrong channel buddy.

Abhisit IS a smart man, but it's always hard to undo all the harm that went on before... no matter how nice and wisy you are. Once a party (or person) loses people's trust then it's almost impossible to get it back again. It doesn't really matter which side the people are on. The rich will use the poor for their own purpose. Thaksin's problem was he was a megolomaniac and started to believe his own BS, and thought he could do no wrong. Unfortunately, he stepped on the wrong toes. And, the Reds problem is they attached their hopes to the wrong star. At the heart of the matter I don't see much difference between either party. Those at the top are power mongers willing to do anything legal or illegal.

No worries Rick, and yes it does seem like a 100 years on TV. :)

Any rate what would you propose if no new elections? If constant protesting is the alternative - I think I know which way I would lean towards.

I would lean towards seeing this term out and then holding elections in 2011, but with no cheating terms, but I guess that is just impossible? Also the smart move would be to give Thaksin's money to the North and then Abhisit is guaranteed votes. Is that vote buying????

Cheers, Rick

^well returning Khun T dosh to north will make them happy, but since it's from Khun T even more happier. (indirectly through Abhisit) Anyways doesnt work out to much per person if you spread it out. :) So I think that would back fire and doubt it would be legal nor faire for the other provinces in Thailand. Anyways holding elections early with the stipulation that everyone abide by the results (no protests) is a fair compromise. (9months from now is fine)

Given the arguments Abhisit presented in the debate, there is no case for all except the (red) color blind for immediate elections; not only would this solve nothing (people seem to be conveniently forgetting the 100,000 yellow shirts ready to roll out if things don't go their way...), it would only make matters worse. What's wrong with Abhisit's proposal for 9 months? Buddhists prefer the middle path - not 15 days, not 1year+9 months; Abhisit's compromise is fair and reasonable.

Why would anyone have a problem with waiting 9 months and the chance to set it up properly and fairly so that everyone can abide by the result? Who would stand to lose by this?

"Who would stand to lose by this?"

Thaksin. And therefore, the reds.

^well returning Khun T dosh to north will make them happy, but since it's from Khun T even more happier. (indirectly through Abhisit) Anyways doesnt work out to much per person if you spread it out. :) So I think that would back fire and doubt it would be legal nor faire for the other provinces in Thailand. Anyways holding elections early with the stipulation that everyone abide by the results (no protests) is a fair compromise. (9months from now is fine)

I was thinking more of projects than personal use. I still think that Abhisit spoke well whatever the outcome.

Cheerrs, Rick

The problem with "the stipulation that everyone abide by the results" is that everyone, all 65 million (or voters within that), need to agree, not just the reds and Abhisit.

And what would happen if Abhisit agrees, then the reds win with some obvious cheating (example only!). Can anything be done about the cheating, or the results have to be accepted?

Ofcourse, you say "no cheating", but maybe there is something that is a bit grey (just to bring another colour into it).

Moving this on a little bit, it'll be interesting to see what the red shirst next move is. I mean, if they start ramping it up, they are going to lose a lot of sympathy, and if Abhisit repeats his 'elections in 9 months offer' and they start getting all aggressive with the 'civil disobedience' threat and the army crack their heads, I don't think they'll get a lot of sympathy from the majority.

Huh? You must have been watching the ละคร on the wrong channel buddy.

May be.

I guess you watched the entire debate in Thai and understood every word.