Uk Passport For Thai

My Wife has her residence permint (date of issue 14March09) and pass her life in UK test Oct 2008 I thought after 1yrs of passing the test and living in the UK see could apply for an UK passport?

Can't find any info??

HELP.

Its 3 years, as far as I understand it, it starts from when your lady first entered the Country,Even if she came for a holiday visa and then went home , and came back, the time starts from the first Visit., Correct me if a am wrong.

Does a spouse have to reside in the UK in order to be eligible for a UK passport? Does the length of a marriage have a bearing, meaning if one is married for many years but has no wish to reside in the UK, is a spouse stil eligible for UK citizenship?

In order to qualify for naturalisation as British the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen must, among other criteria, satisfy certain residency requirements.

1) They must be resident in the UK with no time limit on their stay; i.e. ILR or the equivalent. But there is no minimum time they must have held ILR.

2) They must have been legally in the UK for at least 3 years, and been in the UK on the exact date three years prior to submitting the application.

3) During the three years prior to submitting the application, they must have spent no more than 360 days in total out of the UK, with no more than 90 days in the final year.

Time spent in the UK with a visit or other type of non settlement visa does count toward this qualifying period; provided they now have ILR or the equivalent and can satisfy 2) and 3).

Please note that these criteria apply only to the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen; the requirements are different for other adult applicants, e.g. an unmarried partner. The main difference being that the residential qualifying period for others is 5 years, not 3.

See British citizenship and the appropriate links from that page.

Thanks, that was most helpful

In order to qualify for naturalisation as British the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen must, among other criteria, satisfy certain residency requirements.

1) They must be resident in the UK with no time limit on their stay; i.e. ILR or the equivalent. But there is no minimum time they must have held ILR.

2) They must have been legally in the UK for at least 3 years, and been in the UK on the exact date three years prior to submitting the application.

3) During the three years prior to submitting the application, they must have spent no more than 360 days in total out of the UK, with no more than 90 days in the final year.

Time spent in the UK with a visit or other type of non settlement visa does count toward this qualifying period; provided they now have ILR or the equivalent and can satisfy 2) and 3).

Please note that these criteria apply only to the spouse or civil partner of a British citizen; the requirements are different for other adult applicants, e.g. an unmarried partner. The main difference being that the residential qualifying period for others is 5 years, not 3.

See British citizenship and the appropriate links from that page.