Guinness No More?

ChiangMaiFun

They are pulling out of Thailand? How long do we have left? got to get some pints in at the RL before the plug is pulled!!!

++++++++++++

I thought the RL plugging had been already pulled....

:)

Just kidding K...... I'm sure there are others who miss your input just like I do...

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

Not that I like it , but why?

The same with British American Tobacco, they seem to have pulled the plug on Benson's. 555's and London's.

They must have turned over billions, don't get why they are no longer interested in LOS???

All the Chiang Mai Guinness pubs: O'Malley's, Red Lion, Olde Bell, UN Irish Pub and The Pub, were sold two barrels each about 2 weeks ago. Not sure how much the others have got left, At the Olde Bell we've probably got about 40 pints left in the pump.

According to the distributor Diethelm, Guinness wanted to double the price of a barrel. Diageo's story may be quite different of course!

Strongbow are another company to have abandoned LoS in recent weeks.

They're giving the horrible stuff away free in the UK. :)

Free pint of Guinness at O'Neill's

Register 'n' print

What: Free pintWhen: Every dayHow: Register & print voucherEnds: Tues 6 AprilWhere: Nearest O'Neill'sRestrictions: One voucher per person per day. Age 18 and over. Alternative drinks: pint of Guinness Red, 220ml bottle of Club Orange, Lemon or Red Lemonade or a 284ml bottle of Cidona. The voucher cannot be used with any other offer. The voucher's not valid at O'Neill's London Drury Lane or Stansted. In Scotland only the soft drinks are available as the freebie.

To be honest I don't think it was worth their while. Think about how many barrels they would have sold all over Thailand. Chiang Mai we're talking about a few bars. Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket ok add some more there. How about Khon Kaen, Udon, Ubon etc do you think they were selling a lot there. I think too much hassles for not a lot of profit.

Anyway that's my take, what do you think?

To be honest I don't think it was worth their while. Think about how many barrels they would have sold all over Thailand. Chiang Mai we're talking about a few bars. Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket ok add some more there. How about Khon Kaen, Udon, Ubon etc do you think they were selling a lot there. I think too much hassles for not a lot of profit.

You may be right in the case of Chiang Mai - more missionary work than profit induced, but they had a lot of outlets in Bangkok and Pattaya. If they couldn't make money there, one questions their ability to maintain an international brand at all

Might it not be possible to run emergency-supplies, in a fishing-vessel converted for-the-purpose, up the river ? I understand this works down South, for diesel-fuel ?? Perhaps the Irish Navy might help-out ??? :)

Word (on Phuket and Song Kla) is that Hieneken distributor is picking it up.. However one source (irish pub who supplies murphys) says theres going to be a 6 - 9 month window with no Guiness.. But it will be back at end of the year via the new distribution agreement.

Word (on Phuket and Song Kla) is that Hieneken distributor is picking it up.. However one source (irish pub who supplies murphys) says theres going to be a 6 - 9 month window with no Guiness.. But it will be back at end of the year via the new distribution agreement.

Good info LivinLOS! I had a feeling this had more to do withe Diethelm the distributer than anything else!

You may be right in the case of Chiang Mai - more missionary work than profit induced, but they had a lot of outlets in Bangkok and Pattaya. If they couldn't make money there, one questions their ability to maintain an international brand at all

I would not question their ability to run an international brand and make a profit. They know how to run a business.

Sounds more like the Thai distributor trying to be greedy and there is only one way to deal with that. you are in the game , you must know the score.

Was this thread an early April Fools joke?

Definitely not an April Fool

I would not question their ability to run an international brand and make a profit. They know how to run a business.

Sounds more like the Thai distributor trying to be greedy and there is only one way to deal with that. you are in the game , you must know the score.

The trouble with the cut and paste feature here is that quotes become out of context! I agree with you entirely caf. I'm sure it is more to do with the local distributer than Daigeo.

Agree with gotlost, except OK is not enough praise for a pint drunk in its homeland:

Not sure I understand the fuss. Guinness, the beer I can eat for breakfast (with soda bread, maybe a soup) before pulling the plow all day, or at least until lunch, does not travel well at all, and it cannot be made away from home without its true ingredients.

I have been told about fine beer and traveling qualities by tearful Irishmen who own pubs, bars, and restaurants all across the U.S. And try as I might, I cannot reproduce, in drinking the export far from its island home, even a hint of fond memories of the olde sod, a bracing coastal breeze, or Dublin, pint after pint.

Far better to stop drinking until March 1, and fly to Guinness until after Songkran.

Edited by CMX

• 3 months later...

i heard the new guinness is from dublin. :licklips: guinness in thailand  was from malaysia.  i'll try my first one before the big game tomorrow - chiang mai fc  v uthai thani.  pre-match meeting for supporters and shareholders at the red lion 4pm. its also happy hour. nice one.

does the pub sell guinness? did the olde bell end selling it?

Edited by november222