Transfer Files Win98 To Xp Pro

opalhort

Hi,

My old PC is Win98 (IE/OE6) and new one XP Pro (also IE/OE6) on a LAN.

I used the File/Settings transfer wizzard to move things and almost everything worked just fine.

BUT:

Some folders in the OE6 Folder list (on the XP PC) do not show up. Only about 70% of the folders show and are OK.

The data appears to have transfered since the files (*.dbx) do show in the folder where all data is stored (.....Application Data...) showing the same size as on the old PC.

Any ideas how I could get these folder files to show in OE6 on the XP PC?

opalhort

Hi,

My old PC is Win98 (IE/OE6) and new one XP Pro (also IE/OE6) on a LAN.

I used the File/Settings transfer wizzard to move things and almost everything worked just fine.

BUT:

Some folders in the OE6 Folder list (on the XP PC) do not show up. Only about 70% of the folders show and are OK.

The data appears to have transfered since the files (*.dbx) do show in the folder where all data is stored (.....Application Data...) showing the same size as on the old PC.

Any ideas how I could get these folder files to show in OE6 on the XP PC?

opalhort

You could try deleting (or moving to somewhere safe first :o ) the file "folders.dbx" from the XP machine and then restart OE. OE should then rebuild its folders database.

But note: you will lose any structure to your folders - they will all be placed under the "Inbox". (I just tried it - so now I have deleted the newly created "Folders.dbx" and copied back the old one, so I have the original structure back).

So it might be better to add the folders to the XP machine's OE, by right clicking an existing folder and then choosing "New folder...". If the name matches the "missing" folder name, it should be added OK and contain the emails in that .dbx file.

(Obviously keep a copy of everything before you start :o ).

Edited by RDN

But note: you will  lose any structure to your folders - they will all be placed  under the "Inbox". (I just tried it - so now I have deleted the newly created "Folders.dbx" and copied back the old one, so I have the original structure back).

So it might be better to add the folders to the XP machine's OE, by right clicking an existing  folder and then choosing "New folder...". If the name matches the "missing" folder name, it should be added OK and contain the emails in that .dbx file.

(Obviously keep a copy of everything before  you  start :o ).

Thanks for your reply.

I tried both options already (new Folders.dbx and new folder (same name) in current structure) but none worked. :D

When I create a 'same name' folder the original .dbx file is duplicated in the ..Application Data... (original and duplication showing the same size) but still the contens does not show up!

Any other ideas?

opalhort

what happened when you attempted to export the message data?

I didn't use export. I used the file and settings transfer wizzard which comes with XP. because on the Win98 PC it will export only to MS Outlook or MS Exchange.

I tried it but OE6 on the XP PC can't import it.

opalhort

I tried both options already (new Folders.dbx and new folder (same name) in current structure) but none worked.  :o

When I create a 'same name' folder the original .dbx file is duplicated in the ..Application Data... (original and duplication showing the same size) but still the contens does not show up!

Any other ideas?

opalhort

Oh dear, now I can only only guess... :D Maybe there's something odd with the folder name? You could try renaming it on the old W98 PC - or create a new folder with a simpler name and copy all the emails into it. Then use the transfer wizard again.

Or you could try "compacting" the database folder. Have a look in the help. I read somewhere that this helps to "fix" corrupt database files. But maybe you will lose the corrupt folder for ever, so back it up somewhere first.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi,

Thanks for all of your replies RDN.

I solved the problem. After using the wizzard the 'Folders.dbx' file (on the new PC) was only 80Kb but on the old PC it is over 500Kb.

Moved the 'Folders.dbx' on the new PC out of the way and manually copied the one from the old PC. and now all folders and their contens show up OK.

But I'm going to have many more questions regarding the new PC.

For example the spell checker in OE6 is not working - creates an error, etc.etc. but will ask more under new topics once I'm entirely lost.

Thanks again,

opalhort

...Moved the 'Folders.dbx' on the new PC out of the way and manually copied the one from the old PC.  and now all folders and their contens show up OK...

I'm glad you managed to fix it - I know what it's like to be baffled by a problem, and I usually only ask questions on this forum, so it's nice to know I can sometimes be of help!

...After using the wizzard the 'Folders.dbx' file (on the new PC) was only 80Kb but on the old PC it is over 500Kb....

...For example the spell checker in OE6 is not working - creates an error, etc.etc. ...

:o:D My folders.dbx file is 16 Megs! I think I've been using OE for about 10 years and thrown nothing away!

I also remember getting a spell checker problem about a year ago - probably just after I upgraded from W98 to XP. I look forward to hearing about yours :D

...After using the wizzard the 'Folders.dbx' file (on the new PC) was only 80Kb but on the old PC it is over 500Kb....

...For example the spell checker in OE6 is not working - creates an error, etc.etc. ...

:o:D My folders.dbx file is 16 Megs! I think I've been using OE for about 10 years and thrown nothing away!

I also remember getting a spell checker problem about a year ago - probably just after I upgraded from W98 to XP. I look forward to hearing about yours :D

My Folders.dbx file is small because I frequently clean it, but all message files amount to just under 800MB.

How did you clear your problem with the spell checker?

I've tried to replace 'Custom.dic' but OE6 on XP still refuses to do a spell check.

opalhort

My Folders.dbx file is small because I frequently clean it, but all message files amount to just under 800MB.

I've tried to replace 'Custom.dic' but OE6 on XP still refuses to do a spell check.

opalhort

This sounds very much like the problem I had. Unfortunately I can't remember how I fixed my problem. Anyway, I found these solutions on the web:

http://www.tech-pro.net/howto_010.html

http://www.tweakxp.com/article139870.aspx

http://forums.techguy.org/t361332.html

They all refer to the same fix, so I hope it works. Please let us know how you get on.

PS. How do you "clean" your "folders.dbx" file? I'd like to do the same to mine :D

opalhort

This sounds very much like the problem I had. Unfortunately I can't remember how I fixed my problem. Anyway, I found these solutions on the web:

They all refer to the same fix, so I hope it works. Please let us know how you get on.

PS. How do you "clean" your "folders.dbx" file? I'd like to do the same to mine :D

Thanks RDN, one more problem solved and fixed :D

Two down, xxxx to go. I wish XP would be as easy to handle as Win98 but what else can you expect from MS

I never cleaned my 'Folders.dbx' but I seldom delete folders, only mails and don't use any news groups which clutter up the folder very fast.

The only thing I do is to compact frequently.

Thanks again,

opalhort

opalhort

Thanks RDN, one more problem solved and fixed :D

Two down, xxxx to go. I wish XP would be as easy to handle as Win98 but what else can you expect from MS

I never cleaned my 'Folders.dbx' but I seldom delete folders, only mails and don't use any news groups which clutter up the folder very fast.

The only thing I do is to compact frequently.

Thanks again,

opalhort

tried to edit my post but for some reason can't get into the edit mode.

When I mentioned that I frequently compact the folders: I've seen the 'Folders.dbx' file to go down in size if I have deleted a folder in OE6 and then compacted the folders.

This could be regarded as "cleaning", right?

opalhort

tried to edit my post but for some reason can't get into the edit mode.

When I mentioned that I frequently compact the folders: I've seen the 'Folders.dbx' file to go down in size if I have deleted a folder in OE6 and then compacted the folders.

This could be regarded as "cleaning", right?

opalhort

Yes, you've got only 30 minutes to edit your post before it is "fixed".

I think my "Folders.dbx" file is large because I have 690 folders and 397 Mb of files :o . I'd be interested to know what your numbers are :D . I'll also have a look on the web to see what I can find out about this file. It's possible that it's already as small as it can be for me. :D

I think my "Folders.dbx" file is large because I have 690 folders and 397 Mb of files :o . I'd be interested to know what your numbers are :D . I'll also have a look on the web to see what I can find out about this file. It's possible that it's already as small as it can be for me. :D

I have 239 Folders and 780Mb (about 14,000 e-mails incl. attachments, none from a news reader though!)

Who had the idea to limit the edit mode to 30 mins? why not block edit once a reply has been posted? For my old brain it may take 2 hours to digest my own post and realize I made a mistake!

regrads

opalhort

I have 239 Folders and 780Mb (about 14,000 e-mails incl. attachments, none from a news reader though!)

Who had the idea to limit the edit mode to 30 mins? why not block edit once a reply has been posted? For my old brain it may take 2 hours to digest my own post and realize I made a mistake!

regrads

opalhort

So, I've got 30,200 emails in 690 folders and 397 MB

You've got 14,000 emails in 239 folders and 780 MB.

So why is my "folders.dbx" 16 MB and yours is only 0.5 MB? :D

Esoteric things, 'puters :D

regrads

opalhort

So, I've got 30,200 emails in 690 folders and 397 MB

You've got 14,000 emails in 239 folders and 780 MB.

So why is my "folders.dbx" 16 MB and yours is only 0.5 MB? :D

Esoteric things, 'puters :D

I have no idea why, probably you should ask Mr. Gates :D It's not the computers but MS that's esoteric :D

the reason why my mail folders are 780MB is because about 5,000 mails contain attachments (photos of plants - our business)

years ago I experimented with using OE as a news reader and quickly stopped it because it was filling up many files beyond my (then) available capacity.

Since you have 10 years worth of mails you probably started out with OE4 and migrated from there. in this case a complete restructuring of the "folders.dbx" may be the only solution in order to reduce size.

BUT 16 MB is not that much and the work involved to re-do 690 folders ... :D ... I would say forget it if things are working OK.

regards

opalhort