Tax Increase On Alcohol To Hit Foreigners And Benefit Tourist Police

Rimmer

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yet another display of anti-foreigner sentiment. This change of course is completely illogical. It's the Thais who are the most to blame for the high death toll each Songkran, thus this new tax should affect everyone yet they are doing what they do best - pointing the finger of blame at someone else.

this is a huge increase on a bottle of beer, consider the current cheepest in pattaya is 35baht this will almost double that, are they crazy or what, and to try to tax foreigners even more is just about the cazyest thing i've heard yet

Having lived here 15 years, I have not witnessed anything to dispute they're crazy or at the very least, some what backward.How ever, when I hear some of the crazy story's and laws in the UK, the Thais still have a long way to go before they leave in droves like us.How much is a beer in Uk now?

Just ask a Thai to buy a bottle for you if we (the foreigners) with 'shameless behavior' are to pay 20 baht more.

Either that or stay away from booze and don't support their reasoning. Besides, if it works once, they'll do it again.

I'm sure plenty of people will still buy and support it and give them justification for their 'righteousness'.

Isn't it a little arrogant to class all foreigners with 'shameless behavior?' Wow, they really like us, don't they.

Don't drink.

Don't care!

Well you should drink and then you would have something better to do with your time, instead of posting about things that don't concern you. It is often said never trust a man that doesn't drink as he has something to hide. Which begs the question what r u hiding, over here in the land of smiles and don't drink. Mmmm i wonder.

I suspect he's hiding his nom addiction to alcohol :)

Nom addiction? Can't keep off the milk?

this is a huge increase on a bottle of beer, consider the current cheepest in pattaya is 35baht this will almost double that, are they crazy or what, and to try to tax foreigners even more is just about the cazyest thing i've heard yet

I can see from your spelling that you managed to get legless before the new tax hike hit the bars :)

1 post calling someone a fool deleted. Please keep it civil.

Okay, I won't call anyBODY a fool. But with a dateline of 01 April 2010, is this story for real???

[edited to add]: Aha! Apparently thongsuk posted at 10:03:02 about this being April Fools Day,and that post is no longer visible. Wonder if mine, and robblok's (which quoted thongsuk) will remain?

Edited by wpcoe

Correct if I'm wrong:

a 600 cc bottle of beer containing 5% alcohol, will increase THB 6?

5% of 600 cc = 30ml

THB 20 = 100 ml

THB 10 = 50 ml

THB 6 = 30 ml

a 1000 cc bottle of whisky containing 40% alcohol, will increase THB 160?

40% of 1000 cc = 400 ml

THB 40 = 100 ml

THB 160 = 400 ml

wait until tomorrow, April 02, then booze prices will be normal again... :D:D:):D

In the same tax reform package there will also be the following adjustments:

BENZENE 5%

DEISEL 15%

TOBACCO 38%

MOTORCYCLE -12% (YES REDUCED)

DAIRY PRODUCTS 15%

TEXTILES (FOR EXPORT) 22%

The list goes on for two plus pages, but the one that really amuses me is:

SHIRT BUTTONS -7.5% How very gracious of them to decrease the tax on shirt buttons. I am sure the average struggling Thai family will sleep easier now!!!!!!

so if its 20b per 100ml then a small bottle of beer (330ml) goes up by 66 baht right! that's a hel_l of an increase and will pretty much kill all the bars i think. maybe i misunderstand the OP

also, is this only for songkran period of a permanent increase?

That is REALLY <deleted>*N Group Minded!!

So you will only care about a cure for cancer when you have it??

You will only be concerned about a shortage of water , when it affects you??

If you don't CARE!! Why did you bother to write anything!!

How many friends do you have?? My guess would maybe ZERO!!

Don't drink.

Don't care!

Looks like some people still don't understand the true reason for the price hike :)

But hopefully enough expats will complain to the relevant authorities and have this tax rescinded asap. I suggest getting on twitter and bombarding the PM and newspapers such as The Nation with your thoughts on the tax price hike.

Abhisit's a Geordie so he'll understand how upset people can be when the price of a pint increases overnight.