Tax Increase On Alcohol To Hit Foreigners And Benefit Tourist Police

Rimmer

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The extra funds are to go partly to increase the number of tourist police officers in Pattaya. According to an unnamed government source it is only deemed fair that the foreigners, most of whom don’t pay tax in Thailand, help pay for the increasing costs caused by their shameless behavior"

:)

Oh well Thai ecomonics and logic once again, but would raise this question ?........What about the foreigners who do pay tax.... show a WP or tax receipt and dont pay the extra ??....cant see how this would be enforced...

Interested to know about this "shameless behavior"...

Ha, I am surprised by the mentality of local authorities. This is 21st century and it seems like they are still living in the 19th. Pattaya thrives on tourism (the city will wither into nothing but fishing boats' port without it), and I suppose they should tax and collect more efficiently from the Travel industry, not from the tourists, so openly.

Shameless behavior? :D Are they talking about the transactions btw customers/hookers/ladyboys/trans/children? Isn't this is what the city's all about, since the Vietnam war era? And in Bangkok's local boys' playground, silom(20yrs ago), patanakarn(15yrs ago), srinakarin, and the now booming ratchada, I see local men can get themselves an impossibly good 2 hours service ranging from 20-100 dollars, depending on the budget. All Thais who travel on Ratchada road to their offices in the morning, males or females, know what activities go on at night in the buildings on the left and right side of the road, and even deep into the alley. And the authorities hardly would say a thing because that industry is bigger than automotive industry :D It fed them well.

If there's a rating about how easily the citizens of a country will exchange their souls for sudden increase in income (won't last long though). This one will rank high.

Now the tax:

Well the Thai authorities said, 'you here, you pay tax, if you no pay, you go. if you don't like, go to vietnam or laos.' They said it as if they had the balls of races in their hands, those who are superior to them. (yeah sometimes I am a racist)

That sort of voice was even stronger right before the economic melt-down, which caused a huge financial impact on the country's tourism, and greatly reduced foreign investment. So you start to see big changes in the tone of gov't officials' voices.....'pls come to our country, it is very nice, etc.' And you start to see various activities (from TV) organized with the goal to push tourism and foreign investment back to their former glory.

A hundred years ago, countries from the west, and Japan from the east, were already industrialized. Today, countries in East of Asia are quite catching up (Japan's a different standard), but Thailand, as most of ASEAN member, can't really prove to the world that its civilization contains enough wise people. I mean, their pockets are full, some of them are wealthy, but their mental, is lacking. In the end, it is proven that money can buy them johnny walker, mercedez, sex, but can't buy them the wisdom to progress.

More dribble, we've gone from being charged extra on everything, down to just paying extra for Fairtex Pattaya fight night. Fair enough Kuffki, perhaps Fairtex Pattaya do charge the farang more, doesnt interest me, havent been......as for the national parks, you can probably see in alot of the threads on this forum, particularly in the biking forum where expat farangs get admitted into national parks for the thai price if they produce official thai id.

Having said that, your first claim that everything is more expensive is utter dribble, it not true, some things are more expensive and other places will try it on you, such is life. :)

Anyway, so what, if you don't like the pricing policy here, move along, I am sure you can find somewhere else to park your attitude. :D

I went to Erawan Falls (Kanchanaburi) a couple of weeks ago (driving), and there was double pricing, but the attendant *asked me* if I had a Thai licence, because then I could pay Thai prices.

Yes, I understand. The same thing happened to me.

20 B on alcohol drinks sold to foreigners,

Its a shame and very sad people who making this rules i feel realy sorry for them, what is there next step.

White people banned on the streets between 19.00 and 07.00 :)

Crazy

It was stated this law (20B for foreigner)is not yet approved by the government, and that authorities in 'tourism-heavy' provinces are pushing it.

It shows you how backward thinking the 'authorities' in this country are, and their voter, and subsequently, the youngs who will grow up with backward thinking brainwash.

This anti-foreign attitude will not work in their benefit. They forget that they are not Japanese or Chinese.

Im amazed this went on for so long.

In fact, im convinced the moderators deleted all the posts from members reminding people what day it is. There is no way there can be that many dumb people on 1 forum. Shame on you mods !

We can neither confirm nor deny such allegations :)

I can't believe I had to find out this is an april fool's joke after I posted several responses, and kind of feel angered by it... (well, I guess that's the whole point, getting fooled by others for free and felt angry about it.)

Ok i got it I got fooled. dang!

But this is taking april fool's joke to an extreme. using media to fool people?

Oh... that kind of reminds me that it happened before in TV.

In fact, im convinced the moderators deleted all the posts from members reminding people what day it is. There is no way there can be that many dumb people on 1 forum. Shame on you mods !

I can't believe I had to find out this is an april fool's joke after I posted several responses, and kind of feel angered by it... (well, I guess that's the whole point, getting fooled by others for free and felt angry about it.)

did you forget or not ever know Orson Welles original radio broadcast of War of the Worlds? It created such a panic among the populace that the FCC made laws to protectthe public and prevent it from ever happening again.

Nearly every newspaper in the world does April Fools joke reports. Basically, on April 1, take anything you read with a grain of salt.

More dribble, we've gone from being charged extra on everything, down to just paying extra for Fairtex Pattaya fight night. Fair enough Kuffki, perhaps Fairtex Pattaya do charge the farang more, doesnt interest me, havent been......as for the national parks, you can probably see in alot of the threads on this forum, particularly in the biking forum where expat farangs get admitted into national parks for the thai price if they produce official thai id.

Having said that, your first claim that everything is more expensive is utter dribble, it not true, some things are more expensive and other places will try it on you, such is life. :)

Anyway, so what, if you don't like the pricing policy here, move along, I am sure you can find somewhere else to park your attitude. :D

I went to Erawan Falls (Kanchanaburi) a couple of weeks ago (driving), and there was double pricing, but the attendant *asked me* if I had a Thai licence, because then I could pay Thai prices.

Correct, and at Safari World they also have the same, unfortunately I had forgotten my licence, but I spoke some of my very bad Thai, and that was enough to get the local price. :D

Correct, and at Safari World they also have the same, unfortunately I had forgotten my licence, but I spoke some of my very bad Thai, and that was enough to get the local price. :D

Yes it happens all the time......for some of us. Others I am sure get charged according to their attitudes, which is no different anywhere in the world, really. :D