Anti-Red Shirts Protest Grows

webfact

If reds can protest, why can't the people of Bangkok show their displeasure at the inconvenience the current red protests have caused them?

Well, if boss did not complain and is willing to let them off work for that few hours, then why not?

This is not the same as 'paying to protest' in the sense of pinks buying people to be there... maybe this is not what is meant in the usage of the phrase, but it sure is misleading. :)

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If they are allowed to protest while being paid to work, are they not thus being paid to protest?

EDIT: If so, I would hazard a guess that the amount would be at least 2000B.

Possibly they took half a day off, or they are making it up working overtime.

Or they could have taken time off with out their boss knowing.

But I suppose you can spin it whatever way you like to suit your views.

I second that! :)

The 2,000 Baht gas money paid to red shirt drivers can hardly be considered as getting paid to protest. Anyone who's ever been outside of Bangkok (probably 1% of ThaiVisa posters), driving to Chiang Mai or the North-East, knows that gas costs at least that much, likely even more, to even get to Bangkok, than just 2,000 Baht. So if they got 2,000 Baht, they probably paid some additional money out of their own pockets.

Why the pink shirts didn't get paid 2,000 Baht is probably due to the fact that walking from the Silom office building to the Lumpini park is free.

Police rescued a red-shirt motorcyclists who was captured and attacked by pink-shirt demonstrators inside the Lumpini Park.

The pink-shirt people were dispersing at 5:30 pm when the spotted a motorcyclist in red-shirt with the logo of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship riding inside the park.

They ran to attack the man, prompting police to come to rescue him and free him from the pink-shirt people.

So much for the "peaceful pinks" and "pinks for peace" :)

Did you see the pics earlier? They were pouring water over him. Hardly violent.

What was a red shirt doing at the pink rally? If an anti-red turned up at the red rally and started spouting off, I'm sure they would be in a dangerous position too.

But all of that aside, there will be violence if the reds and anti-reds get too close together. And since it is everyone's democratic right to protest, they should make sure they keep away from each other. Whoever interferes with the others protests (ala reds going to Chulalongkorn Uni when they announced they were having a rally) are the ones that should be blamed for any violence.

The 2,000 Baht gas money paid to red shirt drivers can hardly be considered as getting paid to protest. Anyone who's ever been outside of Bangkok (probably 1% of ThaiVisa posters), driving to Chiang Mai or the North-East, knows that gas costs at least that much, likely even more, to even get to Bangkok, than just 2,000 Baht. So if they got 2,000 Baht, they probably paid some additional money out of their own pockets.

Why the pink shirts didn't get paid 2,000 Baht is probably due to the fact that walking from the Silom office building to the Lumpini park is free.

My friends were not instigated by the pinks, nor do they know any leaders of the pinks. They gave their support.... in their office attire, not pink shirts, out of their own accord.

Anyway, my friends in Nan province, north of Thailand, said they were offered THB5,000 by the red shirts to join in the reds' protests.

Consider that the Red-Shirt equivalent of spinning petrol money handed out to drivers as Red-Shirts being "paid to protest." (As per the Nation's shortened film clip.)

Based on a lot of reports, plenty of the protestors are being paid 500 baht per day to be there too.

But I don't have any specific proof of that, as you don't have proof that the money being handed out by the reds wasn't just for protesting.

Give it time mate, give it time.

Thaksin will fade when the Red Shirts have the opportunity to elect a different leader to look up to.

If the anti-Thaksin crowd really wanted him out of the picture, they would stop demonising him in the media (which only serves to strengthen the sense of injustice the Reds feel on his behalf), cut a deal with him, and allow someone else to take his place.

But we both know that is the last thing the PAD wants: Thaksin is a useful "wedge issue." The instant he's out of the picture is the instant Sondhi, ASTV and the PAD lose all relevance and support from moderates, NGO's and democrats.

Uh, you do realize who led the democracy movement to oust Suchinda in '92, don't you?

Chamlong the yellow friend of Thaksin or this odd Dr.Weng, the proto-PAD red shirt was also seen.

Weng, as a member of the early 'PAD', helped to bring PAD and Chamlong together , in their protest movement against the Thaksin government

Chamlong Srimuang Slammed on 16th Anniversary of Black May Incident

Dr. Weng Tojirakarn
stated that the remarks coming from Gen Chamlong showed that he is pro-dictatorship and a person who lacks idealism. He also called on Chamlong to stop agitating for a coup d’état to happen because the people will not allow it and will counter it to the same extent as in May 1992.
It was illegitimate for the PAD or those involved in the 19 September 2006 coup d’état to hold commemorations of the May 1992 or October 1972/1976 incidents.
If they are involved in supporting the 19 September coup, it means that they stand opposite to the spirit and ideals of the martyrs who sacrificed their lives to end dictatorship’s rule. Dr. Weng also called for an end to the abuse of using democratic spirit as a tool. ...

May 22, 2008

STREETWISE: From Chamlong, with love

Everybody knows former Bangkok governor Chamlong Srimuang and Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra have been good friends for a long time. Their friendship dates back years to when Thaksin first entered the political arena. And during this time,
Chamlong has often sent his best wishes to the prime minister. The latest gesture of friendship was a gift of four books about health food to the prime minister.
Chamlong recommended the prime minister read the books, knowing he likely would. After all he is an avid reader. "He has advised many people to read foreign titles. I thus want him to read something that I find interesting, like side dishes," he said. One of the books is based on a doctor's conclusions that ground sesame seeds contain more nutrients than milk. That particular book choice was based on Thaksin's endorsement of milk consumption. The government recently launched a campaign to encourage people to give milk to their loved ones. ...

June 18, 2004

MISSING LAWYER: ‘Rogue cop’ offers to talk

Democracy group demands 3 senior police be probed; threat to name more There were dramatic developments in the Somchai Neelaphaijit abduction case yesterday with a police officer in hiding offering to expose the identity of colleagues allegedly involved in the Muslim lawyer?s abduction, and a pro-democracy group naming three senior officers and threatening to reveal more....

If Thaksin fails to bring the culprits to justice, his government would lose the right to run the country, said Dr weng Tojirakan,
the CFD?s chairman.

?The government cannot provide security to the public and it knows that Somchai is a most respected Muslim lawyer.

If the government avoids seeking justice for him, the government policy?s of ?quashing fire in the South?? would be a political joke,?? he said.

April 7, 2004

JD I am getting really tired of your guffawing and snorts of derision.

Contacts aside, having a cursory glance at this years political calendar would confirm everything I've just said.

If you have nothing useful to contribute to the discussion, I suggest you stay out of it.

How incredibly presumptuous and pompous you are.

Throw Chavalit into the 92 mix too

I was reading an interesting analysis on a marxist website today. They did mention the rift in the very small Thai elite which weird things like this all expose. The Thai political class does need to expand beyond the few players allowed into it right now, but that fits into bigger issues of empowering more and allowing access to better eduaction and opportunity to more people.

JD I am getting really tired of your guffawing and snorts of derision.

Contacts aside, having a cursory glance at this years political calendar would confirm everything I've just said.

If you have nothing useful to contribute to the discussion, I suggest you stay out of it.

If you have "contacts" that are in fact leadership (but junior) in the red shirts they most certainly wouldn't mind their names being used when the movement they are leaders of is discussed. Your claims to knowing about secret meetings between the military and the govennment are certainly open to being questioned as is your statement about PT being disbanded. You never answered any of the questions about any of that.

As for 2000 gas money (plus the 200 baht/head for each occupant) and the 500 a day that each protester including the drivers were reported by various sources were getting, certainly makes the paid protesters and their drivers better paid than most people in Thailand.

BTW -- there was in fact an incident on day one of the red shirt rally of a red beating on a man with a bullhorn.

I'm more concerned about the pink shirts' message for "peace". The red shirts are now into their 3rd week of protest without violence, while the pink shirts at Lumphini today attacked and took hostage a red shirt on a motorbike, until police officers saved him.

Red shirts = 3rd week without violence...

Pink shirts = not even 1 day...

Pink is clearly the new yellow this year.

Now, you're not a stupid man, and I accept your statement of "Red shirts= 3 weeks without violence ..." at face value, BUT you don't think the lobbing of grenades into the 11th Infantry just before the Red shirts appeared MIGHT not have been an incitement to violence? You don't think they weren't trying to get the Army to open fire on them (not the leaders of course)?

Got another question for you. If a gang shows up at YOUR house, where YOUR family resides and showers it with blood. Should they expect any reaction from you? Just asking..., cuz if the Red shirts haven't been violent as you say, PERHAPS its because no one has risen to their provocations. Just saying...

Already you're more upset by office workers going to the park than by people who pledged to turn Bangkok into "a sea of fire". Why is that?

Edited by lannarebirth

Police rescued a red-shirt motorcyclists who was captured and attacked by pink-shirt demonstrators inside the Lumpini Park.

The pink-shirt people were dispersing at 5:30 pm when the spotted a motorcyclist in red-shirt with the logo of the Democratic Alliance Against Dictatorship riding inside the park.

They ran to attack the man, prompting police to come to rescue him and free him from the pink-shirt people.

So much for the "peaceful pinks" and "pinks for peace" :)

Did you see the pics earlier? They were pouring water over him. Hardly violent.

What was a red shirt doing at the pink rally? If an anti-red turned up at the red rally and started spouting off, I'm sure they would be in a dangerous position too.

But all of that aside, there will be violence if the reds and anti-reds get too close together. And since it is everyone's democratic right to protest, they should make sure they keep away from each other. Whoever interferes with the others protests (ala reds going to Chulalongkorn Uni when they announced they were having a rally) are the ones that should be blamed for any violence.

It looked like one of those Songkran pictures Kan Win posts. A little splashin'. Good fun.

Edited by lannarebirth

129322.jpg

What is this farang doing protesting for the pink shirts? I thought the government would revoke the visas of all foreign workers who went to protest? Or is that only if they wear a red shirt (so called double standards)?

Is that a farang? Is he a Thai national? I don't know for sure about either.

I do know someone in this thread claims to have been a participant in the red rallies, I watched People TV a lot and never saw a white face in their rallies though!

@ JD and his mate: I prefer pompousness/presumptuousness to spinelessness/complacency any day. :)

You are full of hot air, mate. I gave you the chance to meet up and have an face-to-face discussion about all of this, but you didn't show. Obviously, you prefer to stick your head in the sand and entertain your fantasies about the righteousness of the yellow-shirted fascist movement and fire off snide remarks from behind the safety of a keyboard.

Now, it's up to you to go find out the truth for yourself, if you are not too complacent. I'm done trying to convince you.

AND regarding farang protesters @ the Red Shirt Rally- I was on the back of one of the trucks with several other internationals. You aren't going to learn very much sitting in your lounge room passively absorbing information. If you support the PAD so much, get out there and get amongst them!

Edited by johncitizen

@ JD and his mate: I prefer pompousness/presumptuousness to spinelessness/complacency any day. :)

You are full of hot air, mate. I gave you the chance to meet up and have an face-to-face discussion about all of this, but you didn't show. Obviously, you prefer to stick your head in the sand and entertain your fantasies about the righteousness of the yellow-shirted fascist movement and fire off snide remarks from behind the safety of a keyboard.

Now, it's up to you to go find out the truth for yourself, if you are not too complacent. I'm done trying to convince you.

AND regarding farang protesters @ the Red Shirt Rally- I was on the back of one of the trucks with several other internationals. You aren't going to learn very much sitting in your lounge room passively absorbing information. If you support the PAD so much, get out there and get amongst them!

The PAD isn't active right now and Ilive in Chiang Mai :D

Fascist? LOL --- well I guess following an authoritarian CEO like Thaksin and threatening counter protests isn't "fascist" in your mind :D

I look forward to your answers re post 281 and the one that it referred to ... and to seeing those pics from the rally, did you get a chance to throw infected blood too?

I gave you the chance to meet up and have an face-to-face discussion about all of this, but you didn't show.

Your tone doesn't suggest a genuine and sincere desire to meet for an adult discussion, it sounds much more like a pathetic attempt to intimidate and when that doesn't work to come on here and imply cowardice. Your tactics are as see-through and as dirty as your red leaders.

I know of several others in more junior leadership positions, but I won't name them here.
This is historical revisionism at its worst, and a very cynical move on the part of the Thaivisa mods.

Are you going to delete this post as well in the interests of preserving a one-sided debate? Is ThaiVisa staffed by the MICT crew now?

Disgraceful.

I've heard some very interesting theories as to who is behind the grenade attacks and why, which I can't post here.
AND regarding farang protesters @ the Red Shirt Rally- I was on the back of one of the trucks with several other internationals.

02-1052202916T.jpg

If they are allowed to protest while being paid to work, are they not thus being paid to protest?

EDIT: If so, I would hazard a guess that the amount would be at least 2000B.

With a typical Thai making 10k Baht a month .. not sure where you are getting your numbers from for attending a 2 hour rally and it is just bizzare (except for a Red) to twist skipping a couple hours at work to equal being paid to take part in a protest ... that is "IF" these people actually took a few hours off while on the clock and simply didn't leave early on a Friday.

I'm more concerned about the pink shirts' message for "peace". The red shirts are now into their 3rd week of protest without violence, while the pink shirts at Lumphini today attacked and took hostage a red shirt on a motorbike, until police officers saved him.

Now, you're not a stupid man, and I accept your statement of "Red shirts= 3 weeks without violence ..." at face value, BUT you don't think the lobbing of grenades into the 11th Infantry just before the Red shirts appeared MIGHT not have been an incitement to violence? You don't think they weren't trying to get the Army to open fire on them (not the leaders of course)?

Got another question for you. If a gang shows up at YOUR house, where YOUR family resides and showers it with blood. Should they expect any reaction from you? Just asking..., cuz if the Red shirts haven't been violent as you say, PERHAPS its because no one has risen to their provocations. Just saying...

Already you're more upset by office workers going to the park than by people who pledged to turn Bangkok into "a sea of fire". Why is that?

So you've got proof that the grenade attacks are done by the red shirts? Source please?

129322.jpg

What is this farang doing protesting for the pink shirts? I thought the government would revoke the visas of all foreign workers who went to protest? Or is that only if they wear a red shirt (so called double standards)?

I do know someone in this thread claims to have been a participant in the red rallies, I watched People TV a lot and never saw a white face in their rallies though!

Go to BP and watch the videos. Yes, my statements are based on videos that you can actually watch. I can't post the links because ThaiVisa doesn't allow you to post BP links, so you'll have to find them yourself. You'll see quite a few women wearing pink dragging their farang husbands behind and encouraging them to shout "Shut up Thaksin" and "Go Abhisit! Go Abhisit" while at the same time their leader talks on stage about how they are neither pro-red or pro-government, but simply pro-peace. Shortly after, they chase down a red shirt guy on the motorbike and hold him hostage until the police steps in.

129322.jpg

Go to BP and watch the videos. Yes, my statements are based on videos that you can actually watch. I can't post the links because ThaiVisa doesn't allow you to post BP links, so you'll have to find them yourself. You'll see quite a few women wearing pink dragging their farang husbands behind and encouraging them to shout "Shut up Thaksin" and "Go Abhisit! Go Abhisit" while at the same time their leader talks on stage about how they are neither pro-red or pro-government, but simply pro-peace. Shortly after, they chase down a red shirt guy on the motorbike and hold him hostage until the police steps in.

Hold him hostage? .... a tish of hyperbole in your post?

BTW --- I find your questioning a bit disengenuous regarding the grenade attacks, since we certainly have someone that stated they would happen before they did, and he is a red leader and a visitor to Thaksin in Dubai.

I will happily speak out against the guy being "attacked" but pictures certainly don't show him being beaten, hurt, or held hostage. On the other hand there are pictures of a Red shirt with a bullhorn beating someone on the first day of the red rally.

Official statement --- Jdinasia thinks that what happened to the red motorcycle rider in Lumpini Park is bad! The people should have shown more restraint and not touched him in any way that was not required for their own physical safety, regardless of what he may or may not have said!

129322.jpg

Well, you and I both know the police NEVER step in. It is the chief characteristic of the police. Wouldn't you say it is more likely that the other report we read that said he was "held for the police after trying to provoke the crowd"" is more likely?

Edited by lannarebirth

129322.jpg

Well, you and I both know the police NEVER step in. It is the chief characteristic of the police. Wouldn't you say it is more likely that the other report we read that said he was "held for the police after trying to provoke the crowd"" is more likely?

Oct 7th ..... They sure stepped in it then!

So you've got proof that the grenade attacks are done by the red shirts? Source please?

I bet these attacks that started with the Reds coming to town were actually done by a yellow shirt pretending to be a pink shirt while wearing a Red Shirt.

I bet these attacks that started with the Reds coming to town were actually done by a yellow shirt pretending to be a pink shirt while wearing a Red Shirt.

So, who are the "white shirts" ? I still haven't figured that one out yet.

Underneath those outer colors, you'll find most Thais are really White Shirts .... especially when the heat is not so bad.

Seriously, I was hoping there was not going to be any color at the Lumpini Park gathering. I get that colors represent many things here but it is time the Thai's realized they need to get past needing a color to represent each group as it really is seen as a joke to most outsiders. The credibility Thailand is loosing in terms of ever being taken seriously by the rest of the world fades with this continued colored shirts insanity.

Worse is I believe underneath or subconsciously it is more about forming armies and being able to identify a friend or foe when the war breaks out on the street. At the very least it creates this atmosphere which helps lead to violence as well as discourage individual thoughts while promoting a mob mentality.

Rainman,

You are a pretty reasonable guy. But I ask you, exactly who were the redshirts supposed to attack when everyone was busy running away from them trying to avoid a fight?

Now that they have worn out their welcome, and the good people of Bangkok are getting tired of their constant attempts to antagonize them, what do you expect to happen? A protest is supposed to be about advertising your cause and getting people to join you voluntarily. The red shirts now believe that a protest should be about causing maximum inconvenience and inhibiting the rights of all those who disagree with their opinion. There is no need to tie up traffic by yet another march to advertise their misguided opinion. Am I really innocent of violence if my sole intention is to keep taunting you until you lash out?

So yes, the pink shirts may be a bit more frustrated than the red shirts were when they first arrived. But that is only because they are trying to defend their rights and their home. I guarantee you if the PAD had marched into a remote Issan village completely peaceful and started disrupting people's lives by blocking roads these "peaceful" red protesters you mention would have turned violent much sooner than it took for the pink shirts to come out in force. Bangkokians have been overly tolerant of the red miscreants already.

It is time for the reds to go home. There is nothing to be gained by them sticking around. If they don't leave, and the police don't start limiting these senseless parades, the pink shirts will continue to grow in number until things really do become violent. And it isn't the pink shirts fault either. You can only push the good Bangkok people so far before they start pushing back.

I do not believe your characterization of wives "dragging their farang husbands" is accurate. I suspect everyone there was there completely willingly and by their own free will. I would have been there had I not had to work. If the pink shirts hold a rally on the weekend I will most definitely attend. Nobody will need to drag me anywhere. Farangs disapprove of the infringing red protests just as much as the Thais do. My family and my future is in this country, and I will strive to make it a better place.

That begins by convincing the red shirts it is time to go home. I have no idea what that particular red shirt did to provoke the pink shirts, but by their very presence the reds are inflammatory. They are not innocent. They are actively trying to infringe the rights of Bangkokians through senseless parades that tie up traffic and inflammatory messages at extreme volumes. If they need to go somewhere, they can easily turn off their loudspeakers and go peacefully and unobtrusively. But they won't do that. It is best if they leave now. Things will continue to deteriorate until they do.