Firefox Stalling / Skipping / Freezing How To Solve ?

ManilaLover

I've been having the same problem with FF. I'm using a Mac running Snow Leopard. Got an update notice last night from FF. Did the download and restart, and fingers crossed - no problems so far!

Don't know about the other programs, though...

I have a similar problem, and it seems to occur more frequently recently. Mostly it's just Firefox, but the other day another program stalled just when Firefox did. Before I suspected a Firefox addon, and actually the Lazarus Form Recovery plugin brought me some weird messages recently. I disabled it for now.

Disabling all plugins is always a good idea for troubleshooting Firefox. Start Firefox in 'Safe Mode' (use the link in the start menu), then choose 'Disable all addons' and 'Make changes and restart'.

93cafd5e0e8bef77b66875863ae7f197-1259888532-113-1.png

However, I suspect my antivirus/malware software to cause the stalls (ThreatFire). All antivirus/anti-malware solutions with real-time guard/shield can theoretically stall any program by blocking access to the filesystem. Those real-time components scan every file when a program tries to access a file (read or write). This is implemented with a low level system driver. In case this real-time components freezes or has a slow response the accessing program cannot proceed. I guess antivirus software implement measures to avoid such behavior.

Last time when Firefox and other programs stalled I tried to disable real-time protection in ThreatFire but the program, too, didn't respond. Not sure if it was just another 'victim' or the culprit though.

welo

Perhaps is't not Firefox but the system itself because also some graphic editor has it now.
If your not a browser-addon addict I would suggest trying google chrome. So much faster than firefox and works very well.

?

With regard to your thoughts on the anti-virus, have you tried disabling it and seeing if things function better?

Personally I HATE anti virus software because they causes more problems than they prevent.

But then I stick away from dodgy sites and have the experience to manually remove viruses when needed (twice in the last 3 years...)

If the issues with firefox still occur without the anti-virus running then search google for "chrome", its a very fast, simple and effective web browser.

Goog Chrome ? No thanks I tried it a while ago but I just dislike it I thinks it looks horrible and I don't wanna marry Google for everything.

My main browser if Firefox, 2nd is Maxthon and for few things like double checking websites I make I use IE.

Perhaps I'm gonna try another antivirus, currently using OnlineArmour and though it's a very advanced one I'm not completely satisfied with it.

ps, I can't live without few of the addons that FF offers like smooth scrolling, unhide passwords, screengrab and my NASA Night Launch theme.