The Nearest Place To Get Non Imm "o" Visa

Vientiane is probably the easiest trip for most people but for a single entry visa believe any Consulate in the area will provide if over age 50. You are aware that you can obtain from Immigration inside Thailand if for the process of retirement extension of stay and you have 21 days or more remaining on a tourist visa or visa exempt entry?

I would suggest you try your local immigration office.

I live in Chiang Mai and got a Non "O" at Chiang Mai immigration office, with the same intention as the OP to secure a extension of stay (Retirement)

Unlike the Non "O" which one can get out side of the country that i believe is valid for one year, the one i received here in CM was valid for 3 months and the issuing officer told me to come back one month before it expired to apply for the extension of stay.

Hope this helps

TB

Non-immigrant visa issued by consulates abroad can be issued for 90 days (single entry) or one year (multiple entry) if meet the requirements. What you obtained, tigerbalm, was a 90 day Non-O visa from Thai immigration as part of the two step process for converting from tourist visa/visa exempt entry to extension of stay based on retirement. Going through conversion process is the only circumstances in which Thai immigration will issue a 90 day Non-O visa - and as an interim measure to issuing extension of stay.

Non-immigrant visa issued by consulates abroad can be issued for 90 days (single entry) or one year (multiple entry) if meet the requirements. What you obtained, tigerbalm, was a 90 day Non-O visa from Thai immigration as part of the two step process for converting from tourist visa/visa exempt entry to extension of stay based on retirement. Going through conversion process is the only circumstances in which Thai immigration will issue a 90 day Non-O visa - and as an interim measure to issuing extension of stay.

Correct (As usual) Many thanks for a clear explanation.

So i would assume if the original poster is looking in he would be able to do the same in Thailand and not have the exit the country.

He could do, as long as he has a minimum of 21 days remaining on his current permission to stay (assume is tourist visa/visa exempt entry) and meets the requirements for extension of stay. Only a few immigration offices will handle the conversion process; most will direct the applicant to Bangkok.