Seeking Technical Advice With Lcd Tv Specs To Buy For Computer Monitor

Jingthing

Currently I have a ViewSonic 22 inch dedicated LCD monitor and I am very happy with it, except now I want an even bigger screen and also it is getting a bit old.

Looking into about a 32 inch screen to use as a monitor. I don't see any dedicated monitors of that size on the market here, so I would need to buy an LCD tv with tuner (don't need or want the tuner but no choice really).

Anyway, for those with knowledge about this, can you offer some suggestions on what to look for when buying an LCD tv to be used as a monitor?

Currently am running Windows 7 32 bit but my next computer will run 64 bit. Does that make any difference in monitor choice?

Currently using resolution 1680 x 1050 supported by an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS card. This works for me; would it fair to assume that a new 32 inch LCD tv would use that same resolution and no problem with the card supporting? (Or not.)

HD capability. I don't watch much HD media at all and don't expect to in future. So I don't feel I need full HD support in a monitor. I do stream a lot of video and also watch .avi files, but generally these are not HD. Any impact on monitor choice?

OK, here is maybe a stupid question. For streaming tv using slingbox from the USA, when the source broadcast is HD would it stream in HD if I had an HD tv? I don't think so, but I am asking.

Other things I should be thinking about that I haven't mentioned?

Perhaps even some specific brand and model suggestions that have worked for you that you think will work for me.

Thanks for any help with this.

Edited by Jingthing

Hi,

The first step is to check what output connectors are on your video card and make sure that whatever TV you buy has the same. The latest model video cards for PC have HDMI, so if your card has these you will require a monitor to have the same (which most decent LCD TVS do have these days).

If your PC has only RGB connectors, then be sure the TV has same. Note that HDMI is digital and much better quality so if there is a choice, choose HDMI.

Other than that, it is mostly a matter of personal choice. Some TV's have better contrast ratio's and reproduce colour a little better, so it would be best to visit showroom, armed with the details of your PC connectors, and see which TV fits your budget. I have 2 Samsung 32" for my video editing work and I chose them more for their looks than anything else and I'm very happy.

Cheers

Currently am running Windows 7 32 bit but my next computer will run 64 bit. Does that make any difference in monitor choice?

It could affect supported graphics cards but not monitors. Almost all newish graphics cards will support win64.

Currently using resolution 1680 x 1050 supported by an NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GS card. This works for me; would it fair to assume that a new 32 inch LCD tv would use that same resolution and no problem with the card supporting? (Or not.)

No. TV's run different resolutions to monitors. A 32" LCD will have a max resolution of 1920x1080 ie. High definition.

This is fine for watching videos from the other side of the room but up close it will be poor quality.

The screen will be almost twice the size of your current monitor with (almost) the same number of pixels.

HD capability. I don't watch much HD media at all and don't expect to in future. So I don't feel I need full HD support in a monitor. I do stream a lot of video and also watch .avi files, but generally these are not HD. Any impact on monitor choice?

Your current monitor is only a fraction under full HD. I wouldn't worry too much about HD.

Never used slingbox so no idea on that.

I would think carefully and try some in action before using a large tv as a pc monitor.

If you use the computer everyday for work I reckon you would be much better off with 2 good monitors in a dual screen set-up.

If you use the computer primarily for watching videos then connect a large tv situated in front of a sofa and keep your old monitor plugged in for standard pc use.

But as I mentioned before, large TV's situated inches from your face, provide low quality images and become tiring on the eyes

The requirements for a TV and PC monitor are somewhat different, a TV can get away with much lower resolutions than would be satisfactory for a dedicated monitor.

You need a telly with a NATIVE resolution of at least your current 1680 x 1050 and even that will just make everything bigger (of course if that's what you need no problem).

Full HD (1080p) sets will likely have a native resolution of 1,920x1,080 (for a TV there's no reason for anything better), our cheapie 720p 'HD ready' set is 1280x720, perfect for TV but less than perfect as a PC monitor unless you're looking at it from 3m away.

You could add the TV as a second monitor and use that for viewing video and keep your current monitor as primary for fine work (I do that in hotels with LCD TVs, 'watch' video whilst using the net).

I'd step up your search for dedicated PC monitors rather than trying to get away with using a TV.

• 4 weeks later...

I too use a Samsung LCD TV for my monitor, It's only HD ready which means it's 720p, however, that's just for TV viewing, the TV it self is capable of self adjusting to higher rates when connected to my computer. I use the HDMI connector straight off the back of my computer's mainboard. The picture rocks, and no you don't sit inches away from it...more like 1 meter. In most cases, I use a Logitech Wireless mouse and keyboard that I set on the coffee table and sit on a stool or on the floor a couple meters away. Also note that I hook up my HP Mini 210 netbook to an old GoldLine (made in Thailand) 32 inch LCD that's in our TV room and the picture is great not just for viewing YouTube and other video but for read email and perusing news websites. Ask any TV dealer to hook up a netbook or laptop to your prospective LCD and see what I mean. It will help you to make your choice.

Edited by MOSAN

• 11 months later...