Lamai To Airport

I'm looking for cheap transport from Lamai to the airport; shared ride is fine with me.

I asked a red bus driver how much and he said 400 baht which surprised me cause I thought the price was 60 baht to go around the island on a red bus and I can get transport to the ferry pier plus the boat for 400.

Is there a place I can get off a 60 baht red bus and walk a short distance? Or some sort of shared van service? Thnx.

better off to get a taxi for 400 THB, less hassle... but you wont find any cheap way, unless you like to hitch hike

Well, last time i needed to change a ticket at the airport office a songtae agree on 200b....

but when i'll be leaving soon with baggage a taxi will be better, usually they go down to 300b....

i really had enough of this overpriced island with such beautifull place like the grandfather rock and a couple of falls. next winter Vietnam.... with 1E taxi for 30 minutes....

Thanks for the input guys. :)

Songthew from Lamai to Nathon is 60 baht right?

Are their different prices to different parts of the island?

Is it 60 baht to Chaweng? Can I then get a taxi from there cheaply to the airport?

Some go clockwise and some counterclockwise, I suppose?

About how far is the songthew route from the airport?

If there are any private car services, please PM me, I'm leaving Tuesday afternoon.

I'm an expat with more time than money but managed to get a very cheap fare on Bangkok Air so splurged.

it may be 60THB from lamai to nathon (although I'd expect it to be more) but lamai to airport is a good 30-45mins drive.

no matter what way you look at it, it will be a rip-off. as mentioned previously, a taxi will sting you approx 400THB. the taxi mafia in samui are responsible for the extortionate fares.

depending on your luggage you could try a motorbike taxi - if going for this you could chop the journey up a bit, maybe get a moto-taxi to chaweng which in the daytime should be reasonable enough (<100THB?), have a bit of a rest, then from chaweng to airport get another moto-taxi or songthaew.

it all depends on whether you can be bothered - you probably wont save that much money finding an alternative and - like I do - may just reluctantly pay the butt-raping taxi fare.

you can

*book a seat for a joint bus to the airport at a travel agency or at the hotel reception

*take a songtheow from Lamai via Chaweng to Bangrak (60/40 during day time) and from there a motorcycle taxi to the airport

*take a songtheow from Lamai via Chaweng to the crossroad on the way to Choeng Mon and walk from there 1,85 km to the airport

I'm an expat with more time than money but managed to get a very cheap fare on Bangkok Air

what fare did you get on BKK airways?, cheapest i could find was 3660 THB ?

Is it 60 baht to Chaweng?

if there is 6 off you, yes, but normally 150 THB

If there are any private car services, please PM me, I'm leaving Tuesday afternoon.

just look out for somchai hanging around outside a hotel and ask him :)

you can

*book a seat for a joint bus to the airport at a travel agency or at the hotel reception

*take a songtheow from Lamai via Chaweng to Bangrak (60/40 during day time) and from there a motorcycle taxi to the airport

*take a songtheow from Lamai via Chaweng to the crossroad on the way to Choeng Mon and walk from there 1,85 km to the airport

sounds like good advice - I wasn't aware that a joint bus could be booked TO the airport.

may be worth checking out faranguy.

sounds like good advice - I wasn't aware that a joint bus could be booked TO the airport.

i wasnt aware either, but if you look at it, they have to get back to the airport when they drop off in lamai..

i wasnt aware either, but if you look at it, they have to get back to the airport when they drop off in lamai..

correct - and if there's money to be made in transport on samui.....it will be!! :)

I just didn't think there'd be the customer base like there is FROM the airport.

eg when flights arrive the buses fill quickly but when people are going to the airport, many will take a taxi or get a lift some other way.

if a bus is going round hotels doing pick-ups they'd have to bear in mind every passengers check-in time too.

it's worth cheking out though - just make sure the bus pick-up is in plenty of time!!

you can

may be worth checking out faranguy.

2 years ago there was a web site for pickup, it was the same minibus used by hotel, so 500b from hotel, 300b directly..

they stopped next year....agency and hotel need 150-200b commission, so i doubt you can get something cheaper...

i am always wondering, that some people think, that gasoline, mini busses, insurance, maintenance for cars, time for the driving

is for free on Samui.

Why dont these CC´s not buy a car and offer the airport shuttle service themselves for 100 baht per way?

(I dont say 400/500 baht is okay, but a certain amount must be, and this is not at 150/200 baht for a comfortable ride.)

what fare did you get on BKK airways?, cheapest i could find was 3660 THB ?

I thought I got a flight for 2500 because it was broken down as 2200 for the flight and 300 for fees and taxes on the main webpage. Since this was much cheaper than any other Bangkok Air flight on any other date I didn't want to lose the price so I booked right away. I even used my American credit card cause in the past I couldn't book flights with mny Thai debit card (on Air Asia).

So in checking out exactly how much I paid so I could post my reply I see that I also paid for two extra fuel surcharges of 685 and 70 so the grand total is 3255 baht. My bad for not checking more carefully but just assume that fees meant "all fees and surcharges"

Using the Visa interbank rate the charge was $100.56 which seems like a good exchange rate of 32.37 for that date about a week ago. However my credit card company added on a $3.01 surcharge for foreign currency transactions making the effective rate a somewhat poor 31.43 but not a big deal for a relatively small purchase.

you can

Thanks for all the alternatives Birdman!

I checked at 5 or 6 travel agenices and my hotel desk and none of them handle joint busses.

i am always wondering, that some people think, that gasoline, mini busses, insurance, maintenance for cars, time for the driving

is for free on Samui.

Why dont these CC´s not buy a car and offer the airport shuttle service themselves for 100 baht per way?

(I dont say 400/500 baht is okay, but a certain amount must be, and this is not at 150/200 baht for a comfortable ride.)

personally, the reason I grudge the cost of samui taxis is because the cost is increased purely to fund the local mafioso - it's loosely relevant to actual journey cost.

these taxis are supposed to be metered and I could count the amount of times I have had the meter turned on in samui on 1 hand with no fingers.

Edited by game4shame

these taxis are supposed to be metered and I could count the amount of times I have had the meter turned on in samui on 1 hand with no fingers.

Funnily enough I can raise a finger to this one as I've taken a metered taxi from Fisherman's Village to just past Soi Colibri. Tke cost was a shade over 100 Baht plus the surcharge and a small tip would have rounded off to 200 Baht.

Well the meter was switched on you don't think thats what I was charged!! :)

For some inexplicable reason the driver turned on the meter when I got in the cab. I asked him if he was really going to charge that price and he just laughed and said no. He was going to turn it off but I told him to leave it on just to see what the price would have been....

The usual price for this journey is 300 Baht so a 50% rip off.