Just a thought. Why don't you have your wife ask some Thai people that have Thai employees. Of course you are expected to give a bonus you are a farang. But is it a normal Thai thing? I think the answer is no. I have been working in Thailand for almost 6 years and have never gotten a Songkran bonus nor do I know of any Thais who work with me that have. It's the same as tipping it is not Thai culture to tip, but as farangs we are expected, even some times asked to tip. Follow your heart if you feel she deserves a bonus give her what you want. But you might open the door to "expecting" new years bonus, birthday bonus, ect. What I have observed is the normal bonus is the 4 or 5 days of Songkran off with pay.

Bonuses are traditionally only given once a year... most will give a bonus on New Years, but some may give on either Chinese New Year or Songkran... If you want to give a bonus pick one of the above days and then give a bonus at that time every year.

Bonuses in business can be many months pay, up to 6 or 9 months salary. I believe the banks, such as Bangkok Bank, pay out 2 to 4 months salary as a bonus to regular staff. This is at year end, payable at year end or perhaps in January.

I certainly never paid the girls in the bars working for me a bonus but their salaries were based on many factors and one of those was length of service. I also never had a main work long enough to justify a bonus.

As this maid had been with you some 9 months by the time year end came, I would have thought that was a time to give her a bonus, if you thought one was warranted. As you did not do this, Songkran would be a fall back position. However, I am not a love of bonuses and I do not think a bonus motivates Thai staff. It quickly becomes the norm and just raises the bar. However, I could be persuaded that someone who I was willing to pay 120k a year to, did not receive that salary as 12*10 but rather as 11*9+1*18.

You also have to think about inflation and salary increases. If you think there might be pressure for an increase or you think there should be one, then I would separate a salary increase from any bonus. I way well be prepared to offer a bonus this Songkran and say nothing about a salary increase, you considering that only at the end of 2010.

My experience is that low paid staff find it very hard to save any money at all. Giving someone a week off work, fully paid and a month's wages in her hand, would undoubtedly create a very favourable impression.