Difficult To Stamp Out Corruption, Says Thaksin

george

It is difficult to stamp out corruption, says PM

BANGKOK: -- Stamping out corruption is difficult, Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra admitted during his weekly radio broadcast on Saturday.

"Corruption usually involves at least two people. And while their behaviour may look suspicious, it is difficult to take action if there is no concrete evidence," Mr. Thaksin said.

Although it is difficult to prevent corruption, the government will continue to suppress the practice, he promised.

The government still has a lot to do over the next four years in office, including trying to make sure every family owned a house, completely eliminating poverty, managing the country’s water effectively and improving Bangkok’s traffic and mass transit systems, Mr. Thaksin said.

--TNA 2005-05-28

Although it is difficult to prevent corruption, the government will continue to suppress the practice, he promised.

Supress the practice of preventing corruption? :D

:o:D

with all his cash, he probably can live without corruption. I'd guess he does want to make the changes.

Well, the intent of the PM's message is at least from the heart.  Very unlike the BS that would come from GWubBush  :o  and his cronies.

Pardon me, but that is one of the most seubeu (naive in the extreme) statements I have read in ages. I too have major issues with George W Bush, and the Neo-Cons in general. But I also know that Taksin is as corrupt as any of his predecessors. Where shall we start, government contracts and family monopolies, military coups in neighboring countries, muders in Sankampeng?

"Corruption usually involves at least two people. And while their behaviour may look suspicious, it is difficult to take action if there is no concrete evidence," Mr. Thaksin said.

Isn't this the same man who claimed during the 2001 election campaign that he wouldn't need to see "receipts" (i.e. hard evidence) to go after corruption? Just a whiff of impropriety would be good enough for him to take action... :o

Isn't this the same man who claimed during the 2001 election campaign that he wouldn't need to see "receipts" (i.e. hard evidence) to go after corruption? Just a whiff of impropriety would be good enough for him to take action... :D

Yes, yes, of course Ovenman. But our man has a PhD in criminology and was proven innocent of all impropriety in concealing his assets in the Alpine land case, so he must be clean AND know what he's talking about on this subject. Leave everything to him and she'll be right. You'll see. :D:o

with all his cash, he probably can live without corruption. I'd guess he does want to make the changes.

There's no such thing as enough with the concept of family (for many) here. It's the same thing you guys see the poorest of the Issan doing, but with better trimmings.

I used to think that all I wanted was a few homes, a decent sized liquid portfolio of assets, a couple of cars, and free time to do whatever I wanted. Like a lot of people will tell you, even when you've gotten to that point, the money starts to have less meaning and you'll find that you want to establish this level of comfort for your entire immediate and extended family (brothers and sisters? check. who's next? cousins? check. distant relatives? that'll take some more work),..... there are hundreds of Shinawatras and they aren't all living the life.... yet.

:o

Okay, I will easily concede that I am naive. I'm still in the US and haven't followed Thailand's political stance and the PM's management, corruption, etc.

I am just so fed up here with the Republicans and all of that which is fed down through the layers of corruption here from the top down, that my comment expressed frustration and anger for the US.

I don't know much of Thailand's political climate, and I realize I've got a lot to learn. I'm looking forward to doing so on foreign soil.

I'll follow posts a bit before putting in my two cents. :o