Thai Protesters Target Bangkok's Tourist Centre

webfact

My Thai wife's girlfriend has just arrived in Australia for a 2 week holiday, they are both Issan girls lucky enough to get a Uni Education

Sat down Sat Night and talked about the Thai situation and I think some of you TV members would get a shock to have been there.

When I first my my Thai wife 5 years ago Thaskin was god, and the saviour of Issan, she was never interested in Politics

Funny how things change

Now both the wife and all her friends are Pro democrats and the new PM

All her friends still in Thailand are totally anti the reds, and all are telling their families back in Issan the real story

Seems to me the Reds greatest threat is not the democrats, but education

One thing that comes through all their talking

Issan villages where happy before Thanskin, just living the life they knew

Now money is most important and debt is the biggest problem in the villages

Straight from the horses mouth 's you mat say

What a drongo.

Biggest thing changing for them is coming into the money. Sure they will agree with anything you say now master.

At least they are not in danger of receiving any eduction in their current location.

And the real story now is as related to them by their money master. Wait a few years till they had enough of you mate. Then you will be finding out the real true story about the importance of Money in Thailand.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I spent the day walking around Bangkok today, asking people here and there what they think about the Reds etc..

Most all said they support the Reds cause and hope the house is dissolved soon. They are happy to suffer a bit of inconvenience as its about time that something was done against the elite sponsered present dictatorship in place.

When asked why they do not go to show their support and wear a red shirt they say they are very scared about the Democrats/Bhumjaithai politicians getting the Army to kill people. They are scared that they do not have the right to protest as they may get arrested, beaten up or killed by government sponsered groups.

So they are silent supporters.

When asked if they support the pink shirts they all said no, whilst they want peace they see the pinks as just the trouble making yellows in a different shirt colour.

Some said they were willing to go in the evening when numbers are higher, as they think there is greater safety when more are there and the Army or Government sponsered thugs are less likely to come in killing and beating people.

So there we are, my on foot poll today shows clearly the silent majority are in support of the reds.

I guess now we will have lots of posts from people not in Bangkok telling us how they got a different view....... :)

You should have added that they all were looking forward to the return of Thaksin to fight corruption...

And that they were happy the reds were in town to defend them against the imposters who attacked the Bangkok neighbourhoods last Songkran...

And that that you looked like a normal chap and not a Thaksin apologist hack.

What a naive person you are.

Thaksin is one the Elite but on the wrong side of the circle at this time. Him and many of his rich supporters are fighting for power. The know owning the power gives them the right to all lucrative project coming from the Government, all the insider information that they get from being inside the government like Thaksin and his family and friends got, etc, etc,

Thailand has been like this for century, no way in hel_l the Red shirt, or yellow, or pink can change anything

While they're out here messing up our city, why don't WE go to their farms and set their crops ablaze and burn everything they have to the ground? Now there's a thought. Might be enough to have em' scrambling back to where they SHOULD be ...

LOL you are so mean.

While they're out here messing up our city, why don't WE go to their farms and set their crops ablaze and burn everything they have to the ground? Now there's a thought. Might be enough to have em' scrambling back to where they SHOULD be ...

Your kind of mentality and opinions towards the poor and less fortunate farmers is what got us to this point in the first place. Now you're suggesting to burn down their farms and houses too? And what do Thais eat if you burn down the rice farms?

You're disgusting, shame on you.

Your kind of mentality and opinions towards the poor and less fortunate farmers is what got us to this point in the first place. Now you're suggesting to burn down their farms and houses too? And what do Thais eat if you burn down the rice farms?

I don't normally agree with everything 'rainman' says, but his comment is right on. "Shame on you" for suggesting such a thing.

These farmers whether they are here in Bangkok or working their farms in the north and northeast deserve some respect.

No farmers, no food. Pretty important people in the food chain eh? They have a case of injustice from the people in government who have paid lip service or ignored them for years. After all most of the rich middlemen in the milling business in Isaan are cronies of Mr.T.

However, unfortunately, these protesters have been fed the "Thaksin lie" and sadly they worship the billionaire who figured out the numbers game and how to profit from the vast number of poor people in the north and northeast.

If the present 'government' can get through this difficult time without too much bloodshed (other than that which the Reds already wasted), then there is hope. Abhisit realizes the poor need help and I believe he's trying to help.

As soon as the Thaksin monkey on his back can be neutered, then there's some chance for a peace process.

After all if Hun Sen can see the writing on the wall, how long before they do?

:) The Reds have said they are willing to burn Bangkok and today they said they would attack people in their homes- if you start a hardball game, you better have the guts to hang in and see it to the end. The Red leaders have no problem threatening violence, but they sure run and cry when the smallest inconvenience hits them - not enough bathrooms mommmmmmy!!!!

Since you support a movement whose leaders threatened to set Bangkok ablaze with petrol bombs, your sudden made to order liberal sensitivities do not cut much ice.

Since you support a movement whose leaders threatened to set Bangkok ablaze with petrol bombs, your sudden made to order liberal sensitivities do not cut much ice.

Yep, I believe it's called a double standard.

:) The Reds have said they are willing to burn Bangkok and today they said they would attack people in their homes- if you start a hardball game, you better have the guts to hang in and see it to the end. The Red leaders have no problem threatening violence, but they sure run and cry when the smallest inconvenience hits them - not enough bathrooms mommmmmmy!!!!

Do you have a source for your claim?

Where have you been the last weeks?

Not that it matters because you will never condemn any tactic used by the Reds, but here:

TAN Network: Red-shirt leader 'Rambo E-sarn' gives out EC chairman Apichart S. home address and phone number on red-shirt stage.

THE NATION: Arisman, back on stage, now threatens to visit EC head Apichart's home, "and we won't take reponsibility for what happens there."

And you can search for Arisman's infamous "don't fill your empty bottles here, you can fill them with gas in Bangkok" speech yourself on youtube.

Edited by Netfan

Not that it matters because you will never condemn any tactic used by the Reds, but here:

TAN Network: Red-shirt leader 'Rambo E-sarn' gives out EC chairman Apichart S. home address and phone number on red-shirt stage.

THE NATION: Arisman, back on stage, now threatens to visit EC head Apichart's home, "and we won't take reponsibility for what happens there."

And you can search for Arisman's infamous "don't fill your empty bottles here, you can fill them with gas in Bangkok" speech yourself on youtube.

I certainly don't support "burning down Bangkok" but I don't see any source to the claim that you wrote again. So I assume there's no source? Your follow-up was quite different from your initial claim.

The Malls plead the red shirts to leave.

The TRA estimates that more than 1,000 retail shops at malls in the area were forced to close over the past three days. About 5,000 employees who are paid by the day have also suffered.

Now, that is somehow interesting how the elite bypasses the law and probably employ in a rotating manner their staff in order to avoid more payments and security for their staff. This is a very serious issue. Fortunately I never go shopping around there and never will.

The TRA estimates that more than 1,000 retail shops at malls in the area were forced to close over the past three days. About 5,000 employees who are paid by the day have also suffered.

Now, that is somehow interesting how the elite bypasses the law and probably employ in a rotating manner their staff in order to avoid more payments and security for their staff. This is a very serious issue. Fortunately I never go shopping around there and never will.

They're lucky that they're getting paid by the day. Have you ever seen all those "trainees" who are working for weeks and months without even getting paid? In Europe or the US, you have to pay a minimum wage even to trainees. Not in Thailand. My wife was working part-time as a trainee in one of the top hotels in Bangkok while she was at university. She had to pay for her ride to the hotel, she had to paid for lunch and she wasn't being paid a single satang.

Of course, there's the promise that you will later get a job at this or that location, but the truth is that they will simply take the next trainees and therefor have free workers forever.

I certainly don't support "burning down Bangkok" but I don't see any source to the claim that you wrote again. So I assume there's no source? Your follow-up was quite different from your initial claim.

It's from a real-time translation of a speech given on a red shirt stage outside the EC office earlier today. It was "tweeted" by tulsathit who works for The Nation (I believe). I'm pretty sure if you dig around enough you'll find other translations from people who were also listening in.

Ok, I get it now- you're one of those "fake red shirts" who has been sent in to discredit the movement. That's the only explanation, because no one could be so naive as to believe that "Rambo" and Arisman were not threatening the EC Chairman Apichart with harm in his home.

I also was in Central Lad Prao today, my god that was busy, full of people shopping. Emporium is the same, chock a block with shoppers.

However, that does need feed the "alarmist" headlines the media loves.

People are shopping and spending money, just in different department stores across this massive city.

I have no idea why the media in Thailand plays up this "People of Bangkok unable to shop" nonsense....... they are all shopping and their is inconvenience to very few, if any at all. Nowhere is blocked off, access via BTS and foot is everywhere.

Wonder why the media is printing "alarmist" headlines ? Are their owners Yellow supportors..... ? ahaaaaaa........... :)

didnt central lad prao close already?

It's from a real-time translation of a speech given on a red shirt stage outside the EC office earlier today. It was "tweeted" by tulsathit who works for The Nation (I believe). I'm pretty sure if you dig around enough you'll find other translations from people who were also listening in.

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

Its the rainman wriggle.

Wriggle away.

Thing is, as there is no democracy, and no freedom of information act, then someone has to make the info available.

Just as info about the real thailand is now out there in the big wide world.

The dirty washing is now getting done in public.

There is, and you must have skipped class that day.

On both points it has been posted in TVF in the last 2-3 days.

the EC chairmans address give out was YESTERDAY... guess you were napping.

Just came back from a stroll around the protest site. The crowd is thinner now as they have spread out over a larger area, but still lots of people milling about.

It's actually easier now to cross the protest area on foot. On the other hand, the only transportation in and out of the area is the BTS at Chitlom, which is still running although they might close at a moments notice.

The atmosphere is actually fairly quiet... it's way too hot for people to actually get excited. Ratchadamree station is occupied by the reds after the police tried to push them out of Ratchadamree road. Apparently the protesters took exception because they pushed them back down to Lumpini. 3 police trucks were blockading the road in front of the station, but the reds simply walked over them. Did bad things to their tires too. Four Season hotel seems OK, tourists still going in and out. The security guys from the neighbouring buildings guide lost tourists through the back alleys to Langsuan.

On Langsuan some traffic is still getting through although it's mostly redshirt cars. Quite a few people are waiting for taxis there, but mostly the taxis that come by are ferrying red shirts. On my way back home, I followed a small company of riot police, maybe 2 dozen guys that I saw, up Langsuan, then through the back alleys and parking lots in order to get as close as possible to the Ratchadamree station. They guys were sweating hard and were taking their sweet time.

It's really hard to estimate numbers as the protesters are way more spread out now, but there's several hundred cars and pickup trucks, and thousands of bikes parked and going around the area. It would take a LOT of police and some serious heavy gear to mop. Something like 10000 police, with supporting vehicles, water cannons and lots of teargas might do the trick, but it won't be pretty. Still lot of foreigners gawking around the protest site, from the various 5 stars so that's risky too.

Lots of noise as I'm writing. Looks like they're starting again down Sukhumvit, and from my window I can see a constant flow of bikes down Langsuan.

They're lucky that they're getting paid by the day. Have you ever seen all those "trainees" who are working for weeks and months without even getting paid? In Europe or the US, you have to pay a minimum wage even to trainees. Not in Thailand. My wife was working part-time as a trainee in one of the top hotels in Bangkok while she was at university. She had to pay for her ride to the hotel, she had to paid for lunch and she wasn't being paid a single satang.

Of course, there's the promise that you will later get a job at this or that location, but the truth is that they will simply take the next trainees and therefor have free workers forever.

That is an insult to the poor and shows a lack of understanding. Working as a trainee for job experience while studying for a degree is one thing. Most people in Thailand dont get the opportunity to study for a degree and many rely on daily minimum wage which they are currently losing. These peopel will never ever have the opportunity to get a job anywhere near as well paid as a university graduate who oh myu god had to do 6 months or a year as a low or unpaid trainee before entering the middle class and all the nice things that go with it. Sometimes it actually helps to mix with and talk to the poor who dont have any of the opportunites to which your wife was privileged enough to get

I think the biggest thing staying the government's hand is fear that if they try to break up the protest, the protesters will break into whatever buildings are close and hand and smash them up. Not exactly something you want if those buildings happen to be hotels filled with tourists and business people or shopping malls owned by foreign investors or the Thai rich.

My Thai wife's girlfriend has just arrived in Australia for a 2 week holiday, they are both Issan girls lucky enough to get a Uni Education

Sat down Sat Night and talked about the Thai situation and I think some of you TV members would get a shock to have been there.

When I first my my Thai wife 5 years ago Thaskin was god, and the saviour of Issan, she was never interested in Politics

Funny how things change

Now both the wife and all her friends are Pro democrats and the new PM

All her friends still in Thailand are totally anti the reds, and all are telling their families back in Issan the real story

Seems to me the Reds greatest threat is not the democrats, but education

One thing that comes through all their talking

Issan villages where happy before Thanskin, just living the life they knew

Now money is most important and debt is the biggest problem in the villages

Straight from the horses mouth 's you mat say

What a drongo.

Biggest thing changing for them is coming into the money. Sure they will agree with anything you say now master.

At least they are not in danger of receiving any eduction in their current location.

And the real story now is as related to them by their money master. Wait a few years till they had enough of you mate. Then you will be finding out the real true story about the importance of Money in Thailand.

Oh, how bitter. Maybe too much VB (and not enough attention at High School).

There does seem to be some confusion over HISO LOSO. My wife and her friends are relatively low paid hospital admin staff, formally from Issan, or thereabouts. They have all have put themselves through Uni whilst holding down a full time job. Their view is that, although they are not wealthy, they are not LOSO because they have an education - they are all Yellows. So you're on the money Grandpops!!

Since their hero Thaksin has denied it was the reds who broke up the Asean summit, they do not feel the need to support it.

Since their hero Thaksin has denied that it was the reds who beat up the Bangkok locals last Songkran, again they do not feel the need to support it.

However they do support their hero Thaksin the liar.

And in support of their unstinting efforts the last few days to paint the reds as an essentially non-violent peaceful outfit and not Thaksin's gofers...

This nice little video exists to support the Thaksin apologist position.

Well at least the pumped up one.

A more recent example is their "peaceful" interactions yesterday with folks at the Election Commission and elsewhere

EC.jpg

EC2.jpg

EC3.jpg