Thai Protesters Target Bangkok's Tourist Centre

webfact

There is no good reason to call elections now. The current government is the result of elections, they should serve out their term. Allowing terrorists to force new elections every six months does not help the country. The only reason the reds need an immediate election is so that they can get Thaksin's money back for him. If that wasn't the case surely they could wait 9 months and get their political party in order. Giving into a small number of fanatics is no way to run a democracy. Allowing people to openly defy the law without consequences will lead to disaster. It is obvious that the Reds are looking for a fight, they will keep pressing till they get one. The PM better get things under control. Some unfortunate bystander is going to get killed if things keep going the way they have been. I know Thailand is worried about their international reputation if they crack down on the protesters, but it will look a whole lot worse if one of these grenades lands in a schoolyard or Khao San road. The Reds are playing with fire and someone will get burned, hope it's them not someone innocent.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rainman, I would like to call you on 2 distinct lies in recent posts:

1/ the EC was set up by the military. Actually it was formed in 1998. Do you have proof that there was a wholesale change of commissioners subsequent to the coup?

2/ The democrats were found guilty of vote buying. The decision by the EC is due 20/4/10. Do you have insider knowledge that you would like to share?

The democrats were found guilty of vote buying. The decision by the EC is due 20/4/10. Do you have insider knowledge that you would like to share?

You really have no idea about what's going on. The decision due on 20/04/2010 is not about vote buying. It's about donations that the Democrats have received in the amount of 258 million Baht, from a single individual, when the law states they are only allowed to receive 10 million Baht per year from a single individual.

The vote buying case against the Democrats was happening after the 2007 election, in the same trial where the PPP MPs were convicted, red-carded and disbanded. The Democrats slipped away with a "yellow card" and were allowed to form a government.

Well, I always pay my trainees. My belief is that if they work for me, they should be paid. And I never hire someone unless I later intend to give them a job. Whether they work good or bad, whether they get a full job at the end or not, they're never working for nothing. If I make money it's because they are working, so it's only fair that they are paid. And I just find it disgusting what I see here, hotels and restaurants especially, hiring new trainees every few weeks or months and then swapping them out for new trainees later.

Rainman, I applaud your ethics. I agree if somebody comes to work for you, they should be paid for their efforts - even if they are interns.

You are also correct, in decrying the turnover of this "temporary" staff. As Commons pointed out, albeit in a different context, they don't get much of a chance to learn that way. Nor do those who give them this opportunity to "learn on the job", get much chance to see their value. But, that's the way it is around the world. And, in times like these and countries like Thailand that is not likely to change for some time.

You really have no idea about what's going on. The decision due on 20/04/2010 is not about vote buying. It's about donations that the Democrats have received in the amount of 258 million Baht, from a single individual, when the law states they are only allowed to receive 10 million Baht per year from a single individual.

The vote buying case against the Democrats was happening after the 2007 election, in the same trial where the PPP MPs were convicted, red-carded and disbanded. The Democrats slipped away with a "yellow card" and were allowed to form a government.

Ummm aren't you the same guy that said a few posts ago there has been NO elections since the Coup? Plus you did not understand the differences in the cases between the PPP executive being caught on the rank and file of the Dems? Hehehe and you are telling other people they have no idea what they are talking about.. goodness

1/ the EC was set up by the military. Actually it was formed in 1998. Do you have proof that there was a wholesale change of commissioners subsequent to the coup?

2/ The democrats were found guilty of vote buying. The decision by the EC is due 20/4/10. Do you have insider knowledge that you would like to share?

Rainman, I suggest calm level headed responses. There appears to be certain elements that throw abusive and stupid comments aroiund hoping to incite a response to get you banned. No need to stoop down to their gutter level, stick with the facts and take it easy. It should be about discussion, not an argument.

OzMick, you appear to have very little knowledge of what has been going on in Thailand for years.

Let me give you a brief update, it goes "something" like this :

TRT won a number of elections.

Thaksin gave to the poor by taking some from the rich elite.

Thaksin did some deals which might be immoral but were legal.

Rich elite did not like TRT keeping winning elections.

Yellows come out on the streets, demonstrating even in front of Siam Paragon at times.

Coup, sponsered by "unkowns" happens on the basis of something unrelated to Thaksin. "CNS" takes power.

CNS rips up the peoples 1997 constitution, gives themselves immunity.

Assets Examnination Committee is made up by the CNS

Top Judiciary is changed by the CNS.

Re-shuffles all over the place by the CNS.

TRT dissolved but Democrats get away with no dissolution.

New constitution put into place.

Election Committee shuffled as well by CNS.

Elections held, International Observers refused role by the interim CNS appointed government.

PPP candidates "watched" all over Thailand to find any excuse to dissolve or red card them.

PPP win.

Elite not happy.

Yellow shirts back out again on the streets.

PPP dissolved "red card" for vote buying. Democrats not dissolved "yellow card" for vote buying.

Elite "behind the scenes" manouvering invents new political party (never taken part in any election)

Elite "negotiate" with many dissolved PPP members to join the new party (BJT)

Claims made the BJT members were "purchased", offered lots of money to turn their back on PTP and join BJT and then join coalition.

Chance for them to have some power in return for being BJT and going into the coalition.

PTP not happy on multiple counts of "double standards".

People of Thailand not happy with "unelected" government.

Red shirt movement is formed to demand new elections.

Democrats found it seems to have broken election laws in regards to donations, "red card" level meaning dissolution punishment same as TRT and PPP

Case is put into the "slow as possible" tray.

Drags on for over a year.

Still dragging on.

And drags on.

and on

and on

and on

More revent events you are aware of......... ?

Rainman, I suggest calm level headed responses. There appears to be certain elements that throw abusive and stupid comments aroiund hoping to incite a response to get you banned. No need to stoop down to their gutter level, stick with the facts and take it easy. It should be about discussion, not an argument.

OzMick, you appear to have very little knowledge of what has been going on in Thailand for years.

Yellows come out on the streets, demonstrating even in front of Siam Paragon at times.

Coup, sponsered by "unkowns" happens on the basis of something unrelated to Thaksin. "CNS" takes power.

Elections held, International Observers refused role by the interim CNS appointed government.

PPP candidates "watched" all over Thailand to find any excuse to dissolve or red card them.

PPP win.

Elite not happy.

PPP dissolved "red card" for vote buying. Democrats not dissolved "yellow card" for vote buying.

Elite "behind the scenes" manouvering invents new political party (never taken part in any election)

Claims made the BJT members were "purchased", offered lots of money to turn their back on PTP and join BJT and then join coalition.

Chance for them to have some power in return for being BJT and going into the coalition.

Democrats found it seems to have broken election laws in regards to donations, "red card" level meaning dissolution punishment same as TRT and PPP

Still dragging on.

And drags on.

and on

and on

and on

Seems awfully early to have started drinking already....

Readers may wonder why Thaksin and his apologists are so determined to have the election now rather than 9 months time.

Clearly it is not a question of election Vs non-election.

And no doubt the reds have an extra few months not only to refine their anti-gay positions, but maybe come up with some economic policies of which they have none.

So what is it about exactly?

For this we have to go back to the days just before the coup and what triggered the coup.

Remember that Thaksin was at this time no more than a 'caretaker'.

What he was trying to do was put his cronies; relatives, old police associates, etc...you know the drill into the control points of the army.

With effective control over both the police force and the army he would have had effective dictatorial control over the institutions of state power.

The army coup stopped this.

Now fast-forward to the situation today.

The appointments to the heads of the army are coming up.

For Thaksin it is the same battle.

So the fight for elections is a proxy for yet again attempting to get control of the army and the institutions of state power.

First to lock in that power.

And second to enforce the continuation of his criminal financial looting.

The red parrots are barking out the word 'democracy', but actually it is a fight by Thaksin and his mafia crew to capture state power.

A civil war with the establishment, which Thaksin wishes to replace with his own.

The Thaksin apologists haven't got a clue.

And if they have, they know what they are doing.

Cheerleading for an enemy of Thailand.

^well all current members will be banned, so it won't be the same Democrats even after a rename. :D

Maybe Chuwit can be the next PM? :)

chuwit2.jpg

Yess! Thai politics have been so boring without him! Last time he was in the spotlight I think was when he kicked that journalist in the face...

^well all current members will be banned, so it won't be the same Democrats even after a rename. :D

chuwit2.jpg

did he as the former pimp (k)ing in Thailand bomb Poseidon? :D

Edited by elcent

Readers may wonder why Thaksin and his apologists are so determined to have the election now rather than 9 months time.

And no doubt the reds have an extra few months not only to refine their anti-gay positions, but maybe come up with some economic policies of which they have none.

For this we have to go back to the days just before the coup and what triggered the coup.

What he was trying to do was put his cronies; relatives, old police associates, etc...you know the drill into the control points of the army.

With effective control over both the police force and the army he would have had effective dictatorial control over the institutions of state power.

So the fight for elections is a proxy for yet again attempting to get control of the army and the institutions of state power.

The red parrots are barking out the word 'democracy', but actually it is a fight by Thaksin and his mafia crew to capture state power.

A civil war with the establishment, which Thaksin wishes to replace with his own.

I was talking to a Thai friend who is retired military today and he was saying exactly the same thing. Everything the reds are accusing the Abhisit gov't and/or the military of doing - packing the courts, controlling the EC, etc - is exactly what they want to do.

The fact that a man like Chuwit is allowed to run for public office, and that he got elected may be the proof that democracy doesn't work in Thailand. I know Americans vote for actors and professional wrestlers. But electing a pimp who has amassed an illegal fortune and openly admits to bribing police, and fakes his own kidnapping. I guess there is no one morally depraved enough that they can't get elected here, if they have the cash.

i'm sure the redshirt leaders knows everything about thaksin's plan that is why they are not interested on peace talk but just want to dissolve the house now, not even trying to wait for several months; one doesn have to wonder the contents of the sms's that they are receiving during the peace talk and from who, it's very obvious with the looks on their face and their stupid arguments.

those three stooges redshirt leader were playing dumb, i know they are not idiots but what can they do? the boss says now and so they say so. they are puppets and they get paid very good money of being so.

now, many of their followers don't have a clue or little not they know what they are really fighting for.

chuwit2.jpg

did he as the former pimp (k)ing in Thailand bomb Poseidon? :D

they should appoint him as defense minister and should take care of demonstrations.

I remember a few days ago Newin's father suggested that his son (currently banned from politics due to vote buying) may become Prime Minister in the future.

:)

Although few actually listen to Chai, there are rumors about that have Newin coming in with a national unity government. Note, Newin was one of the 111 executives of the TRT that were banned, but the TRT was not dissolved for vote buying.

I think at some point there is little doubt that Newin will be a PM.

PPP win.

Elite not happy.

Still dragging on.

And drags on.

and on

and on

and on

it seems, you've fixed your mind. an amazing fairy-tale of events. btw, i'd suggest you go back... back back back... to adam & eve - to find "reasons" for injustice.

recently someone proposed, we should refrain from comments on your posts. as it'd be similar to kicking a cripple. i agree.

for sure i do hope people as delusional as you will _never ever_ be in a position to govern a country. or to manage a company. for that reason, i'm glad you're with us - destruction is virtual.

The fact that a man like Chuwit is allowed to run for public office, and that he got elected may be the proof that democracy doesn't work in Thailand. I know Americans vote for actors and professional wrestlers. But electing a pimp who has amassed an illegal fortune and openly admits to bribing police, and fakes his own kidnapping. I guess there is no one morally depraved enough that they can't get elected here, if they have the cash.

Even suggestions of Chuwit or Newin as possible PM material is frightening. Who's next to be nominated, One of Chalerm's sons? It's almost as if the lowest common denominator gets the the most attention, and therefore the most votes. Maybe Thais have some sort of criminal envy gene. I know Americans have some of that also, such as veneration for outlaws such as Jesse James or Black Bart, but I don't think Americans would vote for low life mobsters (....or would they? Nixon and Mayor Daley Sr. come to mind).

I'm glad I reside as far away from Bkk as physically possible. If I had a Chuwit or a Newin or a Shinawat in my neighborhood, that would be a spooky thought.

post-10297-1270567935_thumb.jpg

Edited by brahmburgers

Yes, clear as day to those who wish to see.

Thaksin's moves now strengthen the Army, not remove it from power,

simply because he presents a clear and present danger that MUST

maintain a control mechanism against.

chuwit2.jpg

Why would all current Democrats be banned?

At most those involved actively, if proven

and the leadership, ONLY IF actively proven to be part of it.

And if those who did it 5 years ago, if proven, are not in the leadership now,

how can the current leadership be banned?

When PPP was banned the party per se disappeared

and the leadership at the time of the infraction got 5 bans,

because they were the same ones who were involved.

No change in leadership personal from infraction to dissolution.

But this Democratic case is from 5 years AGO, how many current

actual 'registered leaders' from 5 years back, are presently in office

and thus subject to a ban.

All those uninvolved would not get a ban and retain their MP status,

but need to find another party banned for the next election.

PPP win.

Elite not happy.

Still dragging on.

And drags on.

and on

and on

and on

it seems, you've fixed your mind. an amazing fairy-tale of events. btw, i'd suggest you go back... back back back... to adam & eve - to find "reasons" for injustice.

recently someone proposed, we should refrain from comments on your posts. as it'd be similar to kicking a cripple. i agree.

for sure i do hope people as delusional as you will _never ever_ be in a position to govern a country. or to manage a company. for that reason, i'm glad you're with us - destruction is virtual.

So many fudged facts you should open a store in the mall; 'So Much Fudge, So Little Time'.

And that is only the stuff with a kernel of truth warped out of recognizable reality.

The rest is just fantasy land, you should give candy canes out to each of us at the end of your ride.

Thais like tough guys, who have clawed their way to riches and control.

He is just a wilder example of the breed.

Since his business is tacitly part of the culture EVERYWHERE in LOS,

he is just a big dog in a 'everybody's neighborhood business'.

Yes this is an unusual place certainly.

I remember a few days ago Newin's father suggested that his son (currently banned from politics due to vote buying) may become Prime Minister in the future.

Although few actually listen to Chai, there are rumors about that have Newin coming in with a national unity government. Note, Newin was one of the 111 executives of the TRT that were banned, but the TRT was not dissolved for vote buying.

I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see Newin as a PM in the next 5-10 years.

Ruthless, connected and smart, often good pre-requisites for getting

and keeping that job here.

I wouldn't be surprised a bit to see Newin as a PM in the next 5-10 years.

Ruthless, connected and smart, often good pre-requisites for getting

and keeping that job here.

Pretty sure the PAD will go absolutely mental about that one...