Recommendations For Restaurants In On Nut Area

SantiSuk

We are staying at the Bedroom hotel behind Carrefour near the junction of Sukhumvit and Thanon On Nut (Sukhumvit soi 77) for 10 days (April 4th 2010) while wifey gets some overly costly post-pregnancy beauty treatments I apparently promised her in a weak or drunk moment.

Anybody got any recommendations for eats that are good in their class - anything from hawker food to shop cafs to posh Thai to Jap and falang food from cheap to expensive.

I gather the food court in Tesco is preferable to the one in Carrefour - any views?

Sorry if there is already a thread - a 10 minute search got lost in a sea of condo adverts and discussions and postings by the member called onnut!

I know the section of Sukhumvit from The Emporium to Nana very well already, so I don't need to know anything in that location (unless its less than a year old).

Thanks in anticipation.

Hi,

I live in the Onnuch are ad there's lots of good places to eat if you know where to look. Opposite Carrefour is a market where you can cut through to a beer garden/htel type place with farang management. Manager's name is Daniel a Canadian guty and I think the place is called Sarranuch Hotel. Great food, live football, pool table and friednly vibe.good beer too!

There's also a place next to Amways which is about 200 meters past TESCO on the opposite side. They seel good food which is Thai and is mid table priced. Great service too.

Another is an authentic British pub down the side road next to TESCOs and is about the thrid or fiurth side road on your left. Used to be the same ub on Silom Road for 20 years but the owner moved and went into semi-retirement. Great British food, sausages, bangers, mash, shepherd's pie, Bristish chips, the works!

cheers

Hannibal

I live in Phra Khanong, the BTS stop immediately preceding On Nut. There is a BBQ restaurant that specializes in decent quality beef called MR. BEEF on Sukhumvit (even side) about 1/2km from Lotus going back towards Phra Khanong. You grill it on your table, all you can eat (2 hour limit)B200/person.

The night market next to the On Nut BTS station, opposite Lotus has a lot of stalls with very good food; very popular with locals.

Outbound on Sukhumvit towards Bang Na, just past Sukhumvit 103, you'll find STEAK LAO, loved by many but not unanimously, always ask for the gravies on the side.

For a bit of adventure, board the #132 bus (yellow=ac) opposite Lotus and tell the attendant you want to go to the Old Market in Ban Plii, about a 40 minute trip. It is one of the few remaining riverside markets of floating wooden shophouses, unfortunately, immediately adjacent to a BIG-C; worth it, though.

Another worthwhile bus ride is the #508 a/c bus to Samut Phrakhan. There is a huge, three headed elephant shrine called Erawhan. You can enter the elephant and follow elaborately carved staircases all the way up to the head which encloses an exquisite chapel like space.

The elephant sits atop a stained glass dome that alone is worth the trip but beneath that is a museum holding the amazing antique ceramic and pottery collection of the wealthy Thai who built the place.

Edited by dddave

I got pretty ill from the Carrefour foodcourt, which is not surprising as the 4 dishes I tried tasted bloody awful. A first and last.

On Nut area is really lacking in decent restaurants, as is Phra Kanong. There's an opening for a good one seeing as so many foreigners (expats and now tourists) are staying there. Best place by far is M Coffee at the bottom of Phra Kanong BTS - excellent price, amazing quality of food but limited menu. Oh, and amazing coffee. Great place apart from the ultra-moody ponytailed girl working there (others are ok). She's so moody and rude it's almost humorous.

Thanks everybody. will give them all a try. Tried the night market opposite OnNut BTS last night and agree this is one of the better ones in its class. Has a good ambience and is nice and clean (unlike many in Bangkok and Isaan). The beer bar was cheap. Had fairly bog standard fried rice with vegetable and mixed vegetables, but very tastily cooked. TW was highly irritated by the brusque nature of the waiter - she should know that all big cities are like that, having worked before in Bangkok and been with me to London and New York

There looks to be some good fish and meat around at the night market, but TW has just realised she faces 10 days of eating only vegetables and warm water, so I did the same (for one token supportive meal). Sh&t I could rub cream into some girl's body and tell them to eat vegetables and warm water to lose 5kg for a lot less than I am paying some fancy slimming clinic!

There's some nice looking women here in OnNut - if I can only find a place to sit and drink a beer and watch them all go back home after work I'll be happy, putting on what my wife is taking off (think I had better re-phrase that - I'm talking about weight). I'm not surprised you falangs are migrating out this end of the line.

two places

first, on nut 35 moo kah tah all you can eat b.b.q. 99baht. great value, seafood, dimsum buns, all varieties of meats, freshly made thai dishes, fruits, thai sweets. oh and comedy night and live music on saturdays.

second, take ten minute taxi ride(60-65 baht) to sukumvit 101 take a left and on the left handside when you reach soi 25 take a left. about 150 yards down on your right hand side is a great little place, a bit out the way but frequented by a lot of thais. excellent food, all thai but well worth the visit. fresh seafood, som tam, b.b.qed dishes, north eastern isaan specials and well known favourites.

tip! if you like a drink byo its cheaper and most establishments will only charge about 20 baht corkage.

Edited by tigerfish

I got pretty ill from the Carrefour foodcourt, which is not surprising as the 4 dishes I tried tasted bloody awful. A first and last.

On Nut area is really lacking in decent restaurants, as is Phra Kanong. There's an opening for a good one seeing as so many foreigners (expats and now tourists) are staying there. Best place by far is M Coffee at the bottom of Phra Kanong BTS - excellent price, amazing quality of food but limited menu. Oh, and amazing coffee. Great place apart from the ultra-moody ponytailed girl working there (others are ok). She's so moody and rude it's almost humorous.

This is a weird board and takes some time to get used to navigatingwhich I haven't mastered yet! ,

Return doesn't even seem to work along with other fairly normal functions?!! Anyway, I agree that Carrefour is shit and TESCO in my soi is much the better of the two eateries.There are other places and you just have to look around. If you ahve a car, there's teh foodcourt in Seacon Square which is about a 20-min drive and there are quite a few open air and ranb ahan type places the deeper you go down into Soi onnuch (77).

Sorry, formatting's terrible here but this page is weird to navigate!Maybe I just ahve a virus or somfing!?

I live in Phra Khanong, the BTS stop immediately preceding On Nut. There is a BBQ restaurant that specializes in decent quality beef called MR. BEEF on Sukhumvit (even side) about 1/2km from Lotus going back towards Phra Khanong. You grill it on your table, all you can eat (2 hour limit)B200/person.

The night market next to the On Nut BTS station, opposite Lotus has a lot of stalls with very good food; very popular with locals.

Outbound on Sukhumvit towards Bang Na, just past Sukhumvit 103, you'll find STEAK LAO, loved by many but not unanimously, always ask for the gravies on the side.

For a bit of adventure, board the #132 bus (yellow=ac) opposite Lotus and tell the attendant you want to go to the Old Market in Ban Plii, about a 40 minute trip. It is one of the few remaining riverside markets of floating wooden shophouses, unfortunately, immediately adjacent to a BIG-C; worth it, though.

Another worthwhile bus ride is the #508 a/c bus to Samut Phrakhan. There is a huge, three headed elephant shrine called Erawhan. You can enter the elephant and follow elaborately carved staircases all the way up to the head which encloses an exquisite chapel like space.

The elephant sits atop a stained glass dome that alone is worth the trip but beneath that is a museum holding the amazing antique ceramic and pottery collection of the wealthy Thai who built the place.

i

It's an ok place that beef restaurant which opened around about October last year and they have the football on as well with a giant screen and projector set up. the beer's ok too and they did have a promotion a while back with Leo bottles for 39 baht is pretty good. The Thais really take the piss there though and I've seen a few porkers in there just ordering the all you can eat specials with like 9 or 1- dishes on the tabels waiting to be eaten!! I kid you not!

Their Fererbrau draft is pretty good too!

Agree with the night market at Onnuch station too which has recently changed. The food shops are now in full view whereas they used to be at the back before. There's also a beer garden there with live music ost nghts especially at the weekends and you can even buy kebabs there now and jugs of Thailand's finest brews!!

check it out!!

H

i

It's an ok place that beef restaurant which opened around about October last year and they have the football on as well with a giant screen and projector set up. the beer's ok too and they did have a promotion a while back with Leo bottles for 39 baht is pretty good. The Thais really take the piss there though and I've seen a few porkers in there just ordering the all you can eat specials with like 9 or 1- dishes on the tabels waiting to be eaten!! I kid you not!

Their Fererbrau draft is pretty good too!

Agree with the night market at Onnuch station too which has recently changed. The food shops are now in full view whereas they used to be at the back before. There's also a beer garden there with live music ost nghts especially at the weekends and you can even buy kebabs there now and jugs of Thailand's finest brews!!

check it out!!

H

I did - see posting 3 or 4 up - and I agree with you (about OnNut night market)! Will check out the Beef BBQ place tonight.

Last night we went a bit further up Sukhumvit. Found a really good Chinese vegetarian restaurant in soi 24/1 (Prohm Pohng BTS) - 'Kwan Im Jae'. It's 25m inside the soi on the right hand side amongst the most intense row of massage shops I have seen anywhere in the world. Jap trap I think. Anyway, even if you are not a veggie the immense range of vegetable options is worth trying. Four or five dishes and a couple of teas (no alcohol I fear) for 250 baht. Nar son chai mahk.

two places

second, take ten minute taxi ride(60-65 baht) to sukumvit 101 take a left and on the left handside when you reach soi 25 take a left. about 150 yards down on your right hand side is a great little place, a bit out the way but frequented by a lot of thais. excellent food, all thai but well worth the visit. fresh seafood, som tam, b.b.qed dishes, north eastern isaan specials and well known favourites.

Err - that's a residential street with no sniff of a restaurant. Looking at the map later after our abortive trip I see there is a Sukhumvit 101/1 - did you mean that?

You are not alone - I couldn't find Hannibal's Sarranuch Hotel either when I drove through to the back of the market that I believe to be On Nut soi 3. I'll give that one another reccy on foot in the daylight. Hannibal the market in the back is a square right? when you approach that square on the left side (the only way to drive into it along soi 3) which way do you go - straight ahead (a small road that wends a wiggly way towards the Klong through residences, left into what appears to be the market trader's car park or right along the row of shophouses at the back of the market?

Thanks for the several recommendations of the Beef BBQ place (next to soi Sukhumvit 48/1 or 48/2 with a car park accessible form town-bound side of Sukhumvit). Excellent BBQ place for far more than beef - but the various cust of beef were very good.

two places

Err - that's a residential street with no sniff of a restaurant. Looking at the map later after our abortive trip I see there is a Sukhumvit 101/1 - did you mean that?

You are not alone - I couldn't find Hannibal's Sarranuch Hotel either when I drove through to the back of the market that I believe to be On Nut soi 3. I'll give that one another reccy on foot in the daylight. Hannibal the market in the back is a square right? when you approach that square on the left side (the only way to drive into it along soi 3) which way do you go - straight ahead (a small road that wends a wiggly way towards the Klong through residences, left into what appears to be the market trader's car park or right along the row of shophouses at the back of the market?

Thanks for the several recommendations of the Beef BBQ place (next to soi Sukhumvit 48/1 or 48/2 with a car park accessible form town-bound side of Sukhumvit). Excellent BBQ place for far more than beef - but the various cust of beef were very good.

I can assure you that the Sarranuch does exist - I nearly took a room there. Don't drive there, walk ! Its at the back of the market on the left - through a small car parking area.

As an aside you could always walk up soi on nut ( 77 ) away from Sukhumvit Road to Lumpini Condos ( 10 minute walk from Carrefour ) - there are a few restaurants in there, if you want Western food try Chor Chaba. But wait until after songkran as most are shutting from now for 4 days.