A Uk Visa More Than Vistitor, But Not Settlement?

My wife has been to the uk 6 times in 7 years and had no visa issues at all. She is the mother of our two UK/Thai kids. We live in Bangkok but try to visit family in the UK every summer.

Is there a visa which alows multi-year entries and doesn't require the hassle of applying each time, but isn't as serious or expensive as a settlement visa?

I heard of one that lasts five years and allows multiple visits, but doesn't need all the crap that a settlement visa does. Is it true?

Thanks.

7b7 beat me too it again, now it's my turn to type faster.

Your wife could probably get a 5 or 10 year visa if she could prove she is a regular visitor, and in the circumstances you mention she would probably get one, in her position a settlement visa wouldn't be appropriate anyway.

Long term visas don't come cheap, 5 and 10 year visas cost 21,840B and 31,720B respectively, and you need to be aware if you apply for a long term visa and a shorter one is issued there is not refund of any of the application fee.

Does anyone have an opinion or experience on whether they're likely to reduce a five-year application to a two-year visa due to the applicant's passport expiry date? I think my wife's has about four years left on it. Saying that, aren't all Thai passports 5-year max?

Thanks again.