Buying A New Car

Hello,

I'm planning on buying a new car, a Nissan Sunny Neo VIP. The cost is 861,000 baht. My father-in-law (Thai) has land and a house, so we're going to put the car in his name so I can do financing. There is no “trust” factor to worry about. Also, having the car in a Thai's name seems the safest IMP in case of an accident.

I am looking for a Thailand based (English language if possible, but Thai lang. is ok too) comparison website on what is the best car for that money.

I would also like your input, as we all know, real life factors are what really counts, not just statistics.

I have not seen much on the Nissan, nor can I compare it with other models on other websites, because the Sunny is "available in Thailand only" it seems.

What I want, and why:

I do not want a used car because I want a full warrant.

I do not want a car smaller than the Sunny, because it’s right at my breaking point for almost not fitting in the driver’s seat with my long (average western) legs.

My family doesn’t like the idea of owning a truck (Thai mentality – owning a car is better), and I personally don’t care, so I’ll do what the family wants.

The car will be used for short trips to the store, going to work and back, and some vacation runs from BKK to some of the islands, just the misses and me. We want 4 doors and enough trunk space for 3 (5 Thai) bodies.

We’re opting for the VIP because it’s the safest/biggest Sunny, having dual airbags, ABS, and 4 3-point seat belts. We’ll be in daily BKK traffic… enough said.

900,000 baht is my spending limit.

Thank you in advance for your input.

You said ..

We want 4 doors and enough trunk space for 3 (5 Thai) bodies.

What business are you in ..... are you a hit man who does three jobs at a time ?

Sorry, could not resist the fun.

--------------------------------------

900K is a nice figure for getting a nice car.

You said no used car because you want a full warrent ..... you mean full warrenty period ?

You should consider that car repair in LOS is very cheap so a used car is a good buy with not much risk other than the difficut traffic in Bkk.

And cars hold their value very well I think due to the weather being easy on wear. Mileage is the biggest depreciation factor.

I am also in the market and also a big guy. I normally like a larger car but a smaller car is better for the tight city driving in Bkk. The Toyota Corolla looks small but even my 6'3" frame can get in and be comfortable. It has more headroom than my Chrysler Seibring back in CA. The Altis is much nicer ride than the Vios. A bottom line Vios is 500K and a top line Altis is 1,000,000 (good model is 850K)

I suggest you test ride the Altis as it rides well and feels like a Lexus inside the higher end models.

The larger fancy stylish cars; Honda Accord, Nissan Cefiro and Teana, Toyota Camry are all 1Mil to 1.6Mil. Sigh.

The Toyota Corolla looks small but even my 6'3" frame can get in and be comfortable. It has more headroom than my Chrysler Seibring back in CA.

Yes, Corolla Altis looks much roomier than Civic and Sunny.

I have not seen much on the Nissan, nor can I compare it with other models on other websites, because the Sunny is "available in Thailand only" it seems.

Although it might look different, Sunny is the same model as what is called Sentra in US and other marekts. Sunny has been sold in Japan for close to 30 years, but seems out of production today.

Edited by Nordlys

This is a little off-topic from the original post, however I thought I would ask this here rather than start a new topic.

Anyway, does anyone know when the Mitsubish Evolution 9 will be released in Thailand? I read in the newspaper ages ago that it would be released here and at about 2.5 million baht. I haven't heard anything since and theres nothing on the mitsubishi website. Anyone have any recent information about this?

For Mitsu Evo IX you should go directly to the dealer. I suppose they'll order one for you from Japan. They sell one or two cars a year so I don't think they keep any stock here.

Independent importers sell them for about 4 mil, Mitsubishi itself imports them detuned to 219hp to avoid higher taxes and sells for 2.5 mil. They also import re-tuning kits so they can jack it up to the original 380hp or whatever.

I've read it all in Bangkok Post or The Nation.

Poolpisser, Nissan brand is not strong in Thailand. There might be nothing wrong with their cars but somehow they just don't sell.

Honda is going to replace their aging Civic this year, so go Altis. With your budget you can get 1.8l version that will give you one of the most powerful cars in it's segment, or go for top spec 1.6.

For Mitsu Evo IX you should go directly to the dealer. I suppose they'll order one for you from Japan. They sell one or two cars a year so I don't think they keep any stock here.

Independent importers sell them for about 4 mil, Mitsubishi itself imports them detuned to 219hp to avoid higher taxes and sells for 2.5 mil. They also import re-tuning kits so they can jack it up to the original 380hp or whatever.

I've read it all in Bangkok Post or The Nation.

Wait till FTA with Japan will be concluded in July.

We might see significant cut in import duty on autos imported from Japan soon.

BTW Mitsubishi Motor is rumored to go bankrupt in Japan. :o

The talks have stalled, don't bet on it. Import duties will be cut on engines over 3,000 cc. So Lexus will be a lot cheaper, only 3mil.

Evos have 2,000cc turbos so they won't be affected.

Last I heard on this matter I read on Japanese paper just last week that EU is pressuring Thailand not to accept the Japanese demand of duty cut on cars over 3L (for obvious reason). There might be a reduction of import duty to 40% from present 80, but not as part of FTA accord.

It's difficult to say what will happen with import duties. European carmakers argue that it's unfair to them after they invested lots of time and money to develop local production to acceptable standards and any change now will go against long established government policy of making Thailand into "Detroit of Asia" of sorts. Japanese are never going to assemble Lexus in Thailand.

As consumers, though, it's very promising. I, for one, am tired of the usual pair of two brands in any segment. Pickups - Totyota + Isuzu, cheap autos - Toyoa + Honda, luxury cars - BMW + Benz.

With the current pricing sne new entrants must be crazy to invest in building a plant to sell just a couple of thousands cars a year tops.

It's difficult to say what will happen with import duties. European carmakers argue that it's unfair to them after they invested lots of time and money to develop local production to acceptable standards and any change now will go against long established government policy of making Thailand into "Detroit of Asia" of sorts. Japanese are never going to assemble Lexus in Thailand.

As consumers, though, it's very promising. I, for one, am tired of the usual pair of two brands in any segment. Pickups - Totyota + Isuzu, cheap autos - Toyoa + Honda, luxury cars - BMW + Benz.

With the current pricing sne new entrants must be crazy to invest in building a plant to sell just a  couple of thousands cars a year tops.

I read somewhere that outside Germany and the USA, Thailand was the next biggest consumer of new Mercs.

I read somewhere that outside Germany and the USA, Thailand was the next biggest consumer of new Mercs.

Japan is a much bigger market for M.B.

I saw statistics from somewhere that Mercedez Benz Japan achieves annual sales of Thailand in about two months there. But you don't spot them there as as often as on Bangkok streets.

Edited by Nordlys

• 2 weeks later...

i finally got an email back from mitsubishi about the evo. i'm surprised it only took them a week to email me back, i guess i was on the 'fast track'

anyway, they said that Evo 9 will be launched at the motor expo at the end of they year when they will begin to sell it.

i can't wait..

mr mitsubishi didn't bother to inform me about the price even though i asked them about it. presumably they don't want to set any prices yet until later this year. I think they'll be about 2.4-2.5 million.

i've had two subaru wrx's before and they're great cars. very thirsty on the gas though. you could debate long and hard over which is better, the evo is certainly better than a WRX but 'about' the same as a WRX STI.

i'm tossing up now whether to trade my car in on a new WRX, go for a slightly older WRX sti or wait until the EVO's are released.