Border Crossing Near Kanchanaburi?

d0ndela

I'm going on a small trip with the gf to Kanchanaburi, River Kwai and that area. We would like to make a one day stop in Burma if possible, but I haven't been able to find out if there are any border crossings in the area that can be used. We don't want to make a long detour to get to Burma, but from what I can see on a map, the actual border is not far away from Kanchanaburi, then the question is if it can be crossed there?

If you go right up to Sangklaburi you can do a day crossing at Three Pagodas Pass. You must check in with Thai Immo at the turning before going up to the pass, and you can cross into the Burmese village only, for the one day. Not much good reason to cross, though - nothing special there.

And remember - absolutely no visa runs at this crossing.

The regular buses and vans run from both Bangkok and Kanchanaburi right up to Sangklaburi, and from there it's an easy songthaew ride to the Three Pagodas border crossing. Asphalt road all the way to the border.

Quote: If you go right up to Sangklaburi you can do a day crossing at Three Pagodas Pass. You must check in with Thai Immo at the turning before going up to the pass, and you can cross into the Burmese village only, for the one day.

JusMe, when was the last time you did the above?

As far as i was aware the day pass has been a no go for a few years now. :)

Boycie :D

Quote: If you go right up to Sangklaburi you can do a day crossing at Three Pagodas Pass. You must check in with Thai Immo at the turning before going up to the pass, and you can cross into the Burmese village only, for the one day.

Okay, it was quite a number of years ago that I actually crossed. As there's nothing there to see or do, I've been to the border a number of times - most recently a year or two ago - but as I had no intention of crossing, I didn't stop into Thai Immo. Just went up to the traffic circle with the three pagodas, looked around the market, had a beer or two, and took the songthaew back into Sangklaburi.

I do know, though, that it is still impossible to do a visa run there - no exit/entry stamps whatsoever.

Yep, went there in Feb 2010 and I am with 'Boycie' on this one, has been closed for a few years now (since the coup me think :D ).

Sawadee :D