Traffic Accident Knowledge

whopper

I am just curious, I have had one accident but the young man ran away before I could ask him his name or get any insurance information, any stories or tips to deal with the locals/police out there???

Yeah. Don't let them run away if it's not your fault. :o

Mostly, you'll be guided through the process, but first call your insurance company. The number is usually on the inside of youe insurance sticker on your windscreen. He will usually take care of the rest. For you, cooperate with police, don't go over the top with any emotion, tell the truth, state your case clearly, get witnesses contact info just in case, take any photos, just in case, too.

Then cross your fingers. In my experience, I'd say you're most likely to get a fair shake from the cops, but lots of dynamics at work here in such a situation....

Better luck next time :D

Had a bit of a smack with a Thai about eighteen months ago. It was my fault. (Kid put the gear in drive and ran into the back of the car in front.)

The owner of the other car was so OTT rude, outspoken and unpleasant that the police ended up effectively blaming the whole episode on him and just sending me on my way. This was despite my license being three years out of date at the time!

Mind your P's & Q's and be a little obsequious to the boys in brown. It works wonders.

Had a bit of a smack with a Thai about eighteen months ago. It was my fault. (Kid put the gear in drive and ran into the back of the car in front.)

The owner of the other car was so OTT rude, outspoken and unpleasant that the police ended up effectively blaming the whole episode on him and just sending me on my way. This was despite my license being three years out of date at the time!

Mind your P's & Q's and be a little obsequious to the boys in brown. It works wonders.

Keep a camera in your vehicle and take as many pictures of the accident as you can. I'm a driving instructor and have done this for the last 34yrs. Never lost a case yet.

Yeah. Don't let them run away if it's not your fault.  :o

Mostly, you'll be guided through the process, but first call your insurance company. The number is usually on the inside of youe insurance sticker on your windscreen. He will usually take care of the rest. For you, cooperate with police, don't go over the top with any emotion, tell the truth, state your case clearly, get witnesses contact info just in case, take any photos, just in case, too.

Then cross your fingers. In my experience, I'd say you're most likely to get a fair shake from the cops, but lots of dynamics at work here in such a situation....

Better luck next time  :D

Ajarn,

Is there a point of bothering with the other party involved if the guy has fled or fleeing the scene, since most likely they don't have any insurance/money to settle for the damage which is why they are fleeing?

Also, do you really need to call the police if the other guy has ran away and nobody is hurt bad enough to report to the police to find the guy and press charges? I heard when both parties can agree on the share of the blame all you need to do is call the insurance. Any reason to call the police when the other guy is gone? And if you have to call the police do you have to leave your car at the scene where it happened to preserve the evidence or should a driver move the car to the side to give way to the traffic?

Keep a camera in your vehicle and take as many pictures of the accident as you can....

I saw a Japanese guy park his (hired?) car in Robinson's basement car park in Phuket city. He took photos of both sides of the car and of the two cars parked either side. Damm good idea, I thought! Nothing "inscrutable" there! :o

DO NOT agree blame with anyone.  That is the job of your insurance company.

But I think the insurance company gave me of those paper for both parties to sign in the absence of anyone from the insurance company. Or is it in the case when it's obvious it's 100% your fault and 0% on the other and you are willing to accept it (in case such as when the other party's car was not moving)? I don't remember...

Yeah. Don't let them run away if it's not your fault.  :o

Better luck next time  :D

Ajarn,

Is there a point of bothering with the other party involved if the guy has fled or fleeing the scene, since most likely they don't have any insurance/money to settle for the damage which is why they are fleeing?

Also, do you really need to call the police if the other guy has ran away and nobody is hurt bad enough to report to the police to find the guy and press charges? I heard when both parties can agree on the share of the blame all you need to do is call the insurance. Any reason to call the police when the other guy is gone? And if you have to call the police do you have to leave your car at the scene where it happened to preserve the evidence or should a driver move the car to the side to give way to the traffic?

I've only had one very minor fender-bender, and this guy did try to flee the scene at first, but I caught up to him after a couple of hundred meters and cut him off. He first feigned innocence, but after I quickly explained the facts, he relented and offered to pay for damages.. I spent a couple of hours the next day getting it fixed at his expense, and there was no hassle..... Oh, I kept his ID card until everthing was finished...

But, I would likely not do that again. Even if we agreed to handle it privately, it's best to contact the cops to get the incident registered, and your agreement on paper with the police. This is a large part of their job, settling disputes and getting the parties to sign agreements...

I'm not sure of the rules anymore regarding moving your car or not. Seems best not to move it, especially if you feel you're not at fault..

One last point. If it was clearly my fault, but the cops put the blame on the other party, I would not allow the innocent guy to take the fall for me... Just ain't right, in my book.

I've only had one very minor fender-bender, and this guy did try to flee the scene at first, but I caught up to him after a couple of hundred meters and cut him off. He first feigned innocence, but after I quickly explained the facts, he relented and offered to pay for damages.. I spent a couple of hours the next day getting it fixed at his expense, and there was no hassle..... Oh, I kept his ID card until everthing was finished...

But, I would likely not do that again. Even if we agreed to handle it privately, it's best to contact the cops to get the incident registered, and your agreement on paper with the police. This is a large part of their job, settling disputes and getting the parties to sign agreements...

I'm quite impressed not only you caught up with the fleeing driver but you made him surrender his ID card to you. Most of my friends don't even want to leave their ID cards with the security guard in my condo which is required in exchange of visitor entry pass (they leave driver's license or other IDs instead). I don't think I have a nerve to go after a fleeing car and confront the driver. I just don't expect those guys to be the kind of people you can reason with, and you never know what kind of thug you run into.

I had quite a few accidents myself. The only time the police was involved was when I had an accident in front of US ambassador's residence on Wireless Rd as I was trying to make a U-turn there. I was hit on the side by a taxi that was trying to over-take three cars in opposing traffic during morning rush hour. Security guard at the gate of ambassador's residence must have called the police and an officer arrived immediately, and within ten minutes my car was towed to Lumpini police station. My insurance guy arrived and soon we learned the taxi didn't have any insurance. We thought we have a pretty good case against the cab as he was over taking three cars in the middle of downtown traffic in morning rush hour, but you can imagine the cab driver not willing to accept the blame for he doesn't have an insurance. So there was a lot of exchange of words/jab/blames and in the end we asked the police for arbitration. The police ruling was 50 - 50. Why? Because over-taking is not prohibited there. Both I and my insurance didn't think it was fair but we were told to bring the case to the court if we don't like it, so we settled with that ruling. :o

Yeah, the cops love that 50/50 arbitration :o

The vehicle that hit me (actually sideswiped me and caught my front bumper, pulling it out) was a songthaew, and he didn't try to flee fast, he just went on his merry way, so I caught up to him easily and simply forced him over...

Yes, I was lucky that this guy saw the writing on the wall very quickly and gave me no problems. I would still involve the cops the next time, just to insure smoothness. If the damage was greater, he might have dug his heels in...

It was he who offered me his ID to hold, before I even asked him. I did check the photo and dates carefully, though. I have a 'throw-down' license to use in emergencies, and I thought he might try to pull something like that...

It turned out well for me, but it might not next time...

BTW, that was my first collision in almost 40 years of driving.

• 3 weeks later...

Got knocked off the Honda Wave Saturday by 2 young guys on another Wave.

By the time I picked myself up off the road the police were already there. Unbelievable.

I felt a bit sore / shaken up, but knew that nothing was broken, so it was off to Ram 1 hospital to tend to the ol head which was gushing out a fair amount of blood from the back somewhere, but somehow pouring down the front of my shirt.

I even got to ride in the front seat of the yellow body snatchers pick up & noted what a piece of junk that vehicle is & I hope it’s a while before then next one. (I’ve got bad memories of laying on the tray of an old police pick up down Uttaradit way 10+ years ago.)

Anyway after getting stitched up (4 or 5 stitches) at Ram 1 it was down to the main police station to sort things out with the cops & the boys.

The boys weren’t there, but were with a cop looking for me down at Ram 1. So a phone call was made for them to return to base & deal with the blood covered farang.

Before they got back my accident report was in, below theirs & I thought I wonder what their version was.

My version: Stone cold sober & quietly cruising home at a sedate 30-40 kph. Reached the Andodard intersection & noted a bike stopped on the left to give way & let me pass. Proceeded to cross the intersection, & mid intersection, bang another bike (with no lights) came flying thru from behind the stopped bike.

Before I could suss it all out, they walked in, immediately wai-ed me & said double sorry in English.

20 minutes later we’d signed on the dotted line & they’d paid a 400 baht fine for a traffic offense & we were on our way. No one asked the farang for a baht or tried to be difficult at all.

I checked out the Honda Wave & knew that it was ok to ride home, so that for me was the end of the story.

Who wants to hang out at the police station all night possibly arguing about a max of 1,000 baht.

I thought we were all extremely lucky & would be happy just to go home.

The 2 young boys could not stop apologizing, took my mobile number & gave me their place of work to drop by anytime. Sunday they even phoned to check how I was going. Ok for an old man with a bit of a sore head – I’ve had worse hangovers, but without the blood & stitches.

So no complaints about the “accident service.” I don’t doubt that I lucked out with the right culprits – it’s just the luck of the game.

Edited by davidgtr

Keep a camera in your vehicle and take as many pictures of the accident as you can....

I saw a Japanese guy park his (hired?) car in Robinson's basement car park in Phuket city. He took photos of both sides of the car and of the two cars parked either side. Damm good idea, I thought! Nothing "inscrutable" there! :D

His umbrella was fully opened... :o

totster :D