Dental Cafe

Thaiquila

For people who have used this place for dental work (located near Chateu Dale on Thepraya Jomtien) can you comment on your thoughts on the quality and whether the cost is reasonable?

He is expensive and does not warranty his work. I had extensive inlay and crown done by Dr. Girdmee. Within 6 mos, the inlays leaked and the crown failed. I had to have a tooth extracted and will need an implant. All the inlays were redone. My total cost to repair the damage he created will be 100,000 Baht. DO NOT USE THEIR CEREC ceramic system. I am going to take legal action against him.

Did you go back their and ask him to fix the problem?

Barry

Not only did I go back and talk with them, but they wanted to pull two teeth instead of trying to save the one good one and then charge me for a new bridge. There was never any admission of responsibility for poor work, they only wanted more money. Bangkok Pattaya Hospital easily saved the one tooth with a root canal.

I now know about an Australia women who went to the Dental Cafe to have 15 veneers done. Dr. Girdmee took off too much of each tooth and she ended up at Bangkok Pattaya Hospital in tremedous pain. She could not eat or drink due the high senitivity of her teeth. BPH requested her xrays from the Dental Cafe but they refused to release them. She was treated (enough to get her back onto a plane for home) but I was told that she would require replacing all 15 teeth with crowns.

This clinic is trouble.

Just my 2-Baht's worth:-

I had a crown fail recently (done about 10-years previously in UK at vast expense) and obviously needed something done about it ASAP. Asking around my friends here I was recommended to see Dr. Chanis (Pattaya Thai, opposite Friendship). No fancy premises - just him, a nurse and a receptionist. No coffee and Danish on offer. English spoken.

I had thought that the tooth was probably a write-off as what came away with the crown looked pretty manky and I was resigned to having the remains dug out of my jaw - not a pleasant prospect. However, Dr. Chanis assured me that the tooth could be rebuilt so - four appontments for root canal work, one appointment to take an impression and one more to fit the new crown and I now have what seems to be a perfectly serviceable molar.

Total cost - 7500 Baht. This is less than 10% of what the same procedure would have cost in UK and I didn't feel a thing throughout any af the procedures. What the long-term prospects will be only time will tell but it's looking good right now and so, so reasonable in terms of cost.

DM

I live right next door in View Talay. I had quite a bit of work done there. Which was tooth extraction and extensive tooth cleaning in attempt to improve my gums. The cleaning was not up to the standards in the US.

I paid 1,700 BHT per treatment and later notice a price of 700 BHT on another dentist window a few blocks away.

The female dentists are very nice, although I did not like the male dentist that did some of the work. He is the president of the organization by the way. They are all very young; I do think any of them is too far into their 30,s, if that. Which speaks to their lack of experience.

I need 5 implants and they want 70,000 BHT (About the same cost as the US) per implant. Since, implants are quite an extensive procedure I thought about this quite a bit and decided that due to their lack of experience and only average work in the cleaning area I would take a pass and look for a more experienced dentist to do the work.

If anybody has had implants in Pattaya and is very happy with the work they received please post a reply here.

The do have x-ray equipment by the way.

All in all, for simple procedures I would use them again, basically because of convenience. But, I would use them knowing I am going to pay more than I would at another establishment and there just have to be better dentist in Pattaya, they are just to young and do not have enough experience to have perfected their craft.

I live right next door in View Talay. I had quite a bit of work done there. Which was tooth extraction and extensive tooth cleaning in attempt to improve my gums. The cleaning was not up to the standards in the US.

I paid 1,700 BHT per treatment and later notice a price of 700 BHT on another dentist window a few blocks away.

The female dentists are very nice, although I did not like the male dentist that did some of the work. He is the president of the organization by the way. They are all very young; I do think any of them is too far into their 30,s, if that. Which speaks to their lack of experience.

I need 5 implants and they want 70,000 BHT (About the same cost as the US) per implant. Since, implants are quite an extensive procedure I thought about this quite a bit and decided that due to their lack of experience and only average work in the cleaning area I would take a pass and look for a more experienced dentist to do the work.

If anybody has had implants in Pattaya and is very happy with the work they received please post a reply here.

The do have x-ray equipment by the way.

All in all, for simple procedures I would use them again, basically because of convenience. But, I would use them knowing I am going to pay more than I would at another establishment and there just have to be better dentist in Pattaya, they are just to young and do not have enough experience to have perfected their craft.

If you are considering implants, the only place I would recommend is Bangkok Pattaya Hospital.

• 3 years later...
Just my 2-Baht's worth:-

I had a crown fail recently (done about 10-years previously in UK at vast expense) and obviously needed something done about it ASAP. Asking around my friends here I was recommended to see Dr. Chanis (Pattaya Thai, opposite Friendship). No fancy premises - just him, a nurse and a receptionist. No coffee and Danish on offer. English spoken.

I had thought that the tooth was probably a write-off as what came away with the crown looked pretty manky and I was resigned to having the remains dug out of my jaw - not a pleasant prospect. However, Dr. Chanis assured me that the tooth could be rebuilt so - four appontments for root canal work, one appointment to take an impression and one more to fit the new crown and I now have what seems to be a perfectly serviceable molar.

Total cost - 7500 Baht. This is less than 10% of what the same procedure would have cost in UK and I didn't feel a thing throughout any af the procedures. What the long-term prospects will be only time will tell but it's looking good right now and so, so reasonable in terms of cost.

DM

I have a cracked and infected tooth requiring root canal treatment. I discovered this clinic (Chanis Dental Clinic, Tel: 038 426 018) purely by chance while looking for a cheap dentist on the South Pattaya Road.

(I am an invalid living in Asia on a very small pension, hence reducing the cost is imperative.)

South Pattaya Road is littered with dental clinics and most of them seem to be very modern, very large, and very well-lit - and that was why I would nearly have walked by and missed Dr Chanis' clinic, which was only conspicuous by its unpretentiousness, smallness, and poor lighting.

For a moment I considered that although it did look cheap it was probably also risky, however, the overhead sign included a crucial piece of info: "Since 1983", which I took to mean that this was no quack. Moreover, a Western lady waiting in the ante-room told me she had used this dentist several times and was very satisfied.

A subsequent Google search, too, did not reveal any complaints, so I decided to submit my dental rot to the kind attention of Dr Chanis (indeed he does have a kindly countenance, too).

What is remarkable is that a root canal treatment on a bottom 6 tooth, which is a MOLAR, will cost me only 3500 baht, considering that Pattaya Memorial would charge 6000 for the same procedure, and none of the other private clinics I visited would do it for under 5000 baht!

I underwent the 1st session yesterday, and everything seems to be in order... I will report again once the treatment is over.

I bet the treatment is just that. After the treatment, though, you're left w/ a big hole in your tooth. Now you can leave it to store food and rot out the shell of your tooth, OR you can fill it via crown or a big fat filling; and he's gon' charge extra for that, so you're looking at 6000+. The PTY Memorial quote probably included the crown/filling, or maybe not. You have to ask what's included, always.

I bet the treatment is just that. After the treatment, though, you're left w/ a big hole in your tooth. Now you can leave it to store food and rot out the shell of your tooth, OR you can fill it via crown or a big fat filling; and he's gon' charge extra for that, so you're looking at 6000+. The PTY Memorial quote probably included the crown/filling, or maybe not. You have to ask what's included, always.

Interesting. Too late for me, but will help others.

Have used the Dental Cafe for about 6 years with good results .The main thing is that they will not do unnecessary work .Also contrary to what somebody said before they have all the best equipment ,exrays etc .

Only gripe is one femail dentist there ( have only had femail ) ,has a grim manner ,and does not give you enough breaks for spitting out etc .

Had root canal treatment there last year which has turned out well so far .