2010 Crv Vs. Forturner Or ?

chiman

We have two CRVs one an earlier model with cloth seats which is much more comfortable than the current model with 'leather' seats they fit now which are hard hot and not comfortable at all.

I cured the problem by buying two sets of lambswool covers and what a difference it makes to the comfort level.

I believe the current 2 LTR CRV to be grossly underpowered, worse there is a flat spot just at the overtaking speed. Apart from that they are great and have given no trouble at all.

I agree, the 2LTR CRV is underpowered. And the 2.4 get's not so great efficiency. I'm going to rent a fortuner today and a CRV tomorrow.

I disagree! I have a Honda CRV, 2 ltr , and it's got plenty of power for me. Have had it for 3 years now and have driven it all over the country from Phuket to Man Hong Son, Issan etc. and frequent camping trips to Khao Yai.

I think you nailed it. The Fortuner is noisy, and handles like what it is: a pick-up. Horrible to drive in the city. Barely acceptable on the highway.

When I got rid of mine and bought a proper car the difference was night and day.

If you didnt need 4x4 diesel rock solid 7 seat suv capable of rivers, jungle, towing 3 ton, why did you buy it in the first place?

QUOTE (katabeachbum @ 2010-04-12 16:11:52) *

QUOTE (Oberkommando @ 2010-04-12 12:08:29) *

I think you nailed it. The Fortuner is noisy, and handles like what it is: a pick-up. Horrible to drive in the city. Barely acceptable on the highway.

When I got rid of mine and bought a proper car the difference was night and day.

If you didnt need 4x4 diesel rock solid 7 seat suv capable of rivers, jungle, towing 3 ton, why did you buy it in the first place?

That IS a very good question K. crazy.gif

Have to agree.......you are comparing an SUV with a car, apples and oranges. That's like saying the Honda Civic is rubbish because it can't cross streams or seat 7 passengers.

I had a brand new Honda Civic, great CAR......but for our needs it was not suitable, so after 8 months sold it and bought a Pajero Sport, a great SUV.

sorry if this is a already answered question..

but what about the "sticking gas pedal" (or engine chip) or whatever it was with Toyotas taking off and killing people.

has this been acknowledged/addressed etc.. with the Fortuner.

Haven't got a clue but the brakes and/or knocking it out of gear will overcome any of those problems, IF they occur, IF you don't panic. :)

electric throttles/drive by wire on LOS made Honda and Toyota are made in LOS, so not same crap as in other markets. :D

Thailand has a huge car parts industry suplying more than 70% of the parts to make more than 1 million cars/trucks a year, and sometimes the quality is just better than the EU, japs and US suppliers.

Fortuner is a better car in every aspect except suspension comfort, and if it wasnt for its Thai taxbreak it would have cost 1,9 mill baht.

I would rent a Fortuner 3,0d for a day, and if you find comfort acceptable you will not regret choosing one

I v had a CRV and I v had a Fortuner 3,0d. Wouldnt even consider getting a CRV again.

As for Chevy Captiva, its actually a Korean Daewoo sold in LOS and several other markets as Chevy. Quality and performance is ok, but if you cant stand the name or Chevy aftermarket...................

Indeed, the Fortuner is a bigger car.

But did you ever looked up the inside measurements?

Interesting stuff!

The Fortuner drives like a train, good diesel engine, but not enough space inside inside in relation to the outside dimensions.

I drive a CRV, good car, reasonable service costs.

Indeed uses rather high amounts of petrol.

The 3-litre diesel engine of the Fortuner, pulling around 1800-1900 kilo when loaded with people and gear is not really frugal.

10m km for every litre of diesel is barely attainable.

If you need a big car, diesel, lots of space, have a look at the Ford explorer.

The engine is just fantastic, and more frugal as the Toyota or Isuzu.

But did I have to choose, the CRV.

Same amount of space, drives very well, more carlike as the Fortuner.

Yes, not really frugal, 9,5 km per litre.

I never liked Honda cars, but the CRV I like very much

To close, Toyota had a name for build quality, HAD.

Have a look at the accelarator pedal of the Fortuner.

4/5 years ago I bought a Fortuner 2.7, and in order to get a softer drive I changed the original shock-absorbers to a softer type specially manufactured for Fortuner and costing about 55K. it provided a soft ride, additionally I drive a Camry (my third Camry since being in LOS) and there was not much difference between them after the change. (ride-wise)

I sold the 4.5 year old fortuner and bought a new special type Fortuner, this time the "TRC Sportivo" which has many original build in special parts including soft shock absorbers and the driving in rural, urban, and long distance super high-ways is great, with high speed and strong 'kick-down' power, the very fact that I bought the same marque again indicates that in those 4.5 years I had no problem at all with the first Fortuner.

However, before each car purchase I do visit the other appropiate showrooms and look at all those cars SUV's and Sedan's (Saloon's) and have test runs, but this has not convinced me to move away from Toyota (Fortuner & Camry) and looking at the sales statistics of all SUV's in Thailand, the Fortuner is the leading marque here by about 80%, (the same statistics apply to Toyota Saloon's although not as high)

Nevertheless, follow your own inclination, since buying a car is a personal matter, similar to loking for a GF.

good luck.

Fortuner is a better SUV than CRV, just look at the resale value

So using that logic a fortuner (which is not in the same class as a crv anyway), is better than a porsche or ferrari?

Now lets not be silly, READ all that's been said on this topic. :)

I am referring to the point: "resale value". As you know we can't determine the quality of a vehicle based purely on resale value...perception of a car / make in Thailand is critical...ford and mazda share many common components but ford is viewed poorly by Thais and thus has a low resale value. I doubt there is much difference in the quality of both makes.

Hear, hear, I agree, I have a Fortuner and I am very satisfied.

Fortuner is a better car in every aspect except suspension comfort, and if it wasnt for its Thai taxbreak it would have cost 1,9 mill baht.

I would rent a Fortuner 3,0d for a day, and if you find comfort acceptable you will not regret choosing one

I v had a CRV and I v had a Fortuner 3,0d. Wouldnt even consider getting a CRV again.

As for Chevy Captiva, its actually a Korean Daewoo sold in LOS and several other markets as Chevy. Quality and performance is ok, but if you cant stand the name or Chevy aftermarket...................

Indeed, the Fortuner is a bigger car.

But did you ever looked up the inside measurements?

Interesting stuff!

The Fortuner drives like a train, good diesel engine, but not enough space inside inside in relation to the outside dimensions.

I drive a CRV, good car, reasonable service costs.

Indeed uses rather high amounts of petrol.

The 3-litre diesel engine of the Fortuner, pulling around 1800-1900 kilo when loaded with people and gear is not really frugal.

10m km for every litre of diesel is barely attainable.

If you need a big car, diesel, lots of space, have a look at the Ford explorer.

The engine is just fantastic, and more frugal as the Toyota or Isuzu.

But did I have to choose, the CRV.

Same amount of space, drives very well, more carlike as the Fortuner.

Yes, not really frugal, 9,5 km per litre.

I never liked Honda cars, but the CRV I like very much

To close, Toyota had a name for build quality, HAD.

Have a look at the accelarator pedal of the Fortuner.

The Fortuner is manufactured in Thailand, The spare parts of all Toyota cars are made by different firms here in Thailand, and are therefore different from the spare parts manufactured elsewhere, as a result Toyota cars in Thailand have no problems as is/was the case in Europe and above all in the US.

Moreover, the very fact that the Fortuner and all it's spare parts are made in Thailand provides a substandial tax advantage for buyers, and without that advantage the SUV would cost quite a bit more.

As an option, I have a performance chip fitted to my Fortuner. Takes the BHP from 163 or whatever standard is to around 190 ish. It does make a nice difference especially in that overtaking band when you need the extra power. What I find very strange is pre chipped it was doing 11.3 to the liter and now I get 12.6. Flame away but thats what the reading says and that is 6 months since I last reset it and doing town runs to school and distance runs to the coast etc. I expect my emissions are all to shit but over here.....

As an option, I have a performance chip fitted to my Fortuner. Takes the BHP from 163 or whatever standard is to around 190 ish. It does make a nice difference especially in that overtaking band when you need the extra power. What I find very strange is pre chipped it was doing 11.3 to the liter and now I get 12.6. Flame away but thats what the reading says and that is 6 months since I last reset it and doing town runs to school and distance runs to the coast etc. I expect my emissions are all to shit but over here.....

Hi,

Just got a fortuner, very happy with it.

That chip, does it affect the noise levels?

Does it mean that the warrenty is no longer valid?

Tahnks

Yes, chipping a car will void the warranty. You could however work around this and remove the chip each time the car goes in for service.

As for better fuel economy after chipping the car, this is very common as the engine will run more efficient.

Guess the reason the manufacturers don't use these settings at fabrication is that it will also stress your engine more, therefore the void warranty if they find out it's been chipped.

Yes, chipping a car will void the warranty. You could however work around this and remove the chip each time the car goes in for service.

As for better fuel economy after chipping the car, this is very common as the engine will run more efficient.

Guess the reason the manufacturers don't use these settings at fabrication is that it will also stress your engine more, therefore the void warranty if they find out it's been chipped.

TRD chipping is sold and installed by most Toyota dealers in Europe, and warranty is not voided.

ABt chipping is blessed by VW/Audi, and does not void warranty.

Some chips are not good for engine, giving black smoke and engine warning lights

TRD chipping is sold and installed by most Toyota dealers in Europe, and warranty is not voided.

ABt chipping is blessed by VW/Audi, and does not void warranty.

Some chips are not good for engine, giving black smoke and engine warning lights

Correct about chipping in Europe, you can even get it done at some dealerships.

However I haven't heard of any that are accepted by dealers here in Thailand, anyone?

Spot on re comfort. I have a 3.0 Fortuner TRD Sportivo and it is bumpy as hel_l - bounces around on back roads most uncomfortably to the extent that I would not choose it (as a family car) if I had my time over. I get 11.2 overall from mine, but nearer 9 when I was in BKK. Nice looking motor and nice to drive in other respects - nipped around BKK like a much smaller sporty saloon, but I wouldn't have the gall to buy one if I was mostly a city driver - my green conscience is already smashed enough.

Day 1 with the Fortuner. It's strong and stable. I drove around the city and highway. Highway driving is nice, doing 120-140 and it was very stable and quiet. The only kick is that it is a little bouncy and that is due to the truck suspension. The question then is ... if upgrade the suspension to TRD, what will the ride be like? less bouncy? Smoother? Or like a go cart?

Does anyone have experience with a Fortuner with TRD suspension?

Thanks.... CRV review tmr

Yep - me - 6 month old TRD Sportivo. See above - I hate the suspension (though I like it a bit more now someone above has mentioned that it probably gets me better fuel consumption). Every minor pothole gets the family aaghhing. Don't know how it compares with regular suspension - I assumed regular would be much softer