2010 Crv Vs. Forturner Or ?

chiman

With the wide range of options and cars to choose from here in the LOS, I'm wondering if any of you could shed some light on the proper car to have for BKK city use and monthly beach trips

It seems that the CRV drives nice and more like a car with plenty of room, but Honda dealership was unimpressive, bad service, bad fuel efficiency, and looks like a general high cost of maintenance.

The Toyota is very popular for obvious reasons, the Diesel is very efficient, Toyota service is solid, and the Forturner seems to be rock solid with lots of after market options.

Your thoughts? I did check out the Captiva BTW, but not comfortable with getting a Chevy. I wouldn't even buy one in the states. I had a GM once, it was horrible.

In my 3 years here, I have come to believe that it just seems that with certain purchases, it's safer to follow the crowd.

-My only real concern with the Forturner is that it will drive to much like a truck and not be comfortable for long drives and or make me and my passengers feel boat sickness\

-CRV worries are high cost of ownership, bad fuel efficiency, maybe to light for highway driving?

Do you need such a large vehicle? Especially if you travel around bkk mostly. I can't comment on the fortuner, but I don't imagine service costs are that high (I have a honda civic). You can always change dealers for better service - I've found that the quality of service can vary. The fuel consumption for a 2.0 crv could be 8-10 km/l. * is quite low but you will get that if you drive in bkk. The fortuner should be a bit better.

Any sedan - civic, altis, vios, jazz, etc, would do just as fine for trips to the beach and around bkk. Fuel economy would be much better as well. For frequent trips upcountry then it's a different story - I hate driving my sedan upcountry, especially in more remote areas (bad roads).

Fortuner is a better car in every aspect except suspension comfort, and if it wasnt for its Thai taxbreak it would have cost 1,9 mill baht.

I would rent a Fortuner 3,0d for a day, and if you find comfort acceptable you will not regret choosing one

I v had a CRV and I v had a Fortuner 3,0d. Wouldnt even consider getting a CRV again.

As for Chevy Captiva, its actually a Korean Daewoo sold in LOS and several other markets as Chevy. Quality and performance is ok, but if you cant stand the name or Chevy aftermarket...................

Fortuner is a better car in every aspect except suspension comfort, and if it wasnt for its Thai taxbreak it would have cost 1,9 mill baht.

I would rent a Fortuner 3,0d for a day, and if you find comfort acceptable you will not regret choosing one ............

That's a great suggestion - can you suggest where one could rent a Fortuner 3.0d for a day (in Bangkok)? Thanks!

I would rent a Fortuner 3,0d for a day, and if you find comfort acceptable you will not regret choosing one ............

That's a great suggestion - can you suggest where one could rent a Fortuner 3.0d for a day (in Bangkok)? Thanks!

Budget, Avis, Thairentacar. Make sure you get the 3,0d auto, cause the 2,7 petrol is very lazy and thirsty.

The Fortuner is a great car, am driving a 2.7unleaded 4wd model. The only downside is the intown driving, both the width and the gas gussling engine. Bigger than the CRV, and a totally different feel. Fortuner is more stable at higher speed and in wet conditions due to heavier chassis, to drive around town I'll probably go for the CRV, nimbler and smaller.

Do you need such a large vehicle? Especially if you travel around bkk mostly. I can't comment on the fortuner, but I don't imagine service costs are that high (I have a honda civic). You can always change dealers for better service - I've found that the quality of service can vary. The fuel consumption for a 2.0 crv could be 8-10 km/l. * is quite low but you will get that if you drive in bkk. The fortuner should be a bit better.

Any sedan - civic, altis, vios, jazz, etc, would do just as fine for trips to the beach and around bkk. Fuel economy would be much better as well. For frequent trips upcountry then it's a different story - I hate driving my sedan upcountry, especially in more remote areas (bad roads).

Wise words, but I need a dual purpose vehicle that I can also use for my business. At the same time, driving up north and all over the beaches when i have some time off would be great.

Eight month's ago I was toying with the Idea of CVR or Fortuner, As luck would have it a friend of mine got a CVR After having a go in it for 20min: that's all it took I went off and ordered a Fortuner. Got the sportivo. My mate came round a few day's later, and his word's, he's as sick as a parrot. Service 10,000 kl is 1400 baht if you use the same dealer for that they will give you 10% discount. Fuel on run 10.8 kl per lt, round town 9.5 If you do decide to buy. Get a reversing camara not expensive. Comfort is great much better than the early Fortuner's. Tip if you dont need the rear two seat's take them out only two bolt's. Can be put back in 5 min: What ever you get enjoy.

I'm not a Toyota fan for sure, BUT I would never buy a gasoline powered vehicle again. New generation diesels are powerful, fairly quiet, very efficient and will last much longer than a gasoline powered vehicle.

I would rent a Fortuner 3,0d for a day, and if you find comfort acceptable you will not regret choosing one

I v had a CRV and I v had a Fortuner 3,0d. Wouldnt even consider getting a CRV again.

As for Chevy Captiva, its actually a Korean Daewoo sold in LOS and several other markets as Chevy. Quality and performance is ok, but if you cant stand the name or Chevy aftermarket...................

Indeed, the Fortuner is a bigger car.

But did you ever looked up the inside measurements?

Interesting stuff!

The Fortuner drives like a train, good diesel engine, but not enough space inside inside in relation to the outside dimensions.

I drive a CRV, good car, reasonable service costs.

Indeed uses rather high amounts of petrol.

The 3-litre diesel engine of the Fortuner, pulling around 1800-1900 kilo when loaded with people and gear is not really frugal.

10m km for every litre of diesel is barely attainable.

If you need a big car, diesel, lots of space, have a look at the Ford explorer.

The engine is just fantastic, and more frugal as the Toyota or Isuzu.

But did I have to choose, the CRV.

Same amount of space, drives very well, more carlike as the Fortuner.

Yes, not really frugal, 9,5 km per litre.

I never liked Honda cars, but the CRV I like very much

To close, Toyota had a name for build quality, HAD.

Have a look at the accelarator pedal of the Fortuner.

I'm not a Toyota fan for sure, BUT I would never buy a gasoline powered vehicle again. New generation diesels are powerful, fairly quiet, very efficient and will last much longer than a gasoline powered vehicle.

I read that all the time now, however I am not sure if this is true. There was a time when the Diesel engines where low tec and had low power. Remember a 2 lt Mercedes Diesel with 65 HP. Yes that engine was nearly indestructible, lasting forever.

Modern Diesel Engines however have Turbo`s, High Pressure Injection and much more power and torque. All stressing the Material much more and complicated things break easyer. I just cant see a modern Diesel Engine last as long as the old low tec ones. But maybe somebody with the right knowledge can bring in some light about this.

Indeed, the Fortuner is a bigger car.

But did you ever looked up the inside measurements?

Interesting stuff!

The Fortuner drives like a train, good diesel engine, but not enough space inside inside in relation to the outside dimensions.

I drive a CRV, good car, reasonable service costs.

Indeed uses rather high amounts of petrol.

The 3-litre diesel engine of the Fortuner, pulling around 1800-1900 kilo when loaded with people and gear is not really frugal.

10m km for every litre of diesel is barely attainable.

If you need a big car, diesel, lots of space, have a look at the Ford explorer.

The engine is just fantastic, and more frugal as the Toyota or Isuzu.

But did I have to choose, the CRV.

Same amount of space, drives very well, more carlike as the Fortuner.

Yes, not really frugal, 9,5 km per litre.

I never liked Honda cars, but the CRV I like very much

To close, Toyota had a name for build quality, HAD.

Have a look at the accelarator pedal of the Fortuner.

Indeed use's high amount's of petrol. Just made a trip with my chum. Him in his CRV, me in my Fortuner both had 4 up, me, diesel less than 3000 baht him over 4000 baht So if you can afford to run it get it.

I think everyone can agree that the CRV has more of a car feeling to it, and if it had a more efficient engine - it would be a good choice. Idle time in the CRV is brutal, Idle time in the Toyota is much better. But if you get a Fortuner and put the TRD suspension on it, then you get more of a CRV/Car ride and enjoy the efficient engine. Also saving probably 30% fuel costs over X years. Less expensive repairs on the Fortuner and frankly I was totally unimpressed with Honda at the auto show, they were snobby and disorganized, they didn't even have the CRV available for a test drive. Toyota was organized, had a car to test drive, and were very helpful. I remember my honda accord to drive nicely, but was easy to damage... I remember my Toyota corolla as indestructible. I really want a good reason to get the CRV over the Fortuner ... cuz for now, the only reasons are USB hook up for ipod and rear facing camera. Both of which are possible add ons to the Fortuner

We have two CRVs one an earlier model with cloth seats which is much more comfortable than the current model with 'leather' seats they fit now which are hard hot and not comfortable at all.

I cured the problem by buying two sets of lambswool covers and what a difference it makes to the comfort level.

I believe the current 2 LTR CRV to be grossly underpowered, worse there is a flat spot just at the overtaking speed. Apart from that they are great and have given no trouble at all.

We have two CRVs one an earlier model with cloth seats which is much more comfortable than the current model with 'leather' seats they fit now which are hard hot and not comfortable at all.

I cured the problem by buying two sets of lambswool covers and what a difference it makes to the comfort level.

I believe the current 2 LTR CRV to be grossly underpowered, worse there is a flat spot just at the overtaking speed. Apart from that they are great and have given no trouble at all.

I agree, the 2LTR CRV is underpowered. And the 2.4 get's not so great efficiency. I'm going to rent a fortuner today and a CRV tomorrow.

Day 1 with the Fortuner. It's strong and stable. I drove around the city and highway. Highway driving is nice, doing 120-140 and it was very stable and quiet. The only kick is that it is a little bouncy and that is due to the truck suspension. The question then is ... if upgrade the suspension to TRD, what will the ride be like? less bouncy? Smoother? Or like a go cart?

Does anyone have experience with a Fortuner with TRD suspension?

Thanks.... CRV review tmr

Well chiman I am no expert as I haven't driven any of the cars.

But why don't you check the Pajero 3.2 which I haven't driven either by the way, but I saw one today and I liked what I saw. Further I read in a topic here about the Pajero, that many Fortuner owners change to the Pajero. I car I would like to check one day when my "old" City 06 is up for change as my famlie is still growning.

The only kick is that it is a little bouncy and that is due to the truck suspension

Actually the Fortuner and the Pajero are the only SUV's that use coil springs. MU7 and Everest use leaf (truck) springs.

I think you can not really be comparing a CRV with a Fortuner or any other SUV when it comes to ride quality. The CRV can not really be called an SUV, it and the Captiva are more in the cross over category and will have better ride quality than any true SUV.

The only kick is that it is a little bouncy and that is due to the truck suspension

Actually the Fortuner and the Pajero are the only SUV's that use coil springs. MU7 and Everest use leaf (truck) springs.

I think you can not really be comparing a CRV with a Fortuner or any other SUV when it comes to ride quality. The CRV can not really be called an SUV, it and the Captiva are more in the cross over category and will have better ride quality than any true SUV.

Agreed! For the roads Thailand, fortuner could be a better choice. For the bumpy ride is a concern, go to VVP to alter the suspension. It could cost you another B200,000, however you can have the best of both world like me.

I have both new CRV and a 2006 Fortuner, after the change, Fortuner provides a more supreme ride and view.

Agreed! For the roads Thailand, fortuner could be a better choice. For the bumpy ride is a concern, go to VVP to alter the suspension. It could cost you another B200,000, however you can have the best of both world like me.

I have both new CRV and a 2006 Fortuner, after the change, Fortuner provides a more supreme ride and view.

Day 1 with the Fortuner. It's strong and stable. I drove around the city and highway. Highway driving is nice, doing 120-140 and it was very stable and quiet. The only kick is that it is a little bouncy and that is due to the truck suspension. The question then is ... if upgrade the suspension to TRD, what will the ride be like? less bouncy? Smoother? Or like a go cart?

while CRC has a suspension able to carry 400kg and still remain acceptable handling, Fortuners suspension can carry 700kg and still handle good.

So yes, unloaded fortuner is stiffer. First mod would be to replace shocks with adjustable units, Ranchero works fine. Next step would be progressive coilsprings. both available at 4x4vvp.com in bkk.

as for fuel cost, my experience with 2004 CRV 2,0 was 6 km/l for 40k km. and 2005 Fortuner 3,0d 4x4 auto was 9 km/l for 40k km. diesel is 28 baht and petrol 34 baht/litres.

CRV is sold with a great 2,2 diesel 150-170hp in Europe, but unfortunately not available here.

Check the tyre pressures. My Fortuner came new from the dealer with all 4 tyres at 48 psi instead of the recommended 30 psi, that didn't help the ride at all.

If you can wait a couple of months maybe a RVR better option, to me it looks far better........ Looked very nice in Australia last month... Start price here is just under 1 million, to top of range 1.34 million

post-42643-1270783898_thumb.jpg

post-42643-1270783888_thumb.jpg

Testing the CRV today, it's so much more cozy than the Fortuner. The fortuner is a bear to drive around downtown BKK. Parking, corners, etc. The gas tank never moved but at the same time it was not comfortable to drive and way to big. The CRV is much more cozy and easier to navigate around town, softer ride, more friendly inside. It is clearly a car designed for the driver and the Fortuner is a car designed to attack a mountain. I also found out that the CRV can use gasohol ... which brings down the cost of gas a little, altho i would like to know if that damages the engine. With all the creature comforts in the CRV, its looking more and more like that is the better car for MY needs. If i lived outside BKK, drove more than 3 times a week, then i would prob be leaning toward the Fortuner.

Testing the CRV today, it's so much more cozy than the Fortuner. The fortuner is a bear to drive around downtown BKK. Parking, corners, etc. The gas tank never moved but at the same time it was not comfortable to drive and way to big. The CRV is much more cozy and easier to navigate around town, softer ride, more friendly inside. It is clearly a car designed for the driver and the Fortuner is a car designed to attack a mountain. I also found out that the CRV can use gasohol ... which brings down the cost of gas a little, altho i would like to know if that damages the engine. With all the creature comforts in the CRV, its looking more and more like that is the better car for MY needs. If i lived outside BKK, drove more than 3 times a week, then i would prob be leaning toward the Fortuner.

It might also be possible to have NGV fitted which would reduce fuel costs somewhat. Did you test the 2.4 or 2.0? I imagine the 2.4 would cope with the weight better than the 2.0, but will use more fuel. My civic with a 2.0 is much faster than my brother-in-laws 2.0 crv, due to 200 kgs difference in weight.

The Sportivo has it fitted from new. Great car. Handle's very well. Also has vsc. Put the two together and what a car. Not cheap but worth the money. Had one for 6 month's. Best car Ive ever had. Edited by fredob43

If you can wait a couple of months maybe a RVR better option, to me it looks far better........ Looked very nice in Australia last month... Start price here is just under 1 million, to top of range 1.34 million

Not sure what the RVR is called in the US but it got extremely low ratings for cost to operate.

I am just another very satisfied Fortuner owner. I agree with the majority's view regarding suspensions of the two CRV and Toyo. I use my 4x4 a lot but if I had little use do not buy it. I removed my thrid row of seats because when they are up it blocks the vision a bit in the last window during lane changes and very reduced cargo space as poor storage design. On long trips on not so good of roadways the trip is a little jerky. You will not fall asleep behind the wheel.

I do like the Pajero but my friends have had more problems than I have had with my Toyo. Nothing mechanical just seems like lesser QC in production. So hard to beat the service of Toyota and cost or and resale value. IMO though if I were doing city driving mostly I would go with a smaller vehicle.

Oh does any have this issue...at times when I go over 130 my side mirrors make a horrible sound. My god it is annoying as hel_l. Extremely loud. Never heard such on any vehicle I figure the mirrors were not installed properly? Some times I can go much faster and no noise so it is baffling.

My brother in law bought a Honda ACCORD in bkk and he told me he looked at both mine and his and although the Fortuner was cheaper he still went with the Accord. He said he had a hard time driving the fortuner on the streets of BKK.

Not sure what the RVR is called in the US but it got extremely low ratings for cost to operate.

I am just another very satisfied Fortuner owner. I agree with the majority's view regarding suspensions of the two CRV and Toyo. I use my 4x4 a lot but if I had little use do not buy it. I removed my thrid row of seats because when they are up it blocks the vision a bit in the last window during lane changes and very reduced cargo space as poor storage design. On long trips on not so good of roadways the trip is a little jerky. You will not fall asleep behind the wheel.

I do like the Pajero but my friends have had more problems than I have had with my Toyo. Nothing mechanical just seems like lesser QC in production. So hard to beat the service of Toyota and cost or and resale value. IMO though if I were doing city driving mostly I would go with a smaller vehicle.

Oh does any have this issue...at times when I go over 130 my side mirrors make a horrible sound. My god it is annoying as hel_l. Extremely loud. Never heard such on any vehicle I figure the mirrors were not installed properly? Some times I can go much faster and no noise so it is baffling.

My brother in law bought a Honda ACCORD in bkk and he told me he looked at both mine and his and although the Fortuner was cheaper he still went with the Accord. He said he had a hard time driving the fortuner on the streets of BKK.

As far as I can see, we are all on the same page. The fortuner is an amazing vehicle. It's a no-brainer in every way. The consideration for is whether you are driving in the city or not. I live in central BKK, drive 90% of time in traffic and parking in small garages, etc. After driving the fortuner around for a day and the crv, i can tell you that the fortuner is big for the city. It's also not as comfortable to drive as the CRV which has all the creature comforts one would need....it's a well thought out interior..from USB hook up for your iphone/ipod to ergonomically designed controls. The Toyota is not as comfortable to drive and you can't even adjust the depth of the steering wheel...only up and down. It's great if you have a driver or do a lot of country driving, but don't recommend it for the city.

On my way to honda now to buy the 2.4 CRV, btw.. you can use Gasohol with the Honda and save money.

Great thread...thanks for all the input