State Of Emergency Decree Imposed In Bangkok

george

I am an Aussie who subscribes to Thai Visa. I have been following this since it started, mostly on the "news only" topics. I am about to book flights from KL to Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi for May.

Do I book or not?? at the moment my only financial commitment to Thailand is $200, that will increase to $2000 if I book.Now a State of Emergency has been declared that voids travel insurance.

Ok folks - what do I do? Well me and probably thousands of other tourists.

My sister is coming in May too - her first overseas holiday - there are 18 in her group.

Nobody knows. Its a great question. You might want to start a thread about this in the travel forum. I am sure a look of potential travelers share your concerns.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

and so say most of u = oh really -u and your vast majority -- the reality is that most thai want peace = now even the army is refusing to use force -- thai against thai -- the only solution to this situation is to have an election asap = pity (Jingthing is such a diehard yellow supporter

Jingthing is Not a diehard Yellow shirt.. he just happens to have a brain...

:):D:D:D

Oh i gotta get a breath thats funny

WRONG! It means they were accepting orders from their elected government to not be provoked into reaction. It is called discipline and is a military characteristic. If the generals were interested enough in their country's welfare to remove a nascent dictator, what makes you think they will allow it to be taken over by his rabble? Do you think they want Thaksin to take command, kiss and forget?

What ELECTED government? I remember military taking over one actually ELECTED government not so long ago...

The reds have played right into Abhisit's hands , to the point that they declare civil war , Abhisit has carried out his duty to the tee and full marks to him , this will just strengthen his chances of leading government for years to come.

10/10 Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva

Quiick guys, my 7/11 just ran out of beer...... get out and buy up as much as you can before the fun starts...Pass another Chang..!!

QUOTE (Jingthing @ 2010-04-07 22:57:24) 
QUOTE (haroldc @ 2010-04-07 19:54:29) 
Me, I'm 63 years old so my "future" in Thailand is somewhat limited. But my wife and 3 children are Thai, and I care about their future in this country. I don't want it determined by demagogues of any persuasion, and the reds' leaders are a clear and present danger to rational, benevolent, and progressive governance.
Thank you for that very credible testimony. Of course, I agree with your conclusion. A Thaksin red shirt dictatorship would be a disaster for Thailand and a huge step backwards. Thailand is running out of time to compete in the modern world. It really can't afford any more delays imposed by Thaksin and the insurgent red leaders.

Well that make 3 of us that think more of our Thai families than we do about our western superiority to tell Thai's what they must do in their own country

Well this old fellow here 64 has been here twenty years married for seventeen of them and as a result we have three great boys count me in as number four in your group please

The yellow airport close started in Bangkok and spread to Phuket.

And this forum keeps saying that the Reds are from the North - Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where we are spending most of our time.

You can't have it both ways.

A lot of people of here, not this particular topic, keep saying what is this doing to tourism, to the Baht - well this is what it is doing.

:):D:D:D

Oh i gotta get a breath thats funny

That's OK.

I am not pro yellow. I think they are too fascistic for my taste. Their idea about a largely appointed parliament was outrageous. On the other hand, I support the yellow disgust of all things Thaksin. The Abhisit government, which I do support, is not yellow, is not PAD, PAD has its own party. Informed people know that. This isn't about red vs yellow. Red insurgent propagandists try to make it look that way, but its a big lie. It is an insult to be called a yellow when you are NOT a yellow supporter (which for the 1000th time, I am not) because people who aren't fascists do not like to be called fascists. If you are a fascist, that's another story.

Edited by Jingthing

It's about time! Totally justified for all the world to see.

A message to the good people of Thailand.

I can tell you with confidence the vast majority of foreigners support your honorable PM Abhisit in his valiant effort to fight anarchic red shirt's illegal attempt at revolution and the rule of a violent mob. Good luck to and best hopes for a PEACEFUL resolution.

I'm green with envy. Sometimes I wish I agreed with the rich people who are already in power too.

Then I could say whatever I wanted, and nobody would censor me.

The many polls I have done are not limited to the insurgent's home base. I am confident I am right about this. How could westerners support an anti-democratic corrupt dictator wannabe like Thaksin.

We don't. And if you believe the vast majority of the reds are fighting for him, you are hopelessly deluding yourself. Keep drinking that government Kool-Aid. Most thinking westerners know better.

And I'll venture to say that most Thais understand by who and how this country is run. Thaksin v Prem is the flashpoint, not the main event. The sleeping giant of the Thai people has now been awakened, and both Thaksin and his opponents will lose. They are all scared. That's why no compromises, no deals. dam_n genie won't go back in the bottle.

History shows that the birth of democracy is, often as not, a painful, bloody affair. So enjoy your little war, it's about to crank up a notch. And don't take the anti-falang comments so personally. We're just collateral damage when either side wants to play the nationalism card.

Wolfie, I'm sorry but I can't ake it anymore. Anyone who knows parlimentary HS (thats's highschool civics) understands how PM's are chosen. You just don't seem to understand that a duly elected government was thrown out (analogous to a Parliment voting no confidence of a sitting PM) which require disolving Parliment and holding a national referendum. Somehow it appears that to you stating the obvious is helpful.

Please tell me of any other case than a coup where a duly elected sitting goverment is removed.

Exactly . Agree 100%.

A court dissolves an entire party , the one in power mind you .

(Well it could have been the army arresting all the MPs same philosophy)

Then the opposition can take over , no general election .

Surrealist :):D:D

It's surreal for sure.

Now let's try reality. Please tell me of any other real example case than a coup where a duly elected sitting goverment is removed.

ANSWER : NONE :D

WRONG! It means they were accepting orders from their elected government to not be provoked into reaction. It is called discipline and is a military characteristic. If the generals were interested enough in their country's welfare to remove a nascent dictator, what makes you think they will allow it to be taken over by his rabble? Do you think they want Thaksin to take command, kiss and forget?

What ELECTED government? I remember military taking over one actually ELECTED government not so long ago...

But you don't remember the election that came 13 months AFTER the coup? Odd, because there was one. Look it up, it was was in all the papers. :)

I can tell you with confidence the vast majority of foreigners support your honorable PM Abhisit in his valiant effort to fight anarchic red shirt's illegal attempt at revolution and the rule of a violent mob. Good luck to and best hopes for a PEACEFUL resolution.

<deleted>! who appointed you spokesman?

The yellows occupied giv offices for months with no comeback. The reds go in for 10 minutes and a state of emergency is declared.

This obvious inequality is precisely why they are demonstrating and this is one farang that understands.

somo: married to a red shirt wife from Isaan (probably Phrae)? Wait and see... and don't give these red primates too much credit; you may regret afterwards (and that will not even take very long). Please moderate your language. It's true that the vast majority of foreigners are supporting the actual government. Admit this. :)

Another disgustingly prejudiced spokesman who elected himself. Bit like the goverment! No mandate no credibility.

The word primates implies you think that perhaps they are not human but maybe apes. Shame on you!!

Perhaps you think some form af racial segregation would be the solution?

"Primates" includes humans - the inference is your own :Dhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primates

Does anyone have a guess on when the govt will act? The reds have said that they will hold their biggest rally on Friday. It would make sense to me for the govt to do something before Friday. The longer they wait the worse the situation gets for them.

Thaksin Shinawatra has no interest in anything other than recouping his stolen money

I agree with you the current goverment stole his money and he wants it back, cant argue with the guy

hahahah funniest post i have seen all day"

But TRUE

Thai Wife says

You Ling Ling Mak Mak

Some people support the reds for what they WISH the reds were, not what they ACTUALLY are. Anyone who seriously thinks that the reds and THAKSIN are not tied at the hip is basically just deluding themselves. I don't doubt your good intentions though. Idealism is nice, warm, and fuzzy. Good for you to have those pleasant feelings. However, I am sure you aren't accepting the truth (today, yesterday, or tomorrow).

Edited by Jingthing

I am an Aussie who subscribes to Thai Visa. I have been following this since it started, mostly on the "news only" topics. I am about to book flights from KL to Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi for May.

Do I book or not?? at the moment my only financial commitment to Thailand is $200, that will increase to $2000 if I book.Now a State of Emergency has been declared that voids travel insurance.

Ok folks - what do I do? Well me and probably thousands of other tourists.

My sister is coming in May too - her first overseas holiday - there are 18 in her group.

You need to read the news more closely. The state of emergency only applies to Bangkok and surrounding provinces, and there has been virtually no problems in other places. Chiangmai, Phuket and Krabi are nt affected at all.

Why be so condescending? I read his post as "will the airport be ok?" I for one am thinking the same as i have to fly to KL tomorrow evening. Nothing i can do about whatever the outcome will be, so little point in asking for fear of a pointless and time-wasting response like this!

Since when were you the voice of the "vast majority of foreigners"?

I have tried to show restrain while some members here have voiced their opinions her on TV, But they are so blind... While I personally may not agree with some tactics used by the 'Reds', they however have a valid cause... Thailand is current run by an elietest unelected government. The current government is trying to stamp out the voice of 'democracy'(if that really exists within any polical system worldwide anyway). The current UNELECTED government while pretending to fighting corruption are doing nothing more than stalling on an election so they can best position themsleves for their own selfish interests... So please stop thinking you represent the voice of the 'Vast Majority' You are just sounding like the unelected puppet of the military.

The poor and uneducated of Thailand should be allowed a voice and should be allowed to have their say in who runs their country. Isn't that what democary is supposed to be? The PM and the current unelected puppet government wants to silence anyone not dancing to their tune... this protest has grown beyond being about Thaksin and has some serious issues that the people of Thailand need addressed.

[Now I know I have made a few spelling errors for which I apologise before the TV Keyboard warriors jump on that... I wish ALL here in Thailand a happy songkran and hope that a soloution will be found and that peace and a sense of justice prevails...

tybkk - well said and seconded.

From definitely NOT one of the "vast majority of foreigners".

The yellow airport close started in Bangkok and spread to Phuket.

And this forum keeps saying that the Reds are from the North - Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai where we are spending most of our time.

You can't have it both ways.

A lot of people of here, not this particular topic, keep saying what is this doing to tourism, to the Baht - well this is what it is doing.

You will have noticed that those reds are currently in Bangkok. Apart from the odd grenade at an ex-politicians house, or Makro car park at 2.00 am there has been little happening in Chiang Mai.

I was in Chiang Mai a couple of weeks ago and it was BUSINESS AS USUAL.

I was in Central/Chidlom 10 days ago and you would not know that a protest was going on (obviously you would now).

You are probably in more danger from a mugging on the streets of London, or Sydney, or a khatoey picking your pocket in Pattaya.

arrest all the reds leaders now!

sorry but what a dummy quote! ....get an idea of Thai Politics first or go back to your country if you think it affects you.

Is there not something like a POLL here in Thaivisa. May be then we will learn for which party the foreigners here will vote.

I do not like the yellows nor the reds, I like freedom. But if people go on streets in masses like that it shows that there are not really happy with the government. And dont you tell me everybody of the demonstrators is paid by Taksin....thats a lot of bull when you see in which numbers they are on the streets.

Dont forget, Thailand is not a democratic country and things can change on a daily basis here.

I WANT A POLL :)