State Of Emergency Decree Imposed In Bangkok

george

i think a lot of the red shirts are being paid 2000 THB per day and is really why this is all going on

this is why all toxic chitwater supporters need to see he is a really bad man

drop all support for this power tripper NOW

if I meet any I will make sure they now know this is way over the top and shows his true colors

he is willing to destroy his country to keep his toys, money :) and power

truely he is more evil than words can say

Edited by verygoodgirl

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Let me break it down for the Americans out there. The Red shirts are like hill billies from the Ozarks and Appalachians. Poor, not well educated and a bit marginalized by the rest of the country. They idolize a corrupt billionaire named Bernie Madoff, they thinks he's the cat's ass. Bernie is in jail for his misdeeds but sees these rubes as his ticket to freedom and the restoration of his ill gotten fortune. He tries to enlist the help of a million of these fine folks, but through bribery and angry rhetoric he only manages to get 50,000 to participate in his scheme. He has them march on Washington, he even puts gas in their pickups so they can make the journey. They occupy the streets of the nation's capitol. They piss on the sidewalks and make a nuisance of themselves. They loiter and block intersections and hang out at the Lincoln memorial. They hope by doing this that Obama will not only pardon Bernie, but that he'll declare him the new President. Sounds insane doesn't it? What about the other 300 million or so citizens? Shouldn't they get a say? No, all that matters is that Bernie Madoff gets rich and powerful once more. And when he does his protesters can go back to moonshining and marrying their cousins.

And that in a nutshell is what it is like to live in Thailand these days.

It is certainly true that the occupation of the airport was illegal. But IMHO, I consider the results of the red shirts winning this battle to be much more devastating for Thailand. Think what that will mean. Taksin will return in full glory. If you acknowledge that he was a corrupt thief before, think how he will be with this new empowerment. He will certainly maneuver the laws to enable him to stay in power indefinitely. Knowledgeable Thais tell me that he has other plans which cannot be expressed on this forum.

My Thai wife and I left Thailand in great part because we were sickened by Taksin’s shenanigans. It will be a very sad situation if he is able to return to power again. Thais and Thailand deserve much better. While the current administration is far from perfect, consider the alternatives.

arrest all the reds leaders now!

Totally agree ... they are breaking the law !! blocking roads , causing traffic problems , invading government premises that are out of bounds.

Arrest the chiefs and water cannon the others !!

Enough is enough !!

:)

"Excuse I must have been asleep.. What election was Abhisit and his cronnies elected in??? Did the world and myslef miss something?????"

No only you missed it

Go back to your drinking you will miss the next one as well

your are sure reading the wrong papers --- i cant recall ever reading that the present govt was duly elected -- they are there with the help of the army following a coup - u forget that part - and then the court banned all member of the present govt because they were taksins boys --- so if u are going to qoute facts - make sure the ones u quote are correct - and not pro yellow - sure sounds like it me and =- and the vast majority ahaaa

You cannot recall the last election? Or the two previous PM's? Samak and Somchai?

Or that the court only banned a few executive members, but that the majority are NOT banned, from PPP, and went on to form several different parties?

What facts is it you know? You got the above ones wrong...

Just a note, several of those MPs who went to different parties are now part of the current ruling coalition.

Everybody has to cool down a read a little better the informations 'between the lines"

1- Red Shirts have not declared a Civil war but war to Government. important difference

2- the said government is loosing steam and support

- some information this afternoon of "ultimatum" from General Anupong added to some others informations ...(in this thread) tends to demonstrate this

- the mitigated press Conference of his allied Banharm taking position against the State of Emergency, giving the name of the next PM (Khun Chuan Leekpai) and also the support to the 4 EX PM discussions for finding a solution to the crisis

3- From the information quoted on TV and given in this thread, we can also easily understand that the Elite fears above all a general stoppage of work which will have heavy consequences on all Thais. So time is to serious discussions and not to provocations. The current manoeuvre is not in the correct direction.

Bravo! Well said! Much the same sentiment amongst my Thai in-laws who come from very humble roots as farmers in Korat but worked hard to send their 3 children to school and university so that they could get good jobs and contribute to the development of their country. They are shaking their heads in dismay and disgust as many of their underachieving (lazy?) Isaan neighbors happily sell their votes and don red shirts for a couple hundred baht a day with the naive assumption that if they can bring Taksin back he'll put more money in their pockets. If the reds prevail NOTHING will improve and it will be a sad day for Thailand as the country takes one more step backwards into the khlong.

Fantastic post, my wife has a very good friend she has known since Uni that is from Issan and the girl worked two jobs while attending school paid for it her self and now has a very good job in IT in a very very large Beverage company here in BKK. She is beyond disgusted with the RED mob, she is baffled why her and many of her friends managed to do just fine without selling their votes and running up credit they knew they could never repay then think running through the streets like wild animals would somehow fix the issue. Luckily for her she does not look like your stereotypical Issan girl so she takes little flak from co-workers but she says the mood in her company from the CEO down to the cleaners could not be MORE anti RED and anti Thaksin than it is now... I say give it a few days it's like to get worse

Everybody has to cool down a read a little better the informations 'between the lines"

1- Red Shirts have not declared a Civil war but war to Government. important difference

2- the said government is loosing steam and support

- some information this afternoon of "ultimatum" from General Anupong added to some others informations ...(in this thread) tends to demonstrate this

- the mitigated press Conference of his allied Banharm taking position against the State of Emergency, giving the name of the next PM (Khun Chuan Leekpai) and also the support to the 4 EX PM discussions for finding a solution to the crisis

3- From the information quoted on TV and given in this thread, we can also easily understand that the Elite fears above all a general stoppage of work which will have heavy consequences on all Thais. So time is to serious discussions and not to provocations. The current manoeuvre is not in the correct direction.

Pardon?

Dude -- get this straight.

I am not pro yellow. I am anti-red.

The Abhisit government is 100 percent legal and freely elected under the laws of Thailand. You want elections? Fine. WAIT for them, an angry mob is not the answer. Neither is declaring war on the government.

Excuse I must have been asleep.. What election was Abhisit and his cronnies elected in??? Did the world and myslef miss something?????

They were all voted in as MP's at the last general election. It's then up to the MP's to form a group or group of groups large enough to have something called a majority. If a majority group is formed they get to choose the Prime Minister and the rest of the Government. Didn't you learn this in primary school like everyone else ?

Alright . They voted themselves in power thai style with a little help from the courts .

Its perfectly legal .... in Thailand .

Coz havent heard of any other democratic country IN THE WORLD where such thing have happened .

Anyway whats the point to argue now .

PS Edit : If anyone here has heard of a similar story outside Thailand please provide a link .

Edited by moresomekl

Will it be dangerous to go extend visas tomorrow? >>;

Don't worry. Everything will be almost as normal here in BKK.

You may only face some delay due to trafic on some routes.

opalhort

Only if the Thaksinaman republican militia carpet bomb the banana-skin democrats tonight and Thaksin installs himself as the spiritual leader of Thailand, in which case we are all screwed tomorrow.

Let me break it down for the Americans out there. The Red shirts are like hill billies from the Ozarks and Appalachians. Poor, not well educated and a bit marginalized by the rest of the country. They idolize a corrupt billionaire named Bernie Madoff, they thinks he's the cat's ass. Bernie is in jail for his misdeeds but sees these rubes as his ticket to freedom and the restoration of his ill gotten fortune. He tries to enlist the help of a million of these fine folks, but through bribery and angry rhetoric he only manages to get 50,000 to participate in his scheme. He has them march on Washington, he even puts gas in their pickups so they can make the journey. They occupy the streets of the nation's capitol. They piss on the sidewalks and make a nuisance of themselves. They loiter and block intersections and hang out at the Lincoln memorial. They hope by doing this that Obama will not only pardon Bernie, but that he'll declare him the new President. Sounds insane doesn't it? What about the other 300 million or so citizens? Shouldn't they get a say? No, all that matters is that Bernie Madoff gets rich and powerful once more. And when he does his protesters can go back to moonshining and marrying their cousins.

And that in a nutshell is what it is like to live in Thailand these days.

Brilliant...... :) (and i'm not even from the USA)

How do you know that the vast, or even majority of aliens support the geordie boy? If he had a shred of honor he would call elections now. Demonstrating peacefully is not 'anarchic'

Why waste time talking to people who haven't been following the news? Read up before making ignorant statements, please. Demonstrating peacefully, huh? Its sad anyone still is trying that line.

RARELY DO I POST LIKE THIS...I am a "back seat" member but.....It really astounds me that all you guys get so excited over something you have absolutley no control over.

You don't have a say, you have an opinion but its worthless, do you think the Prime Minister checks out Thai Visa before he makes decsions (oh what do the farangs think I should do) Get real

You get yourselves involved in stressful confrontations with each other...and for what??? :) Does it make you feel superior ???

Internet Warriors is all you are.

I've seen it all before having been a member for 6 years, and have always distanced myself from political threads.

But ask me about a good plumber in CM and I will galdly tell you :D

Me, I watch it on the tele and read the posted pages which don't allow comments, because YOUR comments are irrelevant, beacuse YOU can't change anything.......there is naff all I can do about it either, though I have my OPINION..which is worthless too...I suggest some of you guys chill out and except ..your opinion is worth jack shit here.

Goodnight :D

We will wake up...to what we wake up too :D

But if you wanna carry on feel free.....you'll find me in the football forum

absolutely true. thats all people do and bicker away.

I saw this live on Television...and that is not what they said. They said: The Government has declared war on us...Decalared war on us Redshirts....declared war on us..the Thai people. This is typical of the kind of "journalism" we have been seen lately.... Then they asked all Thai people to come support them and all international people too...

"They will come to disperse us but we We will fight them with all peaceful means." That is what I heard and saw myself....not second hand and it was just about 15 -20 minutes ago. Where does this crap come from?

Most sensible post I have read here so far. Jingthing tends to see red whenever he hears the word red. Also, I am not one of his so called majority falungs.

Edited by MickGC

your are sure reading the wrong papers --- i cant recall ever reading that the present govt was duly elected -- they are there with the help of the army following a coup - u forget that part - and then the court banned all member of the present govt because they were taksins boys --- so if u are going to qoute facts - make sure the ones u quote are correct - and not pro yellow - sure sounds like it me and =- and the vast majority ahaaa

And if you wanna talk facts, no PM was ever elected by the people, MP's are elected by the people and then the MP's choose who will be the PM by parliamentary vote.

And just for your information, the coup ousted a caretaker PM who failed to call an election within the allotted time. They gave power back to the people and called a General Election about a year later, where PPP managed to cobble together a coalition government after failing to get a suitable majority to take power themselves. The Courts found the PPP leaders guilty of vote buying and banned them from politics, after which PTP was formed, but the Democrat party managed to get a big enough coalition together to take the government.

So maybe its you who are reading the wrong papers and need to check up on your facts :)

Wolfie, I'm sorry but I can't ake it anymore. Anyone who knows parlimentary HS (thats's highschool civics) understands how PM's are chosen. You just don't seem to understand that a duly elected government was thrown out (analogous to a Parliment voting no confidence of a sitting PM) which require disolving Parliment and holding a national referendum. Somehow it appears that to you stating the obvious is helpful.

Please tell me of any other case than a coup where a duly elected sitting goverment is removed.

Red-shirts Declare War against Govt

BANGKOK: -- The red-shirt group has declared war against the government after a state of emergency was announced.

It encouraged supporters nationwide to lay siege to provincial town halls.

Yo, somchai, we have the place under siege. Now what?

Can we break for lunch now?

so, when's the baht gonna start falling???

Don't be so selfish. Lives are on the line now. This is no joke. Thank Thaksin for this mess. He was willing to destroy his own country for his money and power greed.

Not so fast there Mr or Mrs Jingthing, this all started with the bullies that lead the Coup against a democratically elected government and installed their own puppets after a second democractically elected government was forced out also. Most people in Thailand(The Thai's it's their country) want to have an elected government by the people. If this is to be a democracy that is the only way it has to be.

What a crock, why do ppl continually wheel out the totally fallacious undemocratic Govt Chestnut. Every member of Govt was elected by the people, as with most democratic countries, it was necessary to form a coalition of parties with sufficient elected members to form a Govt. What is so difficult to understand. DUH

Me three, who elected you to speak for us? You sound like that apologist Obama! DON'T speak for me , or the "majority" unless we ask you to!! :)

Struck a nerve there, didn't I? Good. I already addressed this issue. Please actually READ the thread before commenting, it might help.

My Thai wife is really hot under the collar and says

Then go home and stop working

It is the reds that declared war, the Government have been way to calm for way to long

Thailand belongs to Thais not the west

Nobody is making the red shirts stay

but we are poor Thais and we have bills to pay, so let us live our lives with freedom

She also says she came to Bkk to make money to send home to her family

Not one poor Red Shirt offered her a job

It is the so call well off in Thailand that hire the people from the North

and it the well to do people in Bkk that allows her to send money home to her family

So all you Farang please go to the back seats

you can have your thoughts but this is about our country and if you don't like it

GET OUT

That logic is awesome. I will try to keep it short, so ..basically no red shirt offered her a job because most of the red shirts are not in a position to offer jobs. They're employed rather than employers. And the "well to do people" offered her a job, sure. But how much? I see people working in 7-Eleven all month for what...6,000 or 7,000 Baht? Sure you can claim that they don't need more or that they can live from it. But there's a difference between able to live from it and the ability to do better.

You can bet that that kind of logic is repeated several million times in the heads of most of the population. Not the same sentiments, not the same argument, not the same view, but the same inability to analyse a situation with clarity and acuity. That's a large part of why Thai politics is always a damned mess

BANGKOK: -- The red-shirt group has declared war against the government after a state of emergency was announced.

But must not be described as insurgents, that would be misleading (lol)

Having spent 2000-2009 working either directly or indirectly as a consultant for 4 ministries, in I can't remember how many governments and through 2 coups, my opinion is that - excluding the periods when Khun Anand was Prime Minister - Abhisit's government has been the most socially progressive and effective in addressing ministerial corruption.

I know a great deal about inner workings of Thaksin's various programs for Issan, less so the North. EVERY program had a spin.

Here's 1,000,000 baht for your village... Thaksin is giving it to you. Of course, the pho-yai baan would never think of taking a sanctioned commission on the disbursements. Of course, the subsequent house-by-house visits by various agents of mobile telephone services, automobile and motorcycle dealerships - not to mention the loan sharks - was merely a coincidence. Of course, the default rate on what was represented as "loans" is astronomical. Loan, what loan? Thaksin gave us this money.

Here's a paved road right through your village. And by the way, you won't have dust blowing into you house every time something passes. Of course, the paved road stops 500 meters on each side of the village, so going anywhere in a reasonable amount of time and in relative comfort is still impossible. Sorry that it doesn't give you better access to markets or schools, but after all, Thaksin gave you a paved road, didn't he? You didn't have to pay for it, did you? Of course, your road will need regular repair from a highly qualified local contractor, say every 6 months or so, and between repairs - well, even if there usually are 10 or 15 one meter wide holes 20 cm. deep between repairs - there is less dust then before, isn't there?

Me, I'm 63 years old so my "future" in Thailand is somewhat limited. But my wife and 3 children are Thai, and I care about their future in this country. I don't want it determined by demagogues of any persuasion, and the reds' leaders are a clear and present danger to rational, benevolent, and progressive governance.

One poster has challenged the TRANSLATION of this item. This is critical. If the red shirt leaders have REALLY declared war on the government of the Kingdom of Thailand, that is huge. If they didn't and there is something lost in translation, that is very important to know.

I will add that a Government is a fuse which must be replaced when it has failed.

To try to keep his position and failing to solve the main issues which will have defused the situation is the main reason why Abhisit is considered as selfish. Focusing too much on the Prematurate elections is a mistake. In fact it is of low importance in front of the main issues than Thailand is facing, it is a futile debate and important risks are taken for the Country....

RARELY DO I POST LIKE THIS...I am a "back seat" member but.....It really astounds me that all you guys get so excited over something you have absolutley no control over.

You don't have a say, you have an opinion but its worthless, do you think the Prime Minister checks out Thai Visa before he makes decsions (oh what do the farangs think I should do) Get real

You get yourselves involved in stressful confrontations with each other...and for what??? :) Does it make you feel superior ???

Internet Warriors is all you are.

I've seen it all before having been a member for 6 years, and have always distanced myself from political threads.

But ask me about a good plumber in CM and I will galdly tell you :D

Me, I watch it on the tele and read the posted pages which don't allow comments, because YOUR comments are irrelevant, beacuse YOU can't change anything.......there is naff all I can do about it either, though I have my OPINION..which is worthless too...I suggest some of you guys chill out and except ..your opinion is worth jack shit here.

Goodnight :D

We will wake up...to what we wake up too :D

But if you wanna carry on feel free.....you'll find me in the football forum

absolutely true. thats all people do and bicker away.

Another excellent post. This thread is bringing out some great responses. Thaipauly, i agree with you whole heartedly. It's just after a stressful day in the office i love to unwind by reading one member winding up another, it's almost sport. Carry on....

It's about time! Totally justified for all the world to see.

A message to the good people of Thailand.

I can tell you with confidence the vast majority of foreigners support your honorable PM Abhisit in his valiant effort to fight anarchic red shirt's illegal attempt at revolution and the rule of a violent mob. Good luck to and best hopes for a PEACEFUL resolution.

Since when were you the voice of the "vast majority of foreigners"?

I have tried to show restrain while some members here have voiced their opinions her on TV, But they are so blind... While I personally may not agree with some tactics used by the 'Reds', they however have a valid cause... Thailand is current run by an elietest unelected government. The current government is trying to stamp out the voice of 'democracy'(if that really exists within any polical system worldwide anyway). The current UNELECTED government while pretending to fighting corruption are doing nothing more than stalling on an election so they can best position themsleves for their own selfish interests... So please stop thinking you represent the voice of the 'Vast Majority' You are just sounding like the unelected puppet of the military.

The poor and uneducated of Thailand should be allowed a voice and should be allowed to have their say in who runs their country. Isn't that what democary is supposed to be? The PM and the current unelected puppet government wants to silence anyone not dancing to their tune... this protest has grown beyond being about Thaksin and has some serious issues that the people of Thailand need addressed.

[Now I know I have made a few spelling errors for which I apologise before the TV Keyboard warriors jump on that... I wish ALL here in Thailand a happy songkran and hope that a soloution will be found and that peace and a sense of justice prevails...

What utter Tosh, unelected RUBBISH. I for one AGREE with Jingthing, so there I have now put my Toe in.

BT