State Of Emergency Decree Imposed In Bangkok

george

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's about time! Totally justified for all the world to see.

A message to the good people of Thailand.

I can tell you with confidence the vast majority of foreigners support your honorable PM Abhisit in his valiant effort to fight anarchic red shirt's illegal attempt at revolution and the rule of a violent mob. Good luck to and best hopes for a PEACEFUL resolution.

What do you consider "the vast Majority of foreigners" ? I guess you think people sould not have a say in how their country is run. Why don't you go back to ................ what ever country you are from.

Based on MANY polls over many months here, the hub of foreigner in Thailand communication, there have been CONSISTENT results of about 2/3 being opposed to the red shirt revolutionaries, and 1/3 being in favor of the insurgents. Insurgent is the correct word. They have declared WAR.

and so say most of u = oh really -u and your vast majority -- the reality is that most thai want peace = now even the army is refusing to use force -- thai against thai -- the only solution to this situation is to have an election asap = pity (Jingthing is such a diehard yellow supporter

Jingthing is Not a diehard Yellow shirt.. he just happens to have a brain...

Me, I'm 63 years old so my "future" in Thailand is somewhat limited. But my wife and 3 children are Thai, and I care about their future in this country. I don't want it determined by demagogues of any persuasion, and the reds' leaders are a clear and present danger to rational, benevolent, and progressive governance.

Thank you for that very credible testimony. Of course, I agree with your conclusion. A Thaksin red shirt dictatorship would be a disaster for Thailand and a huge step backwards. Thailand is running out of time to compete in the modern world. It really can't afford any more delays imposed by Thaksin and the insurgent red leaders.

And the elitist yellows are better

Who you kiddin but I understand your thought process

kick all the poor ass pions back to there rice fields and and let the elitists get back to there gravy train

Hmmm good idea

give me a break

Had to happen with Songkran on the way, if they don't do something before then it will be chaos on the streets - government already under huge pressure to act.

The taking over of the Airport made Thailand as the biggest joke in the world.Still have relatives and friend that will not visit me because of that. They are scared to get stuck here and loose their jobs at home.

there is eough rumour the airport will be seized again, - this time by the red shirts.

a test case of old elites, i.e.yellow shirts - vs. red shirt farmers???????

will justice be seen to be manifestly done?????????

whose fine will be heavier, red or yellow????

remember, the yellows got away with a paltry unpaid fine to date.

will the reds' fine be heavier and more severe?

your folks back home???

meet them half way in laos.

I can tell you with confidence the vast majority of foreigners support your honorable PM Abhisit in his valiant effort to fight anarchic red shirt's illegal attempt at revolution and the rule of a violent mob. Good luck to and best hopes for a PEACEFUL resolution.

so now u have taken up speaking for the vast majority of farang - well sunshine count me out of your vast majority - would u like to qoute what percentage u claim is the vast majority --- sounds like another yellow shirt supporter - illegal - what part is illegial - the illegal government in place or the reds who just claim equal justice and recognition -

Count me out too.

Count me out as well

So when does it stop. What happens if after the next elections you get the purple shirts. Are they allowed to paralyze the country because first the yellow then the reds could. Then you get the beige shirts, then the polka dot shirts. Is any group with a grievance allowed to paralyze the country. Yes it should have stopped with the yellow but it didn't.

It has to stop somewhere though.

Brilliant !

Amongst a fair bit of entrenched cr4p coming out (naturally to be expected at a time like this) we get a superb post such as this from Throatwobbler.

So when DOES it stop. When will someone get off the merry-go-round and accept that what has happened is now history, what is happening is current and IF you want to see a future for Thailand then you have to look ahead and look for different solutions.

People like Abhisit can help to achieve that. People like Thaksin (and others with deep-seated opposing views) cannot.

Mixed feelings. Just sent my wife to Nonthaburi but she's driving my new truck.

Hope it is painted red, mate?

Your first post on ThaiVisa? Did your other username get banned or something?

Why ask a stupid question like that?

Do we all have to be as mundane as probably all your 2000 odd posts are?

Lighten up man and have a smile or a grip. I am here on holidays for a good time, and from what I have heard from the Thai's I have come in contact with, is that they are neutral to all 'this' and just hope it blows over

so now u have taken up speaking for the vast majority of farang - well sunshine count me out of your vast majority - would u like to qoute what percentage u claim is the vast majority --- sounds like another yellow shirt supporter - illegal - what part is illegial - the illegal government in place or the reds who just claim equal justice and recognition -

Count me out too.

Count me out as well

count me out too

I am an Aussie who subscribes to Thai Visa. I have been following this since it started, mostly on the "news only" topics. I am about to book flights from KL to Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi for May.

Do I book or not?? at the moment my only financial commitment to Thailand is $200, that will increase to $2000 if I book.Now a State of Emergency has been declared that voids travel insurance.

Ok folks - what do I do? Well me and probably thousands of other tourists.

My sister is coming in May too - her first overseas holiday - there are 18 in her group.

If you try to look this objectively, one thing is the inaction of the Thai Military. Even when there has been attacks against soldiers! That means a) generals are not taking sides or :) not agreeing what to do (infighting going on behind the scenes) or c) majority of them supports the reds and will soon take over.

WRONG! It means they were accepting orders from their elected government to not be provoked into reaction. It is called discipline and is a military characteristic. If the generals were interested enough in their country's welfare to remove a nascent dictator, what makes you think they will allow it to be taken over by his rabble? Do you think they want Thaksin to take command, kiss and forget?

Mixed feelings. Just sent my wife to Nonthaburi but she's driving my new truck.

Hope it is painted red, mate?

Your first post on ThaiVisa? Did your other username get banned or something?

Why ask a stupid question like that?

Do we all have to be as mundane as probably all your 2000 odd posts are?

Lighten up man and have a smile or a grip. I am here on holidays for a good time, and from what I have heard from the Thai's I have come in contact with, is that they are neutral to all 'this' and just hope it blows over

A lot of people are bored with it all from both red and yellow sides if you bother to talk to anyone

PM declares state of emergency in Thai capital

BANGKOK (TNA) -- Thailand's Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on Wednesday evening declared a state of emergency in the capital and

adjacent provinces to restore normalcy after nearly a month of anti-government protests spiralled out of control threatening national security.

"The state of emergency is aimed to restore order to the society and people but not aimed to crack down on innocent people, Mr Abhisit assured the

public in a nationally televised address flanked by key cabinet members.

The prime minister stated that the state of emergency is necessary as the demonstration has escalated into violations of law that severely affected

society and the economy, and undermined international confidence in Thailand.

Despite the enforcement of the Internal Security Act, the protesters continued to act in defiance of the law and stormed into the Parliament on Wednesday.

Mr Abhisit said the state of emergency will allow the authorities to arrest the protest leaders and to ensure that measures will be taken

effectively to prevent any untoward incident including sabotage.

The state of emergency takes effect immediately in and around Bangkok and some districts of other provinces comprising Samut Prakan, Nonthaburi,

Pathum Thani, Nakhon Pathom and Ayutthaya.

The prime minister also announced the establishment of a centre to handle the emergency situation under direct command of Deputy Prime Minister

Suthep Thaugsuban. He also asked the general public to cooperate with authorities by not taking part in the UDD-led mass rally.

The state of emergency has been announced hours after the anti-government protesters led by the 'Red Shirt' United Front for Democracy against

Dictatorship (UDD) briefly stormed Parliament on Wednesday forcing some cabinet members and lawmakers to scale walls to flee and a Black Hawk

helicopter evacuated Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban and other key political figures out of the compound.

Tens of thousands of protesters, many of whom are loyal to ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, have been rallying for nearly a month since

March 12 to pressure the prime minister to dissolve the House within 15 days. However, the premier rejected their demand. Two rounds of

negotiations ended in failure.

The protesters have besieged the capital’s commercial and prime shopping district at Ratchaprasong for five consecutive days forcing high-end

department stores in the areas to close and paralysing most traffic in one of the capital's normally busiest districts.

Meanwhile, the Red Shirt leaders rejected the state of emergency and announced a plan to mobilise their supporters to hold what they claim will

be their biggest rally on Friday with the intention of toppling the government.

Security have been stepped up around the protest sites with more red guards deployed at key points.

Nuttawut Saikua, one of the key leaders said the protesters will stay put both at its main rally sites at Phan Fa bridge and at Ratchaprasong

intersection.

"The Red Shirts will fight in all forms and it will be the biggest one this Friday," said Mr Nuttawut, calling for the people nationwide to join

demonstrations at their provincial halls. (TNA)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2010-04-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

your are sure reading the wrong papers --- i cant recall ever reading that the present govt was duly elected -- they are there with the help of the army following a coup - u forget that part - and then the court banned all member of the present govt because they were taksins boys --- so if u are going to qoute facts - make sure the ones u quote are correct - and not pro yellow - sure sounds like it me and =- and the vast majority ahaaa

And if you wanna talk facts, no PM was ever elected by the people, MP's are elected by the people and then the MP's choose who will be the PM by parliamentary vote.

And just for your information, the coup ousted a caretaker PM who failed to call an election within the allotted time. They gave power back to the people and called a General Election about a year later, where PPP managed to cobble together a coalition government after failing to get a suitable majority to take power themselves. The Courts found the PPP leaders guilty of vote buying and banned them from politics, after which PTP was formed, but the Democrat party managed to get a big enough coalition together to take the government.

So maybe its you who are reading the wrong papers and need to check up on your facts :D

Wolfie, I'm sorry but I can't ake it anymore. Anyone who knows parlimentary HS (thats's highschool civics) understands how PM's are chosen. You just don't seem to understand that a duly elected government was thrown out (analogous to a Parliment voting no confidence of a sitting PM) which require disolving Parliment and holding a national referendum. Somehow it appears that to you stating the obvious is helpful.

Please tell me of any other case than a coup where a duly elected sitting goverment is removed.

Exactly . Agree 100%.

A court dissolves an entire party , the one in power mind you .

(Well it could have been the army arresting all the MPs same philosophy)

Then the opposition can take over , no general election .

Surrealist :):D:D

It's surreal for sure.

Now let's try reality. Please tell me of any other real example case than a coup where a duly elected sitting goverment is removed.

<br />So what will be the difference?? The state of emergency was declared under really elected governments too. Soldiers did nothing. Anupong does not have the stomach to act now either. He has learned his lesson. He will not become the pawn in Suthep's and his bellboy Abhisit's game.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Unfortunately you are right. It's sad that military leaders can do as they please as this weakens the position of the PM. Without law and order Thailand will always be a "Third World Country". If people break the law they should be arrested and jailed. I think there should also be further charges against Thaksin for inciting violent activity in Thailand. He has been doing this for at least a year now

Me, I'm 63 years old so my "future" in Thailand is somewhat limited. But my wife and 3 children are Thai, and I care about their future in this country. I don't want it determined by demagogues of any persuasion, and the reds' leaders are a clear and present danger to rational, benevolent, and progressive governance.

Thank you for that very credible testimony. Of course, I agree with your conclusion. A Thaksin red shirt dictatorship would be a disaster for Thailand and a huge step backwards. Thailand is running out of time to compete in the modern world. It really can't afford any more delays imposed by Thaksin and the insurgent red leaders.

Well that make 3 of us that think more of our Thai families than we do about our western superiority to tell Thai's what they must do in their own country

If ISA failed, why will a state of emergency succeed?

Yeah.

I was thinking that.

The impasse continues and just gets bigger.

An election, no matter how farcical, might clear the air and allow the political re-alignments necessary to start moving on.

Like this, just seems we get deeper and deeper into the mud.

ph

Election will be no solution. It will only encourage the next loosers in the new elections to do the same and claim the dissolution of the government for calling new elections.

Fully agreed!

Thailand has a population of about 62 Mill. people. Only a minority is protesting. What does the majority want??? Should they be ignored because they do not go out on the street???

The Hold a free and fair election and see whoi is the minority that all they are asking for but we know the yellows will LOSE bigtime and its will be the yellows shirst time to hijack the airport again

I am an Aussie who subscribes to Thai Visa. I have been following this since it started, mostly on the "news only" topics. I am about to book flights from KL to Chiang Mai, Phuket and Krabi for May.

Do I book or not?? at the moment my only financial commitment to Thailand is $200, that will increase to $2000 if I book.Now a State of Emergency has been declared that voids travel insurance.

My sister is coming in May too - her first overseas holiday - there are 18 in her group.

No problem, Thais people, Red or yellow shirts, are very polite and civilised- except when they discuss between themselves-.

But due to the exagerate fear of some Foreigners the price of your ticket may drop tomorrow? maybe...

Edited by Jerrytheyoung

Thaksin Shinawatra has no interest in anything other than recouping his stolen money

I agree with you the current goverment stole his money and he wants it back, cant argue with the guy

And with that comment I'll take it that the gentleman in the avatar is the one posting :)

You need to read the news more closely. The state of emergency only applies to Bangkok and surrounding provinces, and there has been virtually no problems in other places. Chiangmai, Phuket and Krabi are nt affected at all.

Do you have balls ?

It is likely that you will see very little (if any) impact on your plans.

If YOU have doubts, save your money.

Depends where your going for your insurance to be void, more places in Thailand that are better than Bangkok to holiday. I've been here 9 years, and many others on this forum have been here longer. And we are all still alive and enjoying ourselves on a daily basis. Don't let news and politics scare you away from your holidays.

You will still enjoy yourself, just don't switch the box on or buy a newspaper whilst ere, that way you will never know what is happining in the noise zone, so you will enjoy your holiday better.