Check Valves

Check valves/ none return valves

How many of you guys have check valves fitted to your borehole water pipes, I don’t! When the pump stops I can hear the water rushing back down to the pump, at first I thought this was correct, IE to flush the pump out.

But after reading the Franklin site they recommend at least 2 check valves to be fitted (some pumps have internal check valves)

So are they really needed, or is it just that Thai well drillers can save a few Baht by not fitting them.

The website below has some interesting reading

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/showthread...le-check-valves

Franklin_sub_pumps.pdf

If your pump setup works without a foot valve then don't bother to change,

because it is a source of friction loss

The purpose of a foot valve is to hold water in the pump,

so that it doesn't have to be primed for each use.

In the link provided, it shows several check valves in the column,

but the comment below it is accurate,

There are two kinds of check valves,

those that leak

those that will leak in the future

It's also true that every check valve is an obstruction to flow

Use them only where necessary.

For my irrigation pumps pulling from river and fish pond,

I use 4" flapper type check valves,

meant to stop large flow loss while I prime the line from another source.

I don't depend on them for watertight control,

because I know the slightest debris causes a leak.

I use three check valves on each intake point,

so that the flow rate through each of the three is minimal,

reducing the friction loss through each.

To positively stop backflow, I use a 4" ball valve on the pump outlet.

a word of caution:

among people who work in shops which sell/service pumps in Thailand, the word 'check valve' is understood. It's a 'tap sap' (word taken from English) and pronounced 'chek wow'

However, if you're talking with a bar girl, and you say the same word, she might think you're saying 'jack off.' So what's the moral of this story? Use caution when talking pump mechanics (or physiological hydrology) with a bar girl. Disregard this advice if no one within earshot is easily embarrassed - or if either one is bare-assed, then it's already too late.

:D:D

It seems the terminology for pumps/valves etc is basically the same when applied to sexual intercourse.

In fact terms like "male" & "female" threads can raise the eyebrows when children ask "why is it so?"

In a similar fashion the general terms "a loose fit" and "a tight fit" can be used in the bar as well as on the job.

err.. I mean at work .. I think you know what I mean .. :)

Seriously though, my bore was not fitted with a chek wow so when the pump was switched off, a large amount of water

drained back down the borehole (about 80 Metres)

Firstly that is a horrible waste of energy, since you have to pump the water up again.

Secondly, when that water was rushing back down into the ground it stirred up all the mud and debri at the bottom.

The next time I switched on the pump, I got a load of very muddy water in the tank.

After fitting the stop valve, we've had cleaner water.

You were right about 2 types of check valve.

I purchased a good quality valve from an Australian manufacturer to use on my pool pump intake.

It worked better than the Thai flap valve (at first) but started leaking when debri got in there.

a word of caution:

among people who work in shops which sell/service pumps in Thailand, the word 'check valve' is understood. It's a 'tap sap' (word taken from English) and pronounced 'chek wow'

However, if you're talking with a bar girl, and you say the same word, she might think you're saying 'jack off.' So what's the moral of this story? Use caution when talking pump mechanics (or physiological hydrology) with a bar girl. Disregard this advice if no one within earshot is easily embarrassed - or if either one is bare-assed, then it's already too late.

:):D:D ...ok, just some minor correction Check valve is "Chek Vow" and the latter is "Chark Wow" meaning going through the motion of "Jerking (the string of) Kite"(Yes! Kite) Thai will understand it straight away as jerking off if mention with a lushful look. :D

What began as a question about a water well was hijacked to street vulgarities.

This forum is read in places other than bars.

Shall we perpetuate the stereotype of Foreigners in Thailand?

Is there a way a thread can be cleaned up after it's posted?

Or are we stuck with a permanent publicly viewed record?

I'd like to point out to the unfortunate readers to follow,

my post is on topic.