Songkran In Hua Hin

Gluestick

I'm going to be in Hua Hin for Songkran, near the night market. What is going on in Hua Hin for Songkran? Is it still happening? In BKK, they just canceled the celebration at Silom. Any tips/advice for Hua Hin during Songkran? Thanks.

It's a very civilised place for Songkarn, which sounds like it might not be to your taste!

Water throwing goes on for one big day (2 max) and, in the town centre, is mostly confined to the soi Bintan beer bar area. Then it magically goes away.

If you like water, go to Pattaya. The pra_ts do it for a week.

Sorry have no info beyond that experience.

What about Ch-Am, all the Thai tourists there surely it is pretty big along the beach front? We are in HH for Songkran and I was planning to head down to Cha-Am for a few hours of water action then return to the hopefully more sedate HH.

more sedate HH

I've never experienced Songkran anywhere else other than Hua Hin (so it may be better/worse other places) but I would not call it sedate here.... massive water wars for two days.... there will be water stations along the main road every few blocks with barrels of water throwing water (and white powder) at basically anything that goes by as well as roving pickups with barrels of water and water throwing armies in the back. What's fun to watch is when one of the pickups pulls up at one of the stationary side of the road groups and they have a massive war with each other!

After experiencing it once, I usually now just stay indoors and make sure I have a fridge full of beer and plenty of movies to watch on video...

As above I've only experienced Songkran in HH, so I can't compare to other places, but I would definitely not call it boring or dull. There's a big parade going on with big floats from various companies/institutions, great fun with loads of party bands walking along so cheerful music to go with the parade. After the parade comes all the pickups with happy wet people throwing water. I must say that I love this time, and no way do I stay indoor at home to miss out on this, but I'm probably also younger than most people on here :)

I don't know the entire route of this parade, the last years I've been at soi 55 (Chomsin rd.) and it's come down that soi from Petchkasem Road, I would imagine that at the fishing piers it turns right and goes up past Hilton, but not sure if the floats actually fit in those narrow streets.

As above I've only experienced Songkran in HH, so I can't compare to other places, but I would definitely not call it boring or dull. There's a big parade going on with big floats from various companies/institutions, great fun with loads of party bands walking along so cheerful music to go with the parade. After the parade comes all the pickups with happy wet people throwing water. I must say that I love this time, and no way do I stay indoor at home to miss out on this, but I'm probably also younger than most people on here :)

I don't know the entire route of this parade, the last years I've been at soi 55 (Chomsin rd.) and it's come down that soi from Petchkasem Road, I would imagine that at the fishing piers it turns right and goes up past Hilton, but not sure if the floats actually fit in those narrow streets.

:D you are right and I guess it isn't question of age (I am past 60) but if some are conservative and can't enjoy life. I have seen Songkran in Chiang Mai 2 times, 1 time in Bangkok and 1 time in Pattaye. This will be my third time in Hua Hin and all what I like here, people are happy and the war of water is moderate, nothing in violance or primitiv. Hua Hin have culture !!!

• 2 weeks later...