Samui Expats Club

Big C, after reading a few of your posts the last couple of weeks months, it would make more sense to add you profile pic as this

borat_cannes_2.jpg

would make your posts more easier to understand , esp when you add in the accent :D

cheers :)

Please don't quote me on this, but the answer appears to be yes. I understand the fine line dividing raising money for charity and working without a permit may have been confused sadly.

We should get a petition together and send it to the mayor. After I mentioned this in the pub this evening people were indifferent.

Especially as none of them had ever heard of the club. What was its purpose koheesti?

Please don't quote me on this, but the answer appears to be yes. I understand the fine line dividing raising money for charity and working without a permit may have been confused sadly.

We should get a petition together and send it to the mayor. After I mentioned this in the pub this evening people were indifferent.

Especially as none of them had ever heard of the club. What was its purpose koheesti?

if it is true that they were in business w/o work permit, raising money for any reason and paying out admin fees i am surprised it took so long for them to be done in. what percentage of funds collected went to charity? :)

Big C, after reading a few of your posts the last couple of weeks months, it would make more sense to add you profile pic as this

borat_cannes_2.jpg

would make your posts more easier to understand , esp when you add in the accent :D

cheers :)

one word well 2 words Niki Beach

well I can't say i'm not suprised, I did happen to go the january 2009 get together I hate to say it but if you like the fake atmosphere, pretending to socialize and wasting 1,000 baht or more on buffet food at six senses or other places, then this place was perfect for you. The only 2 people I did talk with was Dee Dee from nori india and the former farang manager from makro. Both where easy going and down to earth people I felt I could actually talk to. I meet one GM Foreigner of a hotel and he had been here for many years and he only had constant complaints about thai people and society. Overall I went once and never again

well I can't say i'm not suprised, I did happen to go the january 2009 get together I hate to say it but if you like the fake atmosphere, pretending to socialize and wasting 1,000 baht or more on buffet food at six senses or other places, then this place was perfect for you. The only 2 people I did talk with was Dee Dee from nori india and the former farang manager from makro. Both where easy going and down to earth people I felt I could actually talk to. I meet one GM Foreigner of a hotel and he had been here for many years and he only had constant complaints about thai people and society. Overall I went once and never again

so why dont we set up the ' ThaiVisa ' Expat club of Koh Samui ? ......

I am always up for a social gathering - and it might be fun to put names to faces on here - but to be honest I am not prepared to organise something voluntarily only to run the risk of deportation. :) My guess is it would all have to be kept very low key and informal not involve charity work or money.

Which is a shame as I understand that the club did a lot of good work for charity and raised a lot of money.

I am always up for a social gathering - and it might be fun to put names to faces on here - but to be honest I am not prepared to organise something voluntarily only to run the risk of deportation. :D My guess is it would all have to be kept very low key and informal not involve charity work or money.

Which is a shame as I understand that the club did a lot of good work for charity and raised a lot of money.

As I recall the last time a Samui Thai Visa get-together was attempted members couldn't even agree a venue let alone anything else. Some decent ideas were put forward but for some reason it all fell apart

Sounds like a decent idea to do something locally ourselves. :)

Edited by smokie36

I guess it was pretty much a social club that met the first Friday of the month at different resorts or restaurants. There was a membership fee of 500 baht a year and each event cost close to the same (little higher for non members). Around 40-60 people turned up each time I was there. Some events had free food and drinks. Since the events were big PR events for the venue I'm not sure how much if anything they took from the club. Charity events that I witnessed were raffles. Buy tickets for 100 baht each for a chance to win donated prizes (dinners, free stays at resorts, etc). It was a nice change from my usual nights at the pub, playing pool or going to Soi Reggae and I met some really good people there. It's a shame to see it go. Just one less thing to do around the island and one less source of charity money for some needy kids.

I guess it was pretty much a social club that met the first Friday of the month at different resorts or restaurants. There was a membership fee of 500 baht a year and each event cost close to the same (little higher for non members). Around 40-60 people turned up each time I was there. Some events had free food and drinks. Since the events were big PR events for the venue I'm not sure how much if anything they took from the club. Charity events that I witnessed were raffles. Buy tickets for 100 baht each for a chance to win donated prizes (dinners, free stays at resorts, etc). It was a nice change from my usual nights at the pub, playing pool or going to Soi Reggae and I met some really good people there. It's a shame to see it go. Just one less thing to do around the island and one less source of charity money for some needy kids.

If the idea was to help bright kids from poorer backgrounds achieve a better education then the authorities have made a mistake imo. :D

Still like to hear a more definitive answer on why it has gone though. :)

Edited by smokie36

Big C, you are getting a special pass & posting rights to the trash can site, where you will find most of your posts. :)

most probably. in my case a dictionary is probably what i don't need. maybe if people really understood my post i might be in proper trouble :D

As I recall the last time a Samui Thai Visa get-together was attempted members couldn't even agree a venue let alone anything else. Some decent ideas were put forward but for some reason it all fell apart

Sounds like a decent idea to do something locally ourselves. :)

Smokie, you have been elected. Tell us the date.

Ok accepted. I will let you all know the details in the next couple of weeks. :)

True, I suggested to ask one of the TV members who runs a restaurant , for example BBC , Im sure they will come up with a good deal.

If you can arrange between Apr. 28th to May 8th. I will be there for sure !!!!!!

Ok accepted. I will let you all know the details in the next couple of weeks. :)

True, I suggested to ask one of the TV members who runs a restaurant , for example BBC , Im sure they will come up with a good deal.

If you can arrange between Apr. 28th to May 8th. I will be there for sure !!!!!!

After the debacle of last summer trying to organize a party I suggest getting a local place to just have drink specials or BBQ for TV members and let everyone know about it via the forum. If they want to come or not it's up to them. Do not try to over organize the thing. That's what killed it last year. Just get the first one under the belt, hopefully it will build interest, you'll learn something that will help make planning the second one bigger and better.

After the debacle of last summer trying to organize a party I suggest getting a local place to just have drink specials or BBQ for TV members and let everyone know about it via the forum. If they want to come or not it's up to them. Do not try to over organize the thing. That's what killed it last year. Just get the first one under the belt, hopefully it will build interest, you'll learn something that will help make planning the second one bigger and better.

Don't worry koheesti I remember. :)

It sounds like a good plan, but outside a small circle of expats I know most experiences have been negative. How do you qualify people as acceptable for an open space meeting?

For example,

[snip] - decided not to incriminate people - and yes i like a beer and can be a ### sometimes but some people dot dot ...

Edited by mattcodes