Is It Safe To Spectate?

ThanonFarang

Thanonfarang

I was there (by sheer coincidence) last Saturday when they were starting to collect in Rajchaprasong

while the mood was all friendly and jovial, and they didnt object to me taking photos (even had one rush ahead of me to turn round to take a pic of me) - but I wouldnt say it is completely safe. even without any fight erupting with authorities - there is no gaurantee that a simple panic by the crowd would not result in complete chaos. its a HUGE crowd, and when panic strikes, people will be running to get away, not taking heed of who or what is in their way

and with today's developments of shots being fired at PhanFa, soon Rajchaprasong could turn nasty too

stay safe. be wise. stay out of it would be my suggestion.

cheers

At last a sensible reply from someone else who has actually been there.

Agree, its a HUGE crowd, contrary to what some would have you believe.

Also agree its not that its unsafe, its more what could happen if there was a stampede or mass panic.

No different to being at a football match and probably a lot safer than being in some nightclub.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were really willing to go, we would not be having this debate now would we?

By the time we finish this debate the action would be over. Go now before its too late.

What kind of camera do you have, Big telescopic lenses? make sure when you point it at someone they dont think its a gun. Also carry water, it'll help with the gas...I know, ive been gassed before, plus in the event you need to scramble around alot, you will get dehydrated. Add the heat and gas...you will start feeling light headed and nauseaus, so water is important.

Oh and as to your def of what a sissy is, some of us have been through it.

Edited by mmushr00m

This guy is a troll.... See below the topic he started in the middle of last night .....

Check his profile, you'll see by yourself!

Warning: Songkran

Feel free to move this to the new section:

From a well placed source in the Thai Government I have learned that there is expected to be an increase in sexual activity over the Songkran holiday. This will particularly apply to young female University students and office workers. Those not wishing to engage in sexual activity should stay in there homes, especially males. It is rumored there may be a link between increased alcohol consumption and the spike in sexual activity, but thus far the link cannot be verified. Nonetheless the government wants us all on notice. Personally i will be staying in a monestary outside of Chiang Rai until the danger has passed. If you don't heed this warning and find yourself overwhelmed with opportunities to engage in sexual activity, som nom na!

if you are an aspiring photographer and are hoping to get a big break through taking pictures. i thought that the whole idea was to capture an image that no-one else could get. think outside the box, so to speak. try and find another angle on these events that are taking place. why go for something that anyone can get? wait and bide your time, try and capture an image that is not the norm.

This guy is a troll.... See below the topic he started in the middle of last night .....

From a well placed source in the Thai Government I have learned that there is expected to be an increase in sexual activity over the Songkran holiday. This will particularly apply to young female University students and office workers. Those not wishing to engage in sexual activity should stay in there homes, especially males. It is rumored there may be a link between increased alcohol consumption and the spike in sexual activity, but thus far the link cannot be verified. Nonetheless the government wants us all on notice. Personally i will be staying in a monestary outside of Chiang Rai until the danger has passed. If you don't heed this warning and find yourself overwhelmed with opportunities to engage in sexual activity, som nom na!

Some of my finest work. Was attempting to bring some humor to the situation.

I don't know what the definition of a troll is around here but I posted to get information. Based upon that advice I am now going. I will (god willing) be back later with some pics.

Those who gave me informed replies, thanks.

if you are an aspiring photographer and are hoping to get a big break through taking pictures. i thought that the whole idea was to capture an image that no-one else could get. think outside the box, so to speak. try and find another angle on these events that are taking place. why go for something that anyone can get? wait and bide your time, try and capture an image that is not the norm.

Very well put and one of the first things I learned. When taking pictures of something notable, most people take the same few shots. I was taught to identify and skip those and dig deeper. The subject, though, is the same. I am just photographing it in a different way.

For instance a great shot here may be a mother and child or one protester being tear gassed etc. Not photos of the mob.

Some of my finest work. Was attempting to bring some humor to the situation.

I don't know what the definition of a troll is around here but I posted to get information. Based upon that advice I am now going. I will (god willing) be back later with some pics.

Those who gave me informed replies, thanks.

Lame !

We cautiously walked from Longsuan to the epicenter at CentralWorld and now passing it. If you told me Thailand had just won the World Cup and this was the celebration I'd believe you.

Best way to sum up the utter lack of any kind of danger: the streets are lined with food and other vendors...

Was pretty crazy and a bit scary to see Red Shirt checkpoints from Sukhumvit Soi 3 all the way down though. They rule this whole massive area. No police, no army, no nothing - just Red Shirts.

Edited by ThanonFarang

Don’t worry it is safe. I don’t see any police or army, all I hear they will do this and that. But they are totally incompetent and really unable to do anything that will resemble of doing their duty to enforce the law.

They rule this whole massive area. No police, no army, no nothing - just Red Shirts.

that may be so, but depending on outcome at Phan Fah, no one knows what the government's next move will be or how the crowd there will react.

stay safe

They rule this whole massive area. No police, no army, no nothing - just Red Shirts.

that may be so, but depending on outcome at Phan Fah, no one knows what the government's next move will be or how the crowd there will react.

stay safe

Hmmmm less than 2 hours including travel time? and he walked it? *cough*

stay safe

Hmmmm less than 2 hours including travel time? and he walked it? *cough*

Under normal circumstances I could get from my condo to Longsuan in a taxi in less than ten minutes. I could then walk from there to MBK in less than 45. Another 15 back to my condo in a taxi. Add 45 for taking pictures, eating street food and traffic and ya, that is what happened.

Is this forum full of chronic liars or something? Why on earth would somebody lie about something like this. You people are silly...

i was there 2day had no prolblems the red shirts seem to really like seeing farangs there an as for the police as long as u out there way u can spectate to your hearts content

I did not get the feeling they liked seeing us there. I got a few weird looks, a couple encouraging words and glances as well but overall they were mostly indifferent to our presence and when they did have some obvious feeling about it, I got a sense that feeling was negative. Though nobody was hostile in any way.

What is with the trolls. If you don't like my thread, don't read it.

you are wrong, that is not YOUR thread that is everyone's thread (Internet, what's that about?)

and: all the photos shown yet are so biased for this or that faction, not objective at all, because in such a situation it can't be objective and therefor propaganda in one way or an other....but maybe I am wrong and you have the answer to that