What About A Classical List

I'm into a fair few you mentioned their lampshade (sorry, gotta use he great nickname for you!) :D , Small faces were a great band, Marriot (spel?) had a great voice, didn't he die in a fire? the kinks one of my faves for the 60s.

nobody mentioned the thin white duke yet or bob dylan?

I think someone mentioned the other day in here that your favourite music is always from when you were 20 to 30 yrs old or something like that, seems it makes sense in your case, Im not past 30 yet so still a few new bands to get in! :o

Edited by bkkmadness

I'm into a fair few you mentioned their lampshade (sorry, gotta use he great nickname for you!) :D , Small faces were a great band, Marriot (spel?) had a great voice, didn't he die in a fire?    the kinks one of my faves for the 60s.

nobody mentioned the thin white duke yet or bob dylan?

I think someone mentioned the other day in here that your favourite music is always from when you were 20 to 30 yrs old or something like that, seems it makes sense in your case, Im not past 30 yet so still a few new bands to get in! :D

No;I don't mind lampshade. It covers up how bright I really am. :o

I missed loads though. Bob Dylan,Simon & Garfunkal,Procul Harem, Fleetwood Mac

ZZTop,Man,Shadows,Tornadoes, you can go on and on. But not being funny, If you're under thirty, then you show a remarkable wisdom for one so young. Of course today you have the Britney Spears and the Maria Careys,but for me the best female vocalist I have ever heard was Jerney Kargman from The Dutch group Earth & Fire. BTW if your under thirty then I don't mind you calling me Grandpa.

How about '<deleted>' in the Riggin' by the Sex Pistols? Now that's a clasic! :o

Oh Dear............someone who hasn't heard of Tangerine Dream! Although by his comments and avtar it's probably Mozart and Beethoven he hasn't heard of.

Where did I say I hadn't heard of Tangerine Dream? Spose they were okish in their day. Has he ever heard of tongue in cheek? although going by his avatar and his love for middle of the road has beens, perhaps it's real classics he hasn't heard of?

How about '<deleted>' in the Riggin' by the Sex Pistols? Now that's a clasic! :o

Oh Dear............someone who hasn't heard of Tangerine Dream! Although by his comments and avtar it's probably Mozart and Beethoven he hasn't heard of.

Where did I say I hadn't heard of Tangerine Dream? Spose they were okish in their day. Has he ever heard of tongue in cheek? although going by his avatar and his love for middle of the road has beens, perhaps it's real classics he hasn't heard of?

Actually not meaning to start a slanging match jackrabbit, but I thought my response was rather more tongue-in-cheek than your original comment. But lets leave sleeping dogs lie.

Actually not meaning to start a slanging match jackrabbit, but I thought my response was rather more tongue-in-cheek than your original comment. But lets leave sleeping dogs lie.

Sounds good to me :D

I did overreact on that one a bit I must admit - late night and screaming babies doesn't help one's tolerance - but I can't have anyone havin' a go at ol' Brucey :D The little quip was in direct response to the OP (should've quoted him) and wasn't meant to belittle TD.

Edited by jackr

Nice thread but seems to have gone way off topic. What an amazing store of creative genius we have at our fingertips from those who have passed on. And I don’t just mean classical, Hendrix and Coltrane are still with us too, not to mention other art forms.

A classical top 10 is difficult because some pieces are epic and some are short. I try to choose on a kind of “pound for pound” basis like comparing boxers. This is mine, although it might change day-by-day to include some of the great stuff already posted.

Beethoven symphony no. 5

Elgar Introduction and allegro

Elgar Enigma variations

Sibelius violin concerto

Beethoven symphony no. 9

Grieg Wedding day at Troldhaugen

Bruch violin concerto no 1

Dvorak symphony no 9 (new world)

Sibelius symphony no. 7

Vaughan-Williams Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis

1. Rigoletto - Verdi

2. Don Giovanni - Mozart

3. Cosi Fan Tutte - Mozart

4. Barber of Seville - Rossini

5. Magic Flute - Mozart

6. Stabat Mater - Rossini

7. Violin Concerto No. 3 - Mozart

8. Symphonies 35-41 - Mozart

9. Sinfonia Concertanti - Mozart

10. Tosca - Puccini

11. Clarinet Concerto - Mozart

12. The Four Seasons - Vivaldi

13. La Boheme - Puccini

14. Requiem - Mozart

15. Abduction from the Seraglio - Mozart

You know I read that listening to classical music before and exam improved the exam results of students in a study, it's meant to temporarily boost your IQ, anybody know anymore about this?

A lot of this type of stuff had its origin in the so-called Mozart Effect. A couple of researchers had a paper published about the results of a study which seemed to show that babies in the womb who heard certain pieces of Mozart music a lot would turn out happier and smarter. The two guys went on to get rich from Mozart Effect CDs (check the multitude of related products on Amazon) but other researchers couldn't duplicate their results.

Last year I think the Telegraph had an article about research suggesting that kids who listened to classical music and read good quality literature went on to be more successful and more well-adjusted adults. No surprise there, really.

I've been using it a lot to work to rather than my usual music, whats the more chilled out stuff, Beethoven seems a bit too heavy sometimes?
Most of Mozart's stuff is light and breezy.
What was the peice called that they used to use on the old Quantas adverts?

Qantas or BA? I believe BA was using the Flower Duet from Bizet's opera, The Pearl Fishers.

How soon before the exam did they listen to the music and what was played? It could have been something calming and the students scored higher because of stress/anxiety reduction. Who knows.

What are you spouting on about? Just dated ourselves?. Yes, just dated ourselves to growing up when music was music and not the rubbish you hear tody. Late sixties,early seventies was the time for MUSIC.There will never be a time again like it.

:o you are Tommy M becoming the proper Grandpa's of this forum Lampard10 :D

so whats the difference between 60s and 70s music (of which I'm a big fan) and the more modern music of today? Why was music then, really music?

There's still been great guitar bands after that time right? and we have had the hip hop culture in the 80s and 90s that produced a new wave of music. An what about the rave culture music?

Surely your opinion is biased by when you was out and about listening to tunes and dancing the funky chicken?

I think there is a lot of merit to music after that period of time myself, and as I say I'm a great fan of the 60s/70s, I love the the kinks, beatles, rolling stones, doors, janis joplin, the jam, the who, the velevet underground etc. but also get just as much buzz listening to beasties boys 1989 'pauls boutique' album.

Of course I'm biased, I'm an old fart. I was brought up with that music. Great music. Brilliant music. I can't say there were very many groups since then I have liked. The Pogues,Genesis,Yes,The Pet Shop Boys,Queen,A-HA,Duran Duran(maybe) I can't reaRlly name any more that I remotely liked. but the early years;

MoodyBlues,Kinks,Swinging Blue Jeans,Dave Clark 5,Beatles,Gerry and the Pacmakers,Small Faces,John Mayells Bluesbreakers,Alice Cooper, Hawkwind, Manfred Mann,Merseybeats,Barclay James Harvest,Uriah Heep, Nice, Colloseum, Creedence Clearwater Revival,Jefferson Airplane,Led Zeppelin,Focus,Earth and Fire,Rennaissance,Strawbs,Fairport Convention,Egdar Broughton Band,The Band, Rolling Stones,Animals,Mathews Southern Comfort, Yardbirds, Move, Troggs, Them, Bad Finger,Pink Floyd,.There's about 1/10 th of them. The list goes on and on..

The Strawbs? You jest.

What are you spouting on about? Just dated ourselves?. Yes, just dated ourselves to growing up when music was music and not the rubbish you hear tody. Late sixties,early seventies was the time for MUSIC.There will never be a time again like it.

:o you are Tommy M becoming the proper Grandpa's of this forum Lampard10 :D

so whats the difference between 60s and 70s music (of which I'm a big fan) and the more modern music of today? Why was music then, really music?

There's still been great guitar bands after that time right? and we have had the hip hop culture in the 80s and 90s that produced a new wave of music. An what about the rave culture music?

Surely your opinion is biased by when you was out and about listening to tunes and dancing the funky chicken?

I think there is a lot of merit to music after that period of time myself, and as I say I'm a great fan of the 60s/70s, I love the the kinks, beatles, rolling stones, doors, janis joplin, the jam, the who, the velevet underground etc. but also get just as much buzz listening to beasties boys 1989 'pauls boutique' album.

Of course I'm biased, I'm an old fart. I was brought up with that music. Great music. Brilliant music. I can't say there were very many groups since then I have liked. The Pogues,Genesis,Yes,The Pet Shop Boys,Queen,A-HA,Duran Duran(maybe) I can't reaRlly name any more that I remotely liked. but the early years;

MoodyBlues,Kinks,Swinging Blue Jeans,Dave Clark 5,Beatles,Gerry and the Pacmakers,Small Faces,John Mayells Bluesbreakers,Alice Cooper, Hawkwind, Manfred Mann,Merseybeats,Barclay James Harvest,Uriah Heep, Nice, Colloseum, Creedence Clearwater Revival,Jefferson Airplane,Led Zeppelin,Focus,Earth and Fire,Rennaissance,Strawbs,Fairport Convention,Egdar Broughton Band,The Band, Rolling Stones,Animals,Mathews Southern Comfort, Yardbirds, Move, Troggs, Them, Bad Finger,Pink Floyd,.There's about 1/10 th of them. The list goes on and on..

The Strawbs? You jest.

The Strawbs were great just before Sandy Denny died. Then of course they merged with Fairport Convention.

The Strawbs? You jest.

The Strawbs were great just before Sandy Denny died. Then of course they merged with Fairport Convention.

My apologies - you're quite right. I equated The Strawbs with "I've got a brand new combine harvester" rather than with Sandy Denny, Rick Wakeman etc. Having googled, and learned something, I remember why I have two ears and only one mouth. Mea culpa.

My apologies - you're quite right. I equated The Strawbs with "I've got a brand new combine harvester" rather than with Sandy Denny, Rick Wakeman etc. Having googled, and learned something, I remember why I have two ears and only one mouth. Mea culpa.

"I've got a brand new combine harvester"

Now there's a classic.

A classic peice of sh*t, but a classic nevertheless.

Edited by Thomas_Merton