Car Restoration

I am thinking about buying myself on old exotic car to transform, an example would be a Porsche 911.

Does anyone know where/if any at all this sort of car would be available?

I would look at rebuilding the vehicle over the course of a couple of years as a Sunday hobby as it seems the only bloke hobbies I have here is drinking beer, moderating TV and hitting a golf ball.

I know it could be an expensive hobby, thats why I want to do it over the course of a few years, with a starting cost of the vehicle at about 1 million baht.

What are your thoughts guys?

Any information available at all?

I am just dreaming? :o

I am thinking about buying myself on old exotic car to transform, an example would be a Porsche 911.

Does anyone know where/if any at all this sort of car would be available?

I would look at rebuilding the vehicle over the course of a couple of years as a Sunday hobby as it seems the only bloke hobbies I have here is drinking beer, moderating TV and hitting a golf ball.

I know it could be an expensive hobby, thats why I want to do it over the course of a few years, with a starting cost of the vehicle at about 1 million baht.

What are your thoughts guys?

Any information available at all?

I am just dreaming?  :o

OK, today I'll be the paranoid:

Oh my, oh my.....you can't do that without a work permit! Shame. Shame.

Also I think I heard of some wat that does restoration work on classic cars..and then keeps them in a sort of a collection....you might want to check out what they're doing.

Also I think I heard of some wat that does restoration work on classic cars..and then keeps them in a sort of a collection....you might want to check out what they're doing.

I think I read about them in Wat Car? magazine :o:D

I am thinking about buying myself on old exotic car to transform

I have changes what I was going to say, I think with the reasonable bodywork and spraypainting you get in Thaiand and the Motor trimming, I would be looking at something is bad body shape that may need a bare-metal respray, that you can buy extra cheap off-shore and have the hard work done here.

There is a really beautiful 1963 T-Bird you see occasionally in Bangkok, and its clear the ower has put alot of work into it.

Good Luck.

There is a a Porsche owners club in bangkok and they have a website, you might want to google...something along the lines of club 911 Thailand. It is a great idea, but Porsche might cost a little more then lets say an old Mercedes or Alfa Romeo....Anyhow the 928 models are highly overlooked here and in Europe, but they pack 300 hp and the S4 is 4x4...They are really good cars, you would probably find a better deal on a 928....Show us a pic of what you got...good luck... :o

I'm still working on getting parts for my 1986 900 Kawasaki Eliminator but it will all be worth it when she's finished. The parts are easy to find but a pain in the butt to get into Thailand. I have to thank a few of the members on TV for helping me to get the parts here. Without their help it would be costing me more than the 2 arms and a leg I've spent so far. Thank you to them. I also have to thank my friend in Hawaii for bringing in some tools that don't break first use and didn't cost a bundle to buy. Sourcing people to do some work as far as chroming and sandblasting isn't easy either but getting closer with that also.

Have fun Tukyleith

I was driving on the outskirts of BKK a few months ago, when a car "tent" caught my eye.

I pulled in, to found myself in "classic car heaven"

There were cars in various states of repair/disrepair, ranging from ruins to minters.

Some of the stuff was unbelievable, cars I have not seen for years, such as Hillman Imp, Rover SD1, Fiat 500.

Also 1950's Buick, Jaguar XJS, loads of classic Mercedes (W108, W116), 1960's Merc SL, Triumph Spitfire, and loads of other vintage stuff, dating back to the 1930's.

The prices weren't too bad, the XJS (V12) was a beauty, fully restored and they were asking 600,000. Some nice late 60's Mercedes for under 300,000.

I think I have a business card somewhere if anyone is interested to visit, it really was amazing. Apparantely, all the cars are for sale, but they are also rented out on a daily basis to film/tv companies for 10,000 baht a day.

There is also a place on Sukhumvit around soi 103 called "Toy Car", he buys cars from the auction Thetyim mentions above. He has some lovely cars, couple of Porsche 928's, 911's, lovely red Ferrari 348 (4.6 million), as well as a Morgan (2.5 mil), and a Westfield V8 (1.5 mil).

Cheers,

INTJ

Actually tukyleith, in Sri Ratcha on Sukhumvit Rd there is an old garage with quite a few old dust covered vehicles inside... I haven't seen a Porche in there but there are others that may be for sale.

Perhaps get your other half to make enquiries... if they know a falung is interested the price will rise... :o

"in Sri Ratcha on Sukhumvit Rd there is an old garage with quite a few old dust covered vehicles inside"

I think I have seen that place, although I seem to recall there being only a few rotting American cars there.

Cheers,

INTJ

I think I have seen that place, although I seem to recall there being only a few rotting American cars there.

Some Aussi ones too... there's at least one old HQ Holden shell that I recognised under at least an inch of dust and debris... :o

Some Aussi ones too... there's at least one old HQ Holden shell that I recognised under at least an inch of dust and debris... :D

Not too sure how the better half would feel about a rusty old HQ in the drive, I can just hear her saying now "not the bl00dy Kingswood" :o:D

Thaicoon, I have seen pics of your car mate, love it :D

Porsche Club Thailand,

54/14 Nawamin RoadKlonkum, Buengkum

T 10240 Bangkok Thailand 

Tel.: (+66) 2734 7351 8  Fax: (+66) 2734 7359

My preference is a 911, but will now consider looking into other makes and models. However, I am out of country just now so I will have a bit more time for research.

Are there any members of the forum that have made a living out of finding these kinds of vehicles? if so PM me.

I can just hear her saying now "not the bl00dy Kingswood"  :D  :D

:D

Are there any members of the forum that have made a living out of finding these kinds of vehicles? if so PM me.

You mean as a hobby don't you, not actually as a business/for profit? :o

I can just hear her saying now "not the bl00dy Kingswood"  :D  :D

:D

You mean as a hobby don't you, not actually as a business/for profit? :o

My side is for hobby purpose only, but I was wondering if there was a broker type person around that found these sorts of cars as a job. You know me mate, actually doing something will encroach on my beer drinking time :D

There is a a Porsche owners club in bangkok and they have a website, you might want to google...something along the lines of club 911 Thailand. It is a great idea, but Porsche might cost a little more then lets say an old Mercedes or Alfa Romeo....Anyhow the 928 models are highly overlooked here and in Europe, but they pack 300 hp and the S4 is 4x4...They are really good cars, you would probably find a better deal on a 928....Show us a pic of what you got...good luck... :o

Do you know if there is a Mercedes owners club in BKK?

Tuky,

You are not dreaming.

I know where there is a 928 going with a reserve of 130k

Auction is on Thursday.  I have a picture  if you want it.

Where's the auction? - and do they take credit cards, or would I actually have to go with cash in hand?

Mike,

www.biddingonandoffline.com

then click on customs, then "category," on the left side menu, I think its second from the bottom.

It takes a long time to load, but its worth the wait. These cars are impounded by Thai customs (smuggled/stolen). As I understand it, the bidding starts at the import duty figure (shown).

(credit to Thetyim for all of this information)

Cheers,

INTJ

Edited by INTJ

That is a great site, one of the best Porsche sites i have seen. i wish you had not told me about it, just seen 4 BBS Racing wheels for sale on it, hard to come by in the Uk, e-mailed the guy for a price.