Hope For The Best But Plan For The Worst

cmdream

As much as I love CM and the Thai people here we live in an unsettled country politically. If you are a foreigner it is best to notify your consulate of your address and email. I pray things do not escalate in our beloved and friendly city. No I am not Chicken Little the sky is falling ! Just do not get caught with your undies down. We can sit it out and hope it goes away. I like to think futures, what if the Reds shut down the airport, bus stations, train stations etc. Hopefully this is a bump in the road and we are a part of Thai history. Just some thoughts to share. Happy Songkran.

I'm most definitely going to celebrate Songkran starting Monday. ( And it's none of my embassies business where I live. :) )

It's sad what's happening right now, but that too is the country we live in. :D

I respect your need for animosity, I feel the same. There are visitors who may have concerns about their safety. Especially if they are traveling with children.

cmdream,

I admire your concern for this country. Now at 1.07 am on Sunday, in my humble opinion, the end of the conflict is near. To my surprise, one protesters' leader expressed regret and called for truce as well (the army called for truce at approx. 10 pm Sat.). The death toll is now at 15. There is currently disagreement among the leaders, but Nuttawoot's regret indicates that the death of their 11 followers must have shocked him. Among Thais, there is an adage that one does not come to senses until there is a loss of life.

I hope also for my own sake, my optimism is correct.

not enough yellow supporters that would dare to cause trouble I would imagine...

I'd posit not enough of either side that'd be willing to bring about civil war. Most of the 60-odd million Thais just want to get on with life. Defo worth having a plan B though, op; but don't reckon it'll become so bad that the average beer-swilling farang would have to run back to their nanny state.

Irene, Hope you are correct that the end is near. Both sides have had a few hours to contemplate the results of their decisions which resulted in death and injury to both sides.The die will probably be cast by lunch time today although it will be too late for the fatalities (RIP) Both sides have verbally expressed regret, now lets see if their actions promote a return to normalcy. The leadership apparently has come thru unscathed, which is usually a foregone conclusion. Maybe both sides could hold a set down at the hospital where the causalities have been taken, after a tour of the wards and the morgue. If, cooler heads prevail, and hostilities cease , just maybe, some cooler heads with a constructive thought for the welfare of individuals will take the role as spokesmen.

The 'I told you so's", the political analysts, arm chair quarterbacks, behaviorists, etc, are probably writing up their thoughts for prosperity at this moment. If real workable proposals come out of this circle jerk, history may show some positive's which could be used as reference by future disgruntled groups and individuals. If on the other hand, mob hysteria is stirred up again and street clashes continue more innocents/cannon fodder will become causalities.

you are but children in a fire. The military mind is indeed a menace. Old-fashioned futurity that sees only men fighting and dying in smoke and fire; hears nothing more civilized than a cannonade; scents nothing but the stink of battle-wounds and blood.

This morning before 8 I saw a pick-up with red flag and red shirts inside heading city hall. What's next?

Red shirts = Red khmer? I've seen too much violence and I cannot watch these red shirt leaders and there followers anymore. Don't tell me that they are not violent.

TRT = Thai Rak Thai = Thai Rak Taksin = Taksin Rak Taksin ???

Irene, Hope you are correct that the end is near. Both sides have had a few hours to contemplate the results of their decisions which resulted in death and injury to both sides.The die will probably be cast by lunch time today although it will be too late for the fatalities (RIP) Both sides have verbally expressed regret, now lets see if their actions promote a return to normalcy. The leadership apparently has come thru unscathed, which is usually a foregone conclusion. Maybe both sides could hold a set down at the hospital where the causalities have been taken, after a tour of the wards and the morgue. If, cooler heads prevail, and hostilities cease , just maybe, some cooler heads with a constructive thought for the welfare of individuals will take the role as spokesmen.

The 'I told you so's", the political analysts, arm chair quarterbacks, behaviorists, etc, are probably writing up their thoughts for prosperity at this moment. If real workable proposals come out of this circle jerk, history may show some positive's which could be used as reference by future disgruntled groups and individuals. If on the other hand, mob hysteria is stirred up again and street clashes continue more innocents/cannon fodder will become causalities.

Yes, you are right and nicely analysed. However, Abhisit's leadership is now subject to questions not because of his action but because of the third hand or soldiers' work (??) that has pushed the fatalities so high, now - 18 (RIP).

I have avoided reading or listening to the political analysts since they are so good with their book theory and extremely out of touch with the actual situation. I prefer to read the reactions in this forum which have given me a lot of fruits for thought.

I think because it is near ending because of my experience with stock index in which I keep on asking the crucial question of how low can it go lower. Similarly, this mayhem must be the worse now, can it go lower than this? If the answer is yes then I am wrong again. But one day in future, I should be right unless the country ends up like a failed state of Somalia.

cmdream,

I admire your concern for this country. Now at 1.07 am on Sunday, in my humble opinion, the end of the conflict is near. To my surprise, one protesters' leader expressed regret and called for truce as well (the army called for truce at approx. 10 pm Sat.). The death toll is now at 15. There is currently disagreement among the leaders, but Nuttawoot's regret indicates that the death of their 11 followers must have shocked him. Among Thais, there is an adage that one does not come to senses until there is a loss of life.

I hope also for my own sake, my optimism is correct.

The Red shirts should see the bad omen when their 'red' (ruby?) Buddha statue broke into pieces yesterday (morning time).

I hope at least most of them have some senses now to go back home to celebrate Songkran with thier loved ones.

• 2 weeks later...

err... does the British consulate have an email that I can use to 'notify' them of my address please?

Anyone know where the French consulate is please?

Not being a wuss of course.. just, um.. er..

curious.

Edited by whiterussian

err... does the British consulate have an email that I can use to 'notify' them of my address please?

Anyone know where the French consulate is please?

Not being a wuss of course.. just, um.. er..

curious.

France - The French Consulate, Chiang Mai

Address: 138 Charoen Prathet Road Muang Chiang Mai 50000

Tel: 0-5327-5277, 0-5328-1466 Fax: 0-5382-1039

Hope for the best but plan for the worst is ALWAYS a good idea for life... in just about everything. Leave a little in reserve for a fast getaway when things go bad. Prior planning always makes things go smoother.

I coined a saying that seems to hold true... "Things take longer than planned and cost more money than expected." Allow for it and you will do fine.