Sweedish Tourist Punched By Tuk Tuk Driver

Damaz6052

Tuk Tuks in the news for all the wrong reasons again! As four young Swedish tourists heading along Prachanuchro Rd tonight in a yellow Tuk Tuk found out tonight. A group of motorcycles came up behind and tried to pass. The driver wouldn't let them pass and swung from side to side. The Swedes become scared and banged on the side of the Tuk Tuk to stop. The bikes went past and the driver pulled over, demanded his 700b fare they gave him 100b and the young man a punch to the face for his troubles!!

It was there last night in paradise!

Oh, and as some on TV would have you believe, defend yourself from the tuk-tuk drivers punch, and YOU DESERVE 20 tuk-tuk drivers to beat the shit out of you and, if you get a few good punches in, YOU THEN ALSO DESERVE a knife in your guts resulting in possible death, and that's because it's Thailand and you have to respect tuk-tuk drivers and their criminal enterprise.

However, if it's a Ladyboy trying to pick pocket you on your walk home, it's no problem to defend yourself then, but a tuk-tuk driver, pay up or risk death.

Just don't use them, and tell everyone you know not to use them.

It is they that have bought shame upon themselves, and their industry.

700b? Where they hel_l were they going??

They were being ripped off by a fraudulently high price. The Tuk Tuk drivers do this all the time ... and more and more. I won't take them anymore. Why would I when the taxi is much cheaper, the drivers much more courteous, the air much cleaner and they're air con. For me the tuk tuk has lost it's charm.

700b? Where they hel_l were they going??

They were being ripped off by a fraudulently high price. The Tuk Tuk drivers do this all the time ... and more and more. I won't take them anymore. Why would I when the taxi is much cheaper, the drivers much more courteous, the air much cleaner and they're air con. For me the tuk tuk has lost it's charm.

Sounds like you may be in Bangkok or somewhere else outside of Phuket? The tuk tuk mafia has prohibited meteredtaxi's from picking up outside the airport. They have made clear they will not hesitate to use violence to secure thier monopoly. A "taxi" in Patong/Kata/Karon is run by the same folks with the same extortionate fares so using them is no better than using the tuk tuks (except it might have a working aircon) Most of them are not licensed by the government, but are licensed by the tuk tuk mafia which has for some time taken over the management and oversight of most of the transportation on the island. The head of this organization is the Mayor of Patong's son, and they have repeatedly shown to be well above the law. There is just too much money being made by the high fares which greases all the right palms in the Phuket government.

the big bosses in Bangkok need to recognize this is a big enough problem to do something about. With stories like these coming out every day, I'm cautiously optomistic change will come eventually.

With stories like these coming out every day, I'm cautiously optomistic change will come eventually.

I'm going to throw caution to the wind and pessimistically say that things will undoubtedly stay the same.

You sound like Melanie or Bob Dylan at Woodstock. I hate to tell you this, but they got it seriously wrong as well. This Tuk Tuk thing will eat you alive if you don't let it go.

Why take a <deleted> tuk tuk. They are all mafia controlled and create problems in other areas besides Phuket as well. Go to Bkok and take one and you'll be at every jewelry or tailor shop they get kickbacks from. What I find interesting is that the motorcycle taxis are also mafia but not nearly as extortionist as the tuk tuk drivers. Is this some type of long held tradition - "we are honorable tuk tuk drivers and we will ripoff all foreigners"?

Simply rent a motorcycle - cheaper and more fun. If you are too drunk to drive employ a lovely young female driver available at most bars and night time establishments. She may also supply a post drive massage. :)

@ MrE ,you posted (I have two unmetered taxi drivers who always give me a fair price, speak decent English and drive safely. Try them: Tawan 089 568 9978 or Jit 082 815 8454)

Were abouts are these two people work from Bangkok or Phuket? I will use them.

I'm going to throw caution to the wind and pessimistically say that things will undoubtedly stay the same.

You sound like Melanie or Bob Dylan at Woodstock. I hate to tell you this, but they got it seriously wrong as well. This Tuk Tuk thing will eat you alive if you don't let it go.

"You sound like Melanie or Bob Dylan at Woodstock. I hate to tell you this, but they got it seriously wrong as well. This Tuk Tuk thing will eat you alive if you don't let it go."

For the younger readers here, would you be so kind to explain this analogy? Tuk-Tuks as ethereal flesh eaters :D ....Please Mr Head, tell me it ain't so, 'cos I'm just gonna stay in my guesthouse and Woo-Hoo...I mean Boo Hoo, until them pesky TT's are sorted... :)

Another one of those tuk-tuk bashing threads; while we have no idea whether the story was real or just fabricated, exaggerated or simply written in a way to blame the driver.

99% of tourists never have a problem with tuk tuks on Phuket; most that do are travelling at night after a few too many drinks - not a very wise idea if you have a bit of a mouth on you.

Another one of those tuk-tuk bashing threads; while we have no idea whether the story was real or just fabricated, exaggerated or simply written in a way to blame the driver.

99% of tourists never have a problem with tuk tuks on Phuket; most that do are travelling at night after a few too many drinks - not a very wise idea if you have a bit of a mouth on you.

Two girls crying and a young man with a swollen face asking why did this happen!?! This was no fabrication just telling the facts as I saw them. I would imagine that there's a lot not being reported. If the reports are getting to Ambassador level it's hardly 1%........