What About Black Soul?

For starters:

1. Otis Redding _ Try a little tenderness.

2. Sam & Dave _ Hold on, I'm coming.

3. Sam & Dave _ When something’s wrong with my baby

4. Wilson Pickett _ In The Midnight Hour.

5. Eddie Floyd _ Knock On Wood.

6. Sam & Dave _ Soul Man.

7. Otis Redding _ I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now).

8. Aretha Franklin _ Respect.

9. Otis Redding _ I've Been Loving You Too Long (To Stop Now).

10. Wilson Picket _ Mustang Sally.

11. Arthur Conley _ Sweet Soul Music.

12. Wilson Pickett _ Land Of A 1.000 Dances.

Is Ottis that good that you listed that particular song twice? Where is Marvin Gaye, Barry White.... :o

Is Ottis that good that you listed that particular song twice? Where is Marvin Gaye, Barry White.... :D

Yes - but it was an error on my part :o

I'm trying to keep the list to ten (about), but I think Marvyn Gaye and Barry White are excellant, though I havn't included them because IMHO they are a little softer than the hard core in my list.

I'm trying to make a blue eyed soul list as well. But I cannot find anyone apart from Van Marrison that I like.

Any ideas?

the temptations, in the seventies:

Ball of Confusion

Can´t get next to you

Papa was a rolling stone ... How brilliant is that song!!

Stevie wonder early days.

Edwin Starr - War (what is it good for, etc...)

Darryl Hall and John Oates

1. Maneater

2. Family man

Paddy blue eyed soul

The Commitments..... :o

Yes, I agree, Darryl Hall and John Oates are contenders, especially their Temptations medley live from Harlem.

The Commitments, of course, for shear spunk and true commitment to the music of soul – a great movie.

Prefer 'Rich Girl' / 'She's Gone' / 'Sara Smile' by Hall & Oates.

You are all just a bunch of HONKIES!!!!!!!

JAMES BROWN

Er... Apart from a few albums back in the early days, which he keps on performing 50 years on... what`s he evr done for the progression, development, originality or the general well'being of soul... Call us all the names you like, at least we know our music a little better than by watching khrap like mtv (which does an excellent job of catering, feeding, and generally encouraging non'honkies (i`m not getting into Scampies P.C. thread here), vh1, and rocky 4.

He`s fun to listen to, for sure, but jeez, he never grew out of it.

Now, take the temptations, for example... Famous for, amongst other things, "talking `bout my girl, my girl, my girl...". Granted, a little chesy but great song... `point being, not a decade later, they were singing things like Ball of Confusion, Excellent, heavy blend of soul, with a tinge of the early days of disco, "and the band played on", or c`mon, is there really anyone who doiesn`t get shivers of joy listening to Papa was a Rolling Stone, "I said, mama, people talk about papa .... "

or how about the Undisputed Truth.. Smiling faces, sometimes...

Now we got soul

:D:D:o

JAMES BROWN

Er... Apart from a few albums back in the early days, which he keps on performing 50 years on... what`s he evr done for the progression, development, originality or the general well'being of soul... Call us all the names you like, at least we know our music a little better than by watching khrap like mtv (which does an excellent job of catering, feeding, and generally encouraging non'honkies (i`m not getting into Scampies P.C. thread here), vh1, and rocky 4.

Now, take the temptations, for example... Famous for, amongst other things, "talking `bout my girl, my girl, my girl...". Granted, a little chesy but great song... `point being, not a decade later, they were singing things like Ball of Confusion, Excellent, heavy blend of soul, with a tinge of the early days of disco, "and the band played on", or c`mon, is there really anyone who doiesn`t get shivers of joy listening to Papa was a Rolling Stone, "I said, mama, people talk about papa .... "

Now we got soul

James Brown is The God Father of Soul. Don't take my word for it go as Mick Jagger or any other R&B icon about James Brown....and then ask them about the Temptations!!! hahahahahaha

A few of the more obscure soul sounds:-

Slippin around Art Freeman

Strange Change Herb Ward

Dust my Broom Ike and Tina Turner

Baby Don't you weep Edward Hamilton.

I'm gone Eddie Parker

Stick by me Baby The Salvadores

If you ever walked out of my life Dena Barnes

A little Lovin sometimes Alexander Patten

Cause your mine The Vibrations

Just Lovin You Ruby Andrews

Any blue eyed soul list would, IMHO, have to include Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, Dusty Springfield, Evie Sands, Bobby Parris, Dean Parish (both the last 2 are Puerto Rican rather than caucasian), and possibly Paul Young.

If you get chance to watch the made for television movie of the Temptations, do so. Those guys could teach most rock groups about bad behavour. Though the movie did not touch on the acquisation that David Ruffian caused the tumor that killed Tammy Terrill by beating her about the head with a hammer.

Still ain't too proud to beg is one of my all time favourite tracks ever.

Edited by mickmac

If you get chance to watch the made for television movie of the Temptations, do so. Those guys could teach most rock groups about bad behavour. Though the movie did not touch on the acquisation that David Ruffian caused the tumor that killed Tammy Terrill by beating her about the head with a hammer.

Still  ain't too proud to beg  is one of my all time favourite tracks ever.

:o:D

Ahhh.... You make me happy.

• 4 weeks later...

JAMES BROWN

Now we got soul

James Brown is The God Father of Soul. Don't take my word for it go as Mick Jagger or any other R&B icon about James Brown....and then ask them about the Temptations!!! hahahahahaha

:D:D

Being such a slow day on TV.com, I did some research.....

Along with the Supremes, the Temptations were the best Motown act of the 1960s, achieving a unique performance style and a constancy of excellent hit records. The Stones have evidently enjoyed the Temptations' music, for they have consistently paid them homage throughout their career. In 1967, their Flowers album included a discarded cover of their hit My Girl. More spectacularly, the Stones recorded excellent covers of the Temps' Ain't Too Proud to Beg and Just My Imagination in 1974 and 1978, the latter becoming an unqualified Stones classic, played regularly on the Stones' 1978 and 1981-82 tour. Though they did not record it, in 1994 the Stones reworked a version of I Can't Get Next to You, which they performed sporadically throughout the Voodoo Lounge tour.[/u]
the Temptations were R&B/pop bands that the Stones respected and had affection for in the 1960s and beyond. The Stones recorded a cover of the Temptations' My Girl, which was written by Smokey Robinson (and released in 1967 on the Flowers album).
Source> Stones influences

Kendricks had the high, gliding tenor that almost went into falsetto; Ruffin had the coarser, more emotive style. Ruffin would give the group's most passioned, even angst-ridden, performance on "(I Know) I'm Losing You"; his delivery was closely studied by Rod Stewart (who covered that classic) and, most likely, Mick Jagger, who would eventually cover "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" with The Stones.
source>Temptation Bio

La/Di/Dah!!! :D

Wow to say that James Brown never grew... I don't know much about music, can't read it, but JB's music did progress from his gospel roots to reshaping the sound of his band twice. The band's shake up in 1970 brought about a sound called funk, funk falls within soul music. Holding up the Temps accomplishments should not diminish JB the guy was a perfectionist. He didn't cheat his fans even if they couldn't tell the difference he insisted the music be as tight as he envisioned it. :o

edit: added cool daddy shades emoticon

Edited by aughie

uuufffff ..... how did Hall & Oates get in there? :o

This is a potentially huge list ... but others missing include

- Percy Sledge

- Ruth Brown

- Etta James

- Jackie Wilson

- Ben E. King

Not really from the classic soul era, but also:

- Earth, Wind & Fire

- Sly & The Family Stone

- Luther Vandross

- Mary J. Blige

- Anita Baker

There's so many more ....

JAMES BROWN

Now we got soul

:D:D

Being such a slow day on TV.com, I did some research.....

Along with the Supremes, the Temptations were the best Motown act of the 1960s, achieving a unique performance style and a constancy of excellent hit records. The Stones have evidently enjoyed the Temptations' music, for they have consistently paid them homage throughout their career. In 1967, their Flowers album included a discarded cover of their hit My Girl. More spectacularly, the Stones recorded excellent covers of the Temps' Ain't Too Proud to Beg and Just My Imagination in 1974 and 1978, the latter becoming an unqualified Stones classic, played regularly on the Stones' 1978 and 1981-82 tour. Though they did not record it, in 1994 the Stones reworked a version of I Can't Get Next to You, which they performed sporadically throughout the Voodoo Lounge tour.[/u]
the Temptations were R&B/pop bands that the Stones respected and had affection for in the 1960s and beyond. The Stones recorded a cover of the Temptations' My Girl, which was written by Smokey Robinson (and released in 1967 on the Flowers album).
Source> Stones influences

Kendricks had the high, gliding tenor that almost went into falsetto; Ruffin had the coarser, more emotive style. Ruffin would give the group's most passioned, even angst-ridden, performance on "(I Know) I'm Losing You"; his delivery was closely studied by Rod Stewart (who covered that classic) and, most likely, Mick Jagger, who would eventually cover "Ain't Too Proud To Beg" with The Stones.
source>Temptation Bio

La/Di/Dah!!! :D

Well Mr. La/Di/Dah, Thanks for the interesting viewpoint and informative links. I did a bit more research on the links you listed and it seems to me that the Stones liked the same music that the Tempts recorded....but this is probably indicates that they liked the songs written by Smokey Robinson, Norman Whitfield, and Barrett Strom more than it indicates that the Stones liked the Tempts style of performance. Just listen to the two bands and its clear (at least I think its clear) that the styles are quite dissimilar. My specific mention was of Mick Jaggar's attitutde towards James Brown and The Tempts. The following is a cut and paste from another page of your "Stones influences" link: http://www.timeisonourside.com/STSoul.html

-------------------------------

"

JAMES BROWN (1933- )

Mick and Keith were especially fervent admirers of their soul temporaries when the Stones started out. Though the band never recorded his material, as a performer Mick was particularly enamored of Georgia-born James Brown. Several of his moves were nicked by Mick in those early days (James Brown and the Stones played on the same bill in October 1964 for a TV special recorded in California). More importantly, Brown's more general ability to establish an awesome, energetic stage presence, has been something that Mick has learned and built upon. Just on that basis, Brown has been a tremendous influence on the Stones. "

------------------------------

If you look at James Brown's performance style, then Mick Jaggar's performance style, and the the Temptations' performance style....I think it is clear that Mick Jaggar drew much more heavily from James Brown than the Temptations...and the same can probably more or less be said about the Stones overall.

Thanks again for the great links and interesting perspecitive.

Lo/Di/Doh

If you look at James Brown's performance style, then Mick Jaggar's performance style, and the the Temptations' performance style....I think it is clear that Mick Jaggar drew much more heavily from James Brown than the Temptations...and the same can probably more or less be said about the Stones overall.

Thanks again for the great links and interesting perspecitive.

Lo/Di/Doh

What may be difficult for members to understand, but for those of us who grew up in Liverpool or London throughout the formation of British rock, there were two distinct types of influence on this movement.

There was the main stream commercial Rock and Roll as exported from the USA – with Bill Haley, Bobby Vee, Bobby Daren, Elvis Presley, Jean Vincent etc. – the predominantly white Rockers. These influences produced their English counter parts – Cliff Richard, Billy Fury, Adam Faith, Marty Wilde etc – the white English Rock and Rollers.

But Liverpool and parts of London were experiencing other influences, coming mainly via merchant seamen and their valuable collections of imported records.

Central to these influences were Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, James Brown, Sam Cook etc. These would go on to include the artists of Motown. Also accompanying these rockers and Soul artists was the discovery, by the Brits, of USA’s lost blues traditions with visiting artists such as Sonny Boy Williamson being very important catalysts.

From out of these Black influences were created bands such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

I would say that the guitar styles of Mssrs Richards and to a lesser extent Jones paiy a great homage to Charles Berry. :o

ps Listen to their cover of " Oh Carol" - Gorgeous...... :D

Edited by chonabot

Alexis Corner had a fair bit to do with the development of old school R'n B as well

as Jack Dupree, Cryil Davies and Long John Baldry.

:D

None of whom would deny the debt they owed to the Black influences - coming as they all did out of this black music tradition.

Sonny Boy Williamson played with all of the above.

Aye also he played with Brian Auger and Mr James Page.

The biggest influence would have to be (IMO) Robert Johnson though.

:o

What may be difficult for members to understand, but for those of us who grew up in Liverpool or London throughout the formation of British rock, there were two distinct types of influence on this movement.

There was the main stream commercial Rock and Roll as exported from the USA – with Bill Haley, Bobby Vee, Bobby Daren, Elvis Presley, Jean Vincent etc. – the predominantly white Rockers. These influences produced their English counter parts – Cliff Richard, Billy Fury, Adam Faith, Marty Wilde etc – the white English Rock and Rollers.

But Liverpool and parts of London were experiencing other influences, coming mainly via merchant seamen and their valuable collections of imported records.

Central to these influences were Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Otis Redding, Sam and Dave, James Brown, Sam Cook etc. These would go on to include the artists of Motown. Also accompanying these rockers and Soul artists was the discovery, by the Brits, of USA’s lost blues traditions with visiting artists such as Sonny Boy Williamson being very important catalysts.

From out of these Black influences were created bands such as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones.

Yes.

I would also like to add a few others - I haven't read the whole thread, so my apologies if it is a bit repetitive:

Ojays - For the love of Money, Backstabbers.

Archie Bell and the Drells

Smokey Robinson

The Stylistics

Minnie Riperton

Gladys Knight and the Pips

Aretha - of course!

Marvin Gaye

little Stevie Wonder

Ray

Patti Labelle

Earth, Wind, and Fire

Parliament Funkadelic - Bootsy Collins and George Clintion

Barry White

Al Green

Martha and the Vandels

Percy Sledge - When a Man loves a Woman

This list has more of a 70s slant to add to the classics such as Howlin Wolf, Chubby Checker, Sam Cooke, Otis Redding, Little Richard, et al.

Not getting off topic here but I've always preferred the 'soul' of say, Sandy Denny when she lead 'Fairchild Convention' over strict black soul.

They were a big influence on 'Pink Floyd'.

Edited by Boon Mee

The topic title was Black soul......but many have mentioned white artists....and even R&R's......

Black soul music has all but died....now we have that nasty gangsta rap, hip hop crap.....

The day the music died.....it wasnt when Buddy died

The topic title was Black soul......but many have mentioned white artists....and even R&R's......

Black soul music has all but died....now we have that nasty gangsta rap, hip hop crap.....

The day the music died.....it wasnt when Buddy died

I'm not sure what you mean by R&R. Is it what Americans would call Rhythm and Blues (R&:D? *(nevermind, I see now that you mean Rock and Roll, a catchphrase that I never use :o ).

Many people have the same lament (that real soul music is dead). I think the golden age has passed, but there are new incarnations. But if you don't have an open mind, you will never know. Perhaps you actually need soul to recognize it in its newest guise before it is canonized.

What about The Fugees, Lauren Hill, Kanye West, Public Enemy, John Legend, Alicia Keys, India Arie, to name a few.

Edited by kat