Android Market

pilou

Hi all

I have bought a ( cheap ) Android phone to explore its possibilities ( I normally use an iphone 3G ). A few problems so far, but all in all, very pleased with my purchase.

I quickly realized that in Thailand, I don't have access to paid apps, only the free ones are available .

Is there any way to circumvent this without rooting the phone ? There is an app called "market enabler " but seems to be only available for rooted devices. My phone has Android 1.6 Donut version.

Thanks. :)

Phil

Root it! If you want to explore the full potential of your Android phone you need to root it. I have a HTC Hero with the MoDaCo rom. Market-enabler works great.

Hi and thanks for your answer.

I have jailbroken 3 iphones ( but I'll buy the next one in Thailand unlocked and probably won't jailbreak it...), so I'm not against rooting at all...

What ROM do you recommend , have you got a preferred site or method, and is there a way to reverse the process... Sorry , like I said, i am new to Android... If it's relevant, my phone is a Wellcom A88.

Many thanks.

Phil

Anybody in Chiang Mai has found a place able to root an Android phone ?

Root it! If you want to explore the full potential of your Android phone you need to root it. I have a HTC Hero with the MoDaCo rom. Market-enabler works great.

Hi and thanks for your answer.

I have jailbroken 3 iphones ( but I'll buy the next one in Thailand unlocked and probably won't jailbreak it...), so I'm not against rooting at all...

What ROM do you recommend , have you got a preferred site or method, and is there a way to reverse the process... Sorry , like I said, i am new to Android... If it's relevant, my phone is a Wellcom A88.

Many thanks.

Phil

Anybody in Chiang Mai has found a place able to root an Android phone ?

For the Hero, the MaDaCo ROM is supposed to be one of the better ones. I got it here: http://android.modaco.com/forum.html

Another site with lots of good info is: http://theunlockr.com/#menu

Before updating the ROM you do a full backup, so it is easy to go back.

I don't know anything about your phone, but a quick google came up with this: http://www.mrchoke.org/node/247

It is in Thai, but maybe you can watch the video and figure it out?

Hi again

I had found this site too, and Google chrome translated it for me ... But it seems a bit complicated , so I will probably try to find a place that could do it for me..

Thanks for your time.

Phil