Renewal Of Married Persons Extension Of Stay

Firstly I am sure that this topic has been covered before but despite doing a search I cannot find the specific answer to my query so apologies in advance for any repetition.

If somebody can direct me to a link to a previous query please do so.

I am due to renew my married persons extension of stay by the 6th May and have everything in place such as photos, marriage cert, proof of monies etc.

I recall reading on a previous TV post several months ago that you are now required to also produce a form or letter from the Amphur where you registered your marriage confirming that you have not divorced during the intervening period.

I recently did a 90 day report at Jomtien Imm and asked Barry Kenyon the UK consulate rep about this and he said that he had never heard of it and produced the most recent list of requirements which indeed made no reference to this requirement, however I am concerned that the list may have been compiled for first time applicants.

As my marriage is registered at Amphur Chonnabot, Khon Kaen, I am anxious to have this form with me, if it is needed, when I go to Jomtien Imm.

Has anybody any personal experience of this requirement and if so please advise me of the number or name of the form I will need as I am pretty sure that Amphur Chonnabot will not have much of an idea?

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would update this thread with my experience today at Pattaya Immigration.

I wrongly assumed the Immigration office would be closed for the labour day holiday and went to use the photocopying shop nearby to get copies of the bank verification letter I managed to get from the sub branch of Siam CB at Big C Sukhumvit Rd as the main branch was closed and I planned to go to immigration first thing tomorrow.

I was amazwd to see The Imm office was not only open but also almost deserted as it was 3.15 pm and I believe that most people assumed they would be closed as I had.

My wife and I sat straight down at desk 5 while the officer checked all of my papers and the only thing that was missing was an extra copy of the 2 photos she selected of the 7 that I had taken with me of us at home etc, but fortunately I had them on a flash drive so I rushed to a photo lab in Soi 5 and got 2 extra prints within 5 minutes.

I was sat back down before the officer at about 3.40 pm and she completed the processing, took the 1900 baht fee and stamped my passport with a 30 day extension to allow time for processing in BKK.

The Kor Lor 2 that I obtained last week from Amphur Chonabot was definitely needed and I am grateful to everyone who advised me of this requirement as it is definitely not mentioned on the list of requirements issued by Pattaya Imm.

We were told at Amphur Chonnabot that a Kor Lor 2 can be obtained at any Amphur office on production of the Thai identity card, so if anybody turns up to Immigration without it, all is not lost but I was mighty relieved I already had it.

So I left Pattaya Imm at about 4.05 pm a very happy person having been in and out in less than an hour.

Whether BKK complete the approval by 6th June remains to be seen but so far so good.

Thanks again to everyone who has given their advice on this thread

Hi, i am also due to extend my one year extension by another year.

This will be my second year. Do you have to go through the interview again?

What is the full set of document required?

This is the list to bring i made after my first year

- wife

- passport (copy needed)

- work permit (copy needed)

- one photo 4x6

- wife's ID (copy needed)

- household book (copy needed)

- map to your house

- proof of marriage registration in amphur (copy of proof)

- bank book (copy of bank book - front page and bank balances for past 2 months)

- letter from your bank (copy needed)

- a bank book update that day

- singapore marriage certificate (copy needed)

- some photo's of you and your wife in and around the house

in front of house number, in front of house in garden, in living room on sofa,

in living room in front of dining, in bedroom in front of bed, in bedroom in front of

wardrobe, photos of wedding ceremony.

STICK THE PHOTOS ON A PIECE OF A4 PAPER

Yes the same procedure each time so take everything again (updated/new photos) - if they do not need something just keep it for next time as for sure if you don't have it that will be the item required.

- bank book (copy of bank book - front page and bank balances for past 2 months)

Thanks for this feedback racefan and comproez, very useful. Could I ask about the seasoning of money (400K Baht)at Pattaya Immigration - is it 2 months or 3 months. I know the official rule is now 2 months, but I thought I read somewhere that Pattaya Immigration required 3 months???

I have to do my annual renewal at the end of August and am holding off sending over money as late as possible - in the sad hope that the exchange rate may improve slightly by the end of June.

Edited by dsfbrit

Yes lop - you are right of course. The pound exchange rate was 47.7 this morning and with the almost certain hung parliament in the UK and the resulting uncertainty - the rate is unlikely to rise much in the next 3 weeks.

thanks for your help..

Thanks for this feedback racefan and comproez, very useful. Could I ask about the seasoning of money (400K Baht)at Pattaya Immigration - is it 2 months or 3 months. I know the official rule is now 2 months, but I thought I read somewhere that Pattaya Immigration required 3 months???

I have to do my annual renewal at the end of August and am holding off sending over money as late as possible - in the sad hope that the exchange rate may improve slightly by the end of June.

On initial application for married person's extension you only have to show the 400k as being in the account for 2 months however on renewal the required period is 3 months.

This is not peculiar to Pattaya Imm it is a requirement by the government and will be needed at any Imm. office.

Like you, I had to bear the appalling exchange rate when I transferred money from the UK in February in time for my renewal this week.

With a hung parliament in the UK I dread to think what the pound will do over the next few months!

Edited by racefan

however on renewal the required period is 3 months.

This is not peculiar to Pattaya Imm it is a requirement by the government and will be needed at any Imm. office.

Not correct. Some Immigration Offices require 2 months for every renewal.

It always pays to inquire first.

Edited by Eclipse

The government requirement is contained in police order 777/2551 and it says two months. We expect that was a mistake but it is the written/published requirement in both Thai and English translations.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

• 2 weeks later...
My one year extension expires on the 19th and now 17th and 18th has been declared a holiday.

This is going to be tight.

For next time: you can apply for an extension up to 30 days before your current permission ends. The extension always starts when your curent permission to stay ends, so be applying early you will not lose any days.

Thanks for the tip Mario.

I hope they don't close on the 19th, if not, i have no idea what are they going to do to my 1 year extension.

I intend to keep extending for 3 years and get the PR.

Any break would be back to zero

Thanks for the tip Mario.

I hope they don't close on the 19th, if not, i have no idea what are they going to do to my 1 year extension.

I intend to keep extending for 3 years and get the PR.

Any break would be back to zero

The rule is that if your last day is a holiday/weekend you can go the first day they are open.

Right now immigration has announced on their website that people will not be fined if they get an overstay because of the closure, as long as they come in the first day they are open. (the 19th)

It is still unclear whether the immigration bureau will open on the 19th or not. The website has not been updated.

It is of course very likely the immigration office will open on Monday 24th instead.

For those who can still remember?

What is the step by step procedure to applying the extension?

e.g. 1. take a queue number, 2. submit your documents, 3. wait for the interview.

I will probably be queueing up at 8am and want to know how fast i can get out of there

You enter and go through the security screen area and desks are in front of you for the queue. You show your documents - are provided a queue number for the specific service you require - and go there to wait.

Same situation, due in August for renewal & I normally hold near 400k in one bank account, but had to dip in recently & topping it up now at end May. But I have on average more than enough in another account to make up the 400k as that account I use for monthly living.

Question is: can I use both account statements to prove I had a minimum 400k for last 3months before the application or must it all be in one savings account?

Last couple of years Pattaya accepted the 40k monthly income which was'nt a problem, but they told me last August next time I would need the 400k.

Oh, re the photos...last year I just compiled them on one A4 piece of paper & printed on normal copy paper.no problem., no need for glossy but TIT.

You can still chose between 40,00 a month income OR 400,000 in the bank. The rules have not been changed.

If there is a problem with seasoning the money, you can always get a 60 day extension based on visiting your Thai wife, and apply for the 1 year extension at the end of it.

I also printed my own photos, and put them together on A4 copier paper. It was not a problem.

I had to extend my visa on monday, and because of the problems in Bangkok the previous week, I was unable to get a letter of confirmation from my bank. I had been told the letter had to come from the bank where your account was held.

On monday, while at immigration, I went downstairs to the Siam Commercial Bank to update my passbook. I asked if they could write the comfirmation letter for me. They were happy to do it.

When I did my last renewal at the tail end of last year. I was asked for photos of me and my wife which was the first time that my local Immigration office had asked for these. I copied a few photos on to standard A4 paper and these were accepted but each office sets their own criteria.