International Rugby Fixtures

With a points difference of +300 and four bonus point wins, Japan wrap up another Asian Five Nations campaign with a 93 - 3 thrashing of UAE at the Sevens in Dubai; thank goodness for home advantage, or it coudl've been embarrassing, eh?

Lower down the leagues, Uzbekhistan beat Laos 18 - 15 in probably the most exciting game of the day, to relegate Laos back down to Division Five, while Lebanon will climb to Division Three with their 45 - 12 win over Pakistan. No doubt Laos' pain of relegation will be compounded as their dream of participating in the 2019 World Cup has now surely died. Qualification effectively starts this July, when Cambodia meet Brunei in July in Division Five...

Like me, I expect most of you will be making the trip to Kelana Jaya for the Divisions Two and Three finals on Saturday 8th of June; I look forward to seeing you there. You can expect a big turn-out if the Division Two final follows the seedings, and Malaysia meet Singapore in a peninsular derby, while China are expected to meet Indonesia or the mighty Guam in the Division Three final.

SC

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Two tries in the dying minutes see Korea run away 43 - 22 victors over Hong Kong to claim second place in the Asian Five Nations. A final try after twenty phases of play, minutes after the final hooter, is scant consolation, rounding off a disappointing week for Hong Kong rugby, after their Sevens team missed out on qualification for the IRB Sevens series next year with a loss to Spain.

And in the other fixture, the Philippines Volcanoes held on to their top five spot, while UAE's world cup dream died as they lost 24-8 in front of a Philippines' record rugby crowd of around 5,700.

SC

Japan Tonga just kicking off in the Pacific Nations Cup...

Japan the champions in 2011 (after my last experience at Pitoddrie, don't let me say "Let's have a wee Nip instead...")

SC

Japan pull back a try from a penalty lineout after sustained pressure Tonga 12 - 5 Japan after 21 minutes...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Japan get the start to the second half that they wanted, good strong running, good hands, and it's Tonga 22 - 10 Japan as the ball comes back off the posts.

And again, sustained pressure sees Japan score near the posts to make it 27 - 17, but they're making heavy weather of their scores

Edited by StreetCowboy

It's a wet, humid afternoon in Fiji, with the pitch covered in water; a day for keeping it tight in the forwards and driving it forward. Somebody should tell the Fijians, who spin the ball from wing to wing to score a try in the corner in the first 60 seconds.

I can't believe that Fiji has not yet put a man on the moon, they're so good at getting into space...

And in the first scrum, the Japanese are trundled backwards; it could be a long afternoon for them

EDIT: Fifteen minutes gone, and the light is fading. The floodlights are on - flood is the appropriate word. The rain is coming down in sheets, and the ball isn't bouncing at all; just plopping into the water, and gently bobbing away...

Japan playing to the conditions drive a maul, penalty, another driving maul, but it goes down and in the ensuing ruck Japan penalised for holding on; Fiji, on the other hand, still playing sunshine rugby

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

And the second half starts with Fiji only leading 5 - 0; in poor kicking conditions saw both sides miss penalties.

Fiji start brightly again, now that the rain has stopped, spining the ball from side to side, but the water is still lying heavy on the pitch, and the Japan defence is watertight...

Two penalties see Japan attacking, short passes, hard running into the Fijians, the ball spins out and Michael Leitch would've taken it and scored had he not been stretched out on the other side of the field - perhaps with a broken leg. He's in a great deal of pain and it's fortunate that in the ensuing nine phases of play he was not caught up again, he's stretchered off and play restarts with a Japanese scrum; penalty just in front of the posts: 5-3.

But within a couple of minutes, a turn-over sees Fiji break, good hands and great support play sees another score in the corner - 10 - 3.

Japan eschew a penalty opportunity, they continue to attack, and this is not a good advert for Suntory whisky; these Nips are not going down easily...

The rain is back on, and dogged defence sees Japan clear their lines, Fiji doing all the attacking, but the conditions make it difficult for Fiji to play with their usual flair, still 10 - 3 with less than twenty minutes to go.

Japan lose the ball near the Fiji 22, Fiji break, slicing through the Japanese defence, the Japanese turn and race back but the Fijian support is there and that's a third try for Fiji.

Edited by StreetCowboy

And the full-time hooter goes five minutes early; Fiji kick the ball out and the referee points to the line-out. last play. Six minutes. Five minutes; the hooter was for the car factory across the road.

For once the Japanese force the Fiji scrum back and Fiji hoof the ball down the middle o the park. Japan are over the Fiji 10 m line but Fiji win the ball from a ruck... and knock on. Japan attack again, the ball is turned over, Fiji kick downfield again. Japan attacking from their own half, the ball carrier draws two defenders, a brilliant offload to Kenki Fukuoka on the wing and Japan score a try in their fiftieth consecutive game. Japan attack again in the 82nd minute though the missed conversion means that a draw is beyond them. The referee must've stopped his clock for longer as he sets a Japanese scrum for a knock-on. The Japanese scrum is not being pushed about any more.

Japan attack from their own 22, a quick penalty, keeping the ball alive, some desperate passing as they advance to the half-way line, and a pass goes astray and Fiji collect, break ans score a fourth try for a bonus point and it ends 22 - 8, lifting Fiji to joint top of the table with Tonga on 5 points after their first match..

SC

Singapore and hosts, Malaysia, progress to the Division Two Final at MBPJ Stadium, Kelana Jaya on Saturday, beating India and Iran respectively, who will duke it out for relegation on Friday.

Highlights of the first game

Division Three Semi-finals kick off tomorrow, as China take on Qatar, and, earlier in the heat of the mid-day sun, Indonesia meet the Mighty Guam.

You may recall that last year's final was a cracker, with Thailand winning 19 - 22 at the same stadium.

SC

Well, I'm sure you're all as surprised as I am to see China take a hammering from Qatar to set up a Friday relegation battle with Indonesia, while Qatar will meet the Mighty Guam at four o' clock for the promotion battle to Division Two - followed, by Malaysia v Singapore for the Division Two Championship.

We'll be assembling in Sid's en route to the game, at around 3 pm, if you want to join us.

See you all at MBPJ Stadium, Kelana Jaya on Saturday

SC

Iran overcome India, who slip back down to Division Three, while China lose to Indonesia, and fall to Division Four, with Uzbekistan, Pakistan and the winner of Brunei Cambodia in July.

Division Three will be India, Indonesia, Lebanon and the loser of tomorrow's game between Qatar and the Mighty Guam.

I can see that you are all struggling to control the excitement... My mate K and his girlfriend have come all the way from Dubai for the games.

SC

I'm lucky that I live closer to the ground than the rest of you - you're probably all still on the way home.

The Mighty Guam fell to the expatriate forward power of Qatar, who progress from Division III to Division II, while the Mighty Guam languish with the likes of Lebanon, Indonesia and India.

Meanwhile in the main event of the day, while France and New Zealand played a friendly test, Singapore squared up against Malaysia for the Asian Division Two final. The first half finished with the home side trailing 6 - 7, but in the second half they pulled ahead; only to lose the lead to a good try by the Singapore forewards and it looked like they would be the team progressing, 14 - 9; but as the clock wound down, Malaysia scored in the corner;with a chance to win the game in the last few minutes, the Malaysian kicker lined up from the touch line - Lh Drama of Dramas! the ball came back off the crossbar! Malaysia attacked but could not close the game out; Singapore counter - attacked, and a penalty out wide went over to seal the game; Singapore return to Division I football, while Malaysia will welcome Thailand back down from the upper reaches, and will be joined with Qatar. Iran also remain in Division II. But where will it be played next year? It's pointless to speculate...

Anyway, I've just switched on the recording of Scotland v Samoa, so forgive me if I don't reply to any urgent queries about today's exciting games

SC

• 4 months later...

I'm watching the Japan New Zealand test from Tokyo, and NZ have just stretched their lead to 21 - 6 with two quick tries immediately before the half hour mark - and a fourth from a creaking five metre scrum; 28 - 6.

I'm reminded of a pool game at the Hong Kong Sevens; we'd all piled down to the bar from the dry stand, to top up while the mismatches were on. A cheer went up, and we thought "Oh, that's nice, Japan have scored". Then a louder cheer went up, and people started supping up and rushing back to their seats. Japan were still leading when the final hooter went, but NZ had possession and went on to score and win the game. I've never seen the crowd at Hong Kong so united behind one team, though, except maybe some of the HK team games.

SC

This weekend it's the final leg of the 2013 Asian Sevens series in Singapore, with Hong Kong hoping to retain the series title with a win, while Japan are chasing a third win to seal the series.

But I'm off to the Cobra Tens for the last few pool games...

SC

Well I'm all hot and flushed and a little hoarse ...

Nay! Nivvir!

... having rushed back from the Cobra 10s at the Kelana Jaya Stadium, where hosts Cobra (Combined Old Boys Rugby Association) lost out to the Borneo Eagles in the Cup Final.

post-60794-0-46213600-1384085926_thumb.j

NKK Northlink of South Africa overcame NS Silverbacks of Australia for the Plate, while local boys Kerlis Conlay overcame New Zealand First Brigade to lift the Bowl. British representatives HSBC Penguins went out to Cobra in the semi-finals.

I think the real drama today was down in Singapore, where Japan clinched the Asian Sevens series with a 24 - 19 win over Hong Kong; that's pretty good, getting the video up on youtube so quickly; I've not watched it yet. Malaysia qualified for the Cup on the strength of one win on Saturday, but finished in eighth place, one place ahead of Bowl winners Thailand. At last China put in a decent performance, finishing third.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

• 3 months later...

Later this month we have the Japan Sevens and the HK Sevens to look forward to. Unfortunately, I didn't check early enough, and there were no sensible-priced packages available for Hong Kong by the time I checked, so I will vicariously enjoy the games by the magic of the internet.

The Asian Five Nations will probably kick off in April; last year Division 1 was played at the end of March / beginning of April, but none of the schedules are up yet.

Thailand will be playing old adversaries Malaysia, Iran and Qatar in Division 2 after a brief season in Division 1; I don't know where Division 2 will be held - probably Qatar, might be Thailand; Malaysia is unlikely after the last two seasons, and Iran also unlikely.

SC

• 1 month later...

The Five Nations kicks off this coming weekend, when Hong Kong host Philippines, and South Korea host Sri Lanka

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Asian_Five_Nations#Round_1

I don't have any information about the lower divisions.

Thailand will be in Division Two, alongside neighbours Malaysia, and also Qatar and Iran.

I don't know when or where that will be played.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

This is the third time I've tried to post this, so forgive the brevity.

Apparently the lower divisions are going through a re-organisation, so there might be no international tournaments this year - I couldn't find any information.

This evening UAE host Singapore at the Sevens, Dubai, in the only Division 1 game this season.

SC

UAE 13 - 30 Singapore will see UAE demoted to division 2 next year.

I got some more information about this year's fixtures here

http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/qualifying/news/newsid=2071095.html#schedule+asian+climax+qualifying

Khazakhstan and Taiwan will play in HK on 10th May to stay in Division 1, while division II will be played in Qatar with Thailand, Malaysia and Iran on 20 - 23 May, and Division III will play in two regional competitions in Laos and Pakistan, and finally Brunei will host Cambodia and Mongolia in June.

SC

• 2 weeks later...

Two great games coming up in Hong Kong on Saturday - first up, Khazakstan play Taiwan to stay in Division One next year, while in the main event, Hong Kong duke it out with Korea for likely second place and a repechage chance at qualifying for the 2015 World Cup in England.

So get yourselves down to HK Football Club, if you have the chance

SC

Korea kicked off against Hong Kong at the Football Club, Happy Valley, after the warm-up match - Khazakhstan assured their place in Division 1 with an emphatic 37 - 8 win over Taiwan.

Korea take a 3 point lead after Jake Phelps is sent to the sin-bin, while in Nagoya, Japan take a 68 - 0 half-time lead over Sri Lanka. The Eurosport coverage is lagging the live twitter feed by about five minutes...

https://twitter.com/asian5nations

6 - 0 Korea

Korea very physical, muscling through the HK Line - beefy chaps!

But Hong Kong hold out, and launch their own attack - to no avail, penalised for holding on on the Korean try line.

Again Korea attack, but Hong Kong turn over, break and eventually kick through - Jake Phelps breaks through, and the hand of God pats the ball onto his knee and he follows through to touch down - the conversion gives Hong Kong the lead, but immediately Korea attack and chip through, but Rowan Varty saves the try. And Hong Kong attack again, their No. 1 prop barrels up the pitch and HK win a penalty in front of the posts.

The game swings back and forth, Hong Kong attack again, the ball is squirting out of the rucks and there's a lot of loose and untidy play, until Alex McQueen drops an untidy goal to extend the lead to 13 - 6

Edited by StreetCowboy

Hong Kong attack, the referee rules that the drop goal attempt was charged down, HK push over the scrum but the ball squirts out and Korea break... but the ball comes loose out the side of a ruck and it;s HK's turn to break, and Jake Phelps barrels over for his second try - obviously benefiting from his ten minutes' rest at the start of the game,., HKG 20 - 6 KOR at half time

Korea miss a penalty in the second minute, and then go a man down for a late challenge on the kicker, and HK attack with a man advantage. HK maul their way toward the try line near the posts, but can't get over, but the ball is spun out right and Yiu Kam Shing scores in the corner.

Edited by StreetCowboy

Oh kicks ahead to the touch line for Korea, but it falls into the hands of Rowan Varty, who juggles a bit then breaks up the touch line and feeds Alex McQueen who scores Hong Kong's fourth try, leading 32 - 6, with ten minutes to go.

And again, Hong Kong are making yards up the pitch, but there's an interception, Korea hoof the ball up the pitch and Hong Kong scramble backwards, conceding a scrum five metres out.

And a fifth try by prop Nolan sees HK extend their lead 39 - 6 at full time, which guarantees Hong Kong 2nd place in this year's Asian Five Nations - with first place still possible if they give Japan their first ever defeat in the tournament in two weeks in Tokyo. 2nd place will earn them a game against Uruguay on the road to the World Cup in England next year...

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

I'm just watching Japan slice Korea apart in Seoul by 55 points to nil after 55 minutes. The Japanese are too fast and too strong for Korea and are scoring willy-nilly in the corners. HOng Kong will be scratching their heads how they can challenge Japan when they meet next week in Tokyo

SC

And I no sooner say that than Korea break down the wing, tip-toeing past his opposite number and the touch line, to score in the corner. Korea attack again, their tales up, but the attack breaks down a couple of metres out and a penalty given away - but Korea steal the ball at the lineout.

But Japan reassert their dominance and push over a scrum to score beneath the posts with five minutes to go

Edited by StreetCowboy

Korea hammer on the Japan try line but can't reach it. They dive for the try-line, stopped inches short and the tackled player reaches forward to place the ball on the line to score - but the referee rules that he has held on too long - not a double movement, but holding on, and from the penalty Japan burst out through the Korean line - the winger looks certain to score but his opposite number catches him - there's no support and the Japanese winger has no option but to hang on to the ball as he is bundled into touch. Korea attack again from their own five metre line, but can't get further than a penalty on the Japanese 22. The referee tells Japan there's time for a lineout and they attack again,

Korea turn the ball over and kick it dead behind their own posts to end the game 5 - 62 behind and Japan seal their 27th successive bonus point win in the seven years of the Asian Five Nations. Will Hong Kong be the first team to defeat them in the competition next week in Tokyo?

SC

EDIT: And after that, Japan have some other interesting tests - Samoa, Canada, USA and Italy on successive weeks....

Edited by StreetCowboy

Thailand face Qatar while Malaysia take on Iran in the Asian Division Two later today, with the Final on Friday.

Hong Kong travel to Tokyo for Sunday's game to determine the Asian Five Nations champion for 2104, with Japan favourites to clinch the title for the seventh successive year, and correspondingly qualification for the World Cup in 2015, while the loser will enter the Repechage inter-continental play-offs for the final World Cup spot.

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy

Thailand fell to a disappointing 24 - 11 defeat to the home side in Qatar; the newly-promoted hosts play Malaysia, who were emphatic 43 - 22 winners over Iran, for the Division Two Championship.

I don't know what is happening about relegation and promotion this season, as the whole league is getting revamped. I think Qatar and Malaysia will be joined in Division Two by UAE and Chinese Taipei, while Iran and Thailand, who last season were playing in Division One, will fall to Division Three.

I think it will be:

Top Three: Japan, Hong Kong, Korea

Division 1: Philippines, Sri Lanka, Singapore, Khazakhstan

Division 2: UAE, Chinese Taipei, Malaysia, Qatar

Division 3: Thailand, Iran plus two others

and then maybe regional divisions below that.

Currently, there are Division 3 East and Division 3 West, playing 29 - 31 May and 19 - 22 June respectively

SC

Edited by StreetCowboy