Starting A Business In Samui, Will I Be Unwelcome?

Can you please explain in plain English. :rolleyes:If you have been here several times & business acumen, I don't even see you asking that question.

Honestly I'm not some ponce trying to sound literate, I've coped some crap on here before about being naive so I've tried another angle. I might have business acumen, but I haven't done business in Thailand. I may have visited Samui many times but I haven't connected with the local business community, my only experience is being an observer as a tourist.

Rule number 1 if you do decide to do Business here, you know that word " Logic " ?? Forget it, all logic & logical Business ideas/plan's/practice etc goes out the window here..

Enjoy & good luck.. :D

I'll keep that in mind cheers :)

So now it seems we have the on-line travel business Mafia :D Is there any type of business here on Samui that isn't controlled by them ? :D Everywhere you go these days all you here is " he is big Mafia or she is big Mafia or they are not Mafia but they know big Mafia etc.

You would think that with all the ex SAS, SBS Marines, Para's, Seals, Green Berets, MI5 / 6 CIA, FBI NSA etc that there would be no trouble here :D:D

Nige, Don't listen to all the Mafia nonsense. Come here, open your business. Use basic common sense and curtesy and enjoy. :)

PS the only Godfather you have to keep sweet is the Don of Don's, the Cappo De cappo

ROO. Upset him and you're history :D

Don't believe me ? Ask Big C. :D

hmmm I may have upset him with my first comment :D

You know it is nice to hear almost all comments on here have been helpful and positive, it is appreciated. I'll be over in June to meet a good lawyer if anyone knows one or if anyone would like a pint on me, I'll post an invite, probably the Islander

mate great idea about the one stop internet site,, BUT there are hundreds doing it all you need to do is search google for koh samui... i use sites like kohsamui.org or www.thesamuiguru.com

what you need to do to make this work is offer something that no-one else is offering..

i rnt having ago at your idea but there are plenty of people doing this. you would have to spend $$$$$$$$ on SEO to even rank on page one of google for some of your terms and this would take at least 6-12 months..

just be careful dont spend thousands on this idea when there are thousands already doing it!!!

steve

Btw can anyone point me in right direction of a good lawyer in Samui, regarding my quest?

Thanks to you all for your comments it's been helpful and a laugh, cheers

Lingdern ( not sure on the spelling ) not really a suprise comming from me. they are in banrak next to restrant oceans 11. they are proffessional and international with branches in Phuket Bangkok and HK and samui off coarse. they have english lawyers aswell as thai. they are a big nnetwork.

then craw shaws in bohput about 100 meters after bohput traffic lights on the left hand side also big team have english lawyers and thai. they all know there business.

there are also allot of other firms. these 2 are the only ones i have delt with for business anyway

mate great idea about the one stop internet site,, BUT there are hundreds doing it all you need to do is search google for koh samui... i use sites like kohsamui.org or www.thesamuiguru.com

what you need to do to make this work is offer something that no-one else is offering..

i rnt having ago at your idea but there are plenty of people doing this. you would have to spend $$$$$$$$ on SEO to even rank on page one of google for some of your terms and this would take at least 6-12 months..

just be careful dont spend thousands on this idea when there are thousands already doing it!!!

steve

No worries Steve I agree with you it does need to be different and it needs to be one page 1 of Google. I initially looked into doing this on own my, it soon became apparent that it is impossible without bags of money, which I don't have. Fortunately I found a way around that.

Appreciate your comments

Lingdern ( not sure on the spelling ) not really a suprise comming from me. they are in banrak next to restrant oceans 11. they are proffessional and international with branches in Phuket Bangkok and HK and samui off coarse. they have english lawyers aswell as thai. they are a big nnetwork.

then craw shaws in bohput about 100 meters after bohput traffic lights on the left hand side also big team have english lawyers and thai. they all know there business.

there are also allot of other firms. these 2 are the only ones i have delt with for business anyway

Cheers BigC

steve

No worries Steve I agree with you it does need to be different and it needs to be one page 1 of Google. I initially looked into doing this on own my, it soon became apparent that it is impossible without bags of money, which I don't have. Fortunately I found a way around that.

Appreciate your comments

I'll tell you what Internet service Samui really needs: a proper real estate portal complete with photos & video. Right now the best way to find a place is to drive around and look for a sign. There are a lot of places on the internet but they are spread out over many sites and crap photos if any. There are real estate agents on the island who would welcome a good portal helping them rent/sell their properties. Times are tough and they need all the help they can get. Not too mention resorts renting longterm (like where I used to live).

The site I would model it on is city24. They are in several countries around Europe. Check this one out for ideas: City24.ee

One benefit is you would end up with a nice place. :D

I'm in Dubai now but you can fly me over to Samui for a week vacation after you become filthy rich off the idea. Deal? :)

Edited by koheesti

I'll tell you what Internet service Samui really needs: a proper real estate portal complete with photos & video. Right now the best way to find a place is to drive around and look for a sign. There are a lot of places on the internet but they are spread out over many sites and crap photos if any. There are real estate agents on the island who would welcome a good portal helping them rent/sell their properties. Times are tough and they need all the help they can get. Not too mention resorts renting longterm (like where I used to live).

The site I would model it on is city24. They are in several countries around Europe. Check this one out for ideas: City24.ee

One benefit is you would end up with a nice place. :D

I'm in Dubai now but you can fly me over to Samui for a week vacation after you become filthy rich off the idea. Deal? :)

Hey I'm in Muscat at the moment, spent 2 years in Dubai, spend many a weekend up there. If you are ever down this way, I'll gladly join you for a beer.

A share of the site is going to be dedicated to real estate, with 360 degree viewings etc. The site is going to be cutting edge, it needs to be. I'll definitely look into your link, cheers.

Sure if I make a killing in the realty section, why not :D

yes r u welcome though it is thai law now that all new forangs who start a business have to dress ike aliens with green light bulbs on there for heads. so they know who the aliens are. :)

yes r u welcome though it is thai law now that all new forangs who start a business have to dress ike aliens with green light bulbs on there for heads. so they know who the aliens are. :)

Like some white or black guy really needs all that to not look Thai.