Shipping In A Dell..?

ChrisP

Hi..

I often see people shipping Dell Computers with them (from USA to Asia) with their suitacases.

Not sure I should buy in LOS, or ship a Dell (I've always had one.)

What do you all think..?

It would be the "re-assurance factor", mainly...! :o

I don't have enough techno-geek skills to spec or know if I was buying something good and reliable in Pantip.. (and thanks to those who suggested specs before... but it's almost Voo-Doo to me.. and talking VooDoo to a Thai vendor who'se English is about as good as my knowledge of computer bits isn't my idea of fun.!)

Cheers!

ChrisP

Mod.

Hi..

I often see people shipping Dell Computers with them (from USA to Asia) with their suitacases.

Not sure I should buy in LOS, or ship a Dell (I've always had one.) 

What do you all think..?

It would be the "re-assurance factor", mainly...!  :o

I don't have enough techno-geek skills to spec or know if I was buying something good and reliable in Pantip.. (and thanks to those who suggested specs before... but it's almost Voo-Doo to me.. and talking VooDoo to a Thai vendor who'se English is about as good as my knowledge of computer bits isn't my idea of fun.!)

Cheers!

ChrisP

Mod.

I think the nearest Dell dealer is in Penang. I have two Dells, desk & lap, brought them both in with me. The battery failed in the lap-top and I had a job getting a new one. Found a battery in Panthip Plaza in the end, upstairs in a second hand shop. And that was after going to Singapore and drawing a blank there as well.

Dell DO have a Thai operation (get on dell.com and choose Thailand as your country).

BUT, the website is a nightmare and you can't specify and order online unless you already have a corporate account :o

Choice of machines is a little limited here (seems daft as they are built in Penang anyway).

On a positive note, they DO answer the phone and speak good English.

Dell DO have a Thai operation (get on dell.com and choose Thailand as your country).

BUT, the website is a nightmare and you can't specify and order online unless you already have a corporate account  :o

Choice of machines is a little limited here (seems daft as they are built in Penang anyway).

When I tried to contact them through the number on the web-site, the man that answered had never heard of Dell. Maybe it was in transit to a new office and is OK now.

I was interested in buying a Dell a while back but gave up. I ran into too many deadends when trying to contact them myself. :o

You do see a few used laptops for sale in some of the computer shops at Zeer Rangsit but maybe they're just ones people have sold up before going home. I've also seen a few in use in offices and at the local Honda dealer. I always thought it strange that Dell don't make an effort to sell to the public here, HP, Toshiba etc seem to have made a go of it.

may be a lil off topic....

im interested in purchasing a proper dell server.....have some greivance against HP.....say i buy something frm penang....will their waranty be valid in thailand?

travelin to penang is cheap (baht 800 round trip bu bus hatyai-panang baht 5000 round trip bkk-penang airasia)...just worried abt the service...

ne ideas?

BUT, the website is a nightmare and you can't specify and order online unless you already have a corporate account  :o

I need to get another PC and had a a look at the Dell Thailand site. I too was very disappointed with the options available - nothing like in the UK.

And I also got good service over the phone when my current lap top needed a new keyboard. If only their website had the choices of the UK site, I would order one tomorrow :D

Maybe I should buy one from the UK site and have it delivered in the UK and pick it up on my next trip home?