Foreign Tourists May File Insurance Claims

webfact

Tourists may file insurance claims

PHUKET TOWN: -- Foreign tourists affected by recent rioting in Bangkok may be eligible for financial compensation of up to US$ 10,000 through a state-run insurance scheme.

According to the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) website, the Royal Thai Government in May 2009 set up an insurance scheme for foreigners visiting the Kingdom ‘who are affected by losses or harms or unable to leave the Kingdom in event of riots’.

The scheme covers losses and damages for the current situation occurring during the period from 4:31pm on April 9, 2010 until 4:30pm March 31, 2011.

Applicable to all foreign visitors entering the Kingdom legally, it covers losses and damages in the following three cases, as follows:

– Loss of life, limbs or permanent disabilities in an amount not exceeding US$ 10,000 per person;

– Hospital expenses as incurred, and hospital stay, if necessary, for a maximum period of 10 days, in the amount of US$ 1,000 per person and not exceeding US 10,000 per person;

– Loss or damage due to travel limitation in the amount of US$ 100 per person per day, but not exceeding the total of US$ 10,000 per person.

To make claims, contact Indara Insurance Public Company Limited (Tel: 02-205-7711) within 30 days from the date when the losses or damages occurred.

The scheme does not cover foreigners with resident status in Thailand, nor losses and damages occurring outside Thailand or due to causes other than the riots, including acts of terrorism.

For more information and/or the required documents to file a claim, visit the MFA website or contact the Tourism Authority of Thailand’s hotline on 1672.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-04-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Hi Ppl,

I'm now very worried over the situation that thailand is in as my wife and i will be travelling to Phuket on the 24 Apr 2010 - 26 Apr 2010. So Can anyone be kind enough to tell me the situation in phuket now?

Worried Tid3

What like that similar scam, sorry scheme, where people could be compensated for having to stay longer at hotels in BKK when the airport was overrun by bandits. Oh brother.

Hi Bridge,

So if the situations turns ugly in phuket and tourist are been force to over stay, will there be any compensation done by thai government??

Tid3

What like that similar scam, sorry scheme, where people could be compensated for having to stay longer at hotels in BKK when the airport was overrun by bandits. Oh brother.

Hi Bridge,

So if the situations turns ugly in phuket and tourist are been force to over stay, will there be any compensation done by thai government??

Tid3

When the airport was overtaken and tourists were forced to extend their accommodation because they simply couldn't leave Thailand, there was some half baked offer that tourists would be compensated for extra accommodation costs. From memory however the conditions to claim were so onerous that I doubt one baht was ever handed out.

As for compensation being paid out by the Thai Government, I think anyone would have a better chance of winning the Thai lottery, and that's even without buying a ticket.

Bridge

Hi Bridge,

Tid3

When the airport was overtaken and tourists were forced to extend their accommodation because they simply couldn't leave Thailand, there was some half baked offer that tourists would be compensated for extra accommodation costs. From memory however the conditions to claim were so onerous that I doubt one baht was ever handed out.

As for compensation being paid out by the Thai Government, I think anyone would have a better chance of winning the Thai lottery, and that's even without buying a ticket.

Bridge

My parents where stuck in Bangkok for 10 days during the airport take over. They stayed in an approved hotel that was offered by the scheme for FREE, which included breakfast. The normal day rate for the hotel was 2,200 baht. One thing I will mention though is the hotel they stayed at is owned by a high ranking army guy, who lives in my area !!!

Phuket ok. Every time the reds try to get together, the villagers come out and kick their a$$.

Hi,

Thanks Ppl for providing all these info. Really Glad that phuket is still a nice place to Travel. Will gladly be there soon....

So on top of all these questions, So is there any nice recommended Places of Interest that is a 'MUST-GO'. And any points to take notes when travelling in Phuket??

Tid3

Really Glad that phuket is still a nice place to Travel.

That's one way of putting it. It is my least favourite part of Thailand, after Koh Samui, and I find the locals there some of the most unfriendly in the country. Not to mention it is one of the most expensive parts of the country too.

Really Glad that phuket is still a nice place to Travel.

That's one way of putting it. It is my least favourite part of Thailand, after Koh Samui, and I find the locals there some of the most unfriendly in the country. Not to mention it is one of the most expensive parts of the country too.

Hi,

Ya.. I agree that it's ex over there... But of Course there must be at least one Good reason for it to be one of the popular spots...

Tid3

Where was the scam? as soon as your flight date came around they put you up free of charge in a four or five star hotel and gave you a 1,000 baht voucher per day for food at the hotels restaurant.

Where was the scam? as soon as your flight date came around they put you up free of charge in a four or five star hotel and gave you a 1,000 baht voucher per day for food at the hotels restaurant.

Hi,

Oh... Izzit?? Then this will be paid by Thai Government or?? and wat kind of documentation we have to do in-cases of this....??

Tid3

Wow are you negative

If you have no facts on what you are typing about, please stop typing

If you have proof it was a scam, please prove my opinion wrong and

show us the proof. Please remember "my aunt told me so" or

"I read in wikipedia" is not considered proof, that is only heresay

Ya.. I agree that it's ex over there... But of Course there must be at least one Good reason for it to be one of the popular spots..

so most probably you are not w newbe to phuket and know what you are after.

to everybody it would be different - for some people it's because it is an expensive place they would like to be there, but still a little cheaper than monte carlo. Phuket has many good quality golf courses, international hotel chains, has an international airport and is close to the many small islands around

Edited by londonthai

Hi Bridge,

Tid3

Bridge

Here seems as good a place as any to make a point about travel insurance. Say, for the sake of argument that the Thai govt does give you compensation of whatever amount. If you have travel insurance, the insurance company will deduct that payment from anything they might pay out for or even require you to claim under the Thai govt scheme first. That is, if they cover you at all!

Read the fine print.

Very few travel policies cover civil unrest etc.

Yeap as well as terrorist acts, etc etc

And many travel insurance policies state that coverage is not applicable when visiting someplace that your home country has a travel advisory against.

TAT's aide to tourists

By The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Tourists injured by the Saturday clash are invited to file insurance claims to International SOS Co Ltd at 02-205-7711, according to the Tourism Authority of Thailand.

Prakit Piriyakiet, deputy governor for marketing communications at the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT), said that the agency has also discussed with the insurer to count the Japanese photographer shot dead during the clash as a tourist. He would be entitled to compensation of Us$10,000. TAT has sent a letter of condolence to the Japan Embassy in Bangkok.

Prakit added that TAT Governor Suraphon Svetasreni has already paid an injured German tourist a visit. He quoted the tourist as saying that the accident was inevitable as that he still maintains the Phuket itinerary.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-04-12

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

..The scheme does not cover foreigners with resident status in Thailand

Excellent news! Since those foreigners with resident status can be counted on the fingers of a few hands, and my non-immigrant visa extension indicates that I am not resident, I will claim my $100 per day because I was planning to come up to BKK to see the tourist sites for a few days.

Simon

frankly I haven't heard about this law - looks really strange, that it was passed in May 2009, but started to be active from 9th aprill 2010 and is valid for a less than a year.

"the Royal Thai Government in May 2009 set up an insurance scheme for foreigners visiting the Kingdom ‘who are affected by losses or harms or unable to leave the Kingdom in event of riots’. ... The scheme covers losses and damages for the current situation occurring during the period from 4:31pm on April 9, 2010 until 4:30pm March 31, 2011."

Phuket isn't affected at all, so you shouldn't have any problems.

However, last time I checked, Phuket is in Thailand. Can you guarantee the airport is not the next target?

There is a blue print to follow for AND Sohndhi showed it is an effective way to get what one wants in Thailand.

Hi,

Oh... Izzit?? Then this will be paid by Thai Government or?? and wat kind of documentation we have to do in-cases of this....??

Tid3

1) Gunshot wound

2) Tear gas nausea

3) Baton bruises

4) Combination of above

• 2 weeks later...