Non-o Marriage Visa Documentation Required?

I am sending in my application for a non-O visa based on marriage to a Thai spouse. I have a short term (summer) job offer in hand from a Thai university and I will apply for a work permit when I arrive in Thailand. (I was told that this was a better option than a business visa, because it will not expire with the job, correct?)

What documentation do I need to put in the envelope? I have:

My Passport

My Photo

Visa application form with reason stated as, "to stay with Thai wife"

Return self-addressed post paid envelope

COPY of marriage certificate

COPY of wife's Thai ID card

Is there anything else I should include? Do I need to send a bank statement?

Thanks!

I assume you are in the US, although your post does not specifically say. Regarding loss of employment, it does not make any difference whether you hold a Non-O or a Non-B visa, as your permission to stay would not end. A Non-Immigrant visa remains valid for its duration once issued, irrespective of whether there is a later change of circumstances relating to its issue. Only if you were on extension of stay based on employment issued by Thai immigration would you have to leave the country on your last day of working (or obtain 7 day extension from immigration to pack-out).

You do not say how long you would be in Thailand, but single entry visa would give a 90 day permission to stay from the date of entry as long as visa is valid. You could then obtain a 60 day extension from Thai immigration on the basis of Thai wife if requiring further short time. Or obtain another visa from consulate in neighbouring country.

Be aware that multiple entry Non-O visas are becoming increasingly harder to obtain in the US following tightening up of visa issuance conditions by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If you require a multiple entry Non-Immigrant visa and are able to obtain a letter from your school detailing the job offer I would take it, and use it to apply for Non-B visa which are routinely issued. Each consulate has its own requirements relating to visa issue. Would suggest you contact one of the honorary consulates as they are more flexible in terms of requirements then embassy/consulates and can advise you exactly what documents they require. A list of honorary consulates can be found here.

You can use either Non-O or Non-B visa to support work permit application.

USA is correct.

Really? I didn't realize that multi-non-O was hard to get now--do you know what criteria is being used for successful cases? My honorary consulate is in Miami.

I was under the impression that a multi-B visa would be issued ONLY for the time I was actually working.

I am flying over on May 3 arriving May 5. Leaving for Cambodia May 13 returning May 20. Starting work June 1. I will also be leaving several other times during the summer. Clearly, I will need a multiple entry of some kind.

I already have letters from the school which say my employment begins on May 31 and ends on August 3. We are leaving on August 8.

Once in Thailand you can obtain re-entry permits at 1,000 baht each for any travel required and keep the current 90 day permitted to stay until date alive.

It makes no difference if you have O or B visa as they only provide 90 day entry at a go and are not effected by job. If you have such a visa (multi entry) you can continue to use it for 90 day entry regardless of employment.

I called the Thai consulate in Miami and here is what I was told.

It is easier to get a multiple non-O visa than a multiple non-B visa!

She said that if I submitted the following, I would definitely get a 1 year multiple non-O visa:

Application

1 Photo

Wife's Thai ID

Marriage License Copy

Return flight itinerary

Bank Statement showing at least $500 ($500? LOL!)

$175 Money Order

Return envelope

For a 1 year multiple non-B visa I would need:

Application

1 Photo

Invitation letter

Contract in THAI (which I don't have)

State Police clearance from my state

Return flight itinerary

Bank Statement showing at least $500 ($500? LOL!)

$175 Money Order

Return envelope