New To Area

suerawlings

Hi New to the Forum

We are visiting Chang Mai in June with a view to moving out there September 2010.

We have 4 children from 13yrs down to 6yrs. Just wanted a little advice on best areas to live with children Never been to Thailand before

I have been looking at the schools and just wanted any advice anyone has to offer. Cost comes into it because having 4 children is expensive so Prem is out the quesion. Really want them to carry on with there english education or international education .

Any advice on areas to live , schooling etc would be great. I take it , its really safe to live there.

I am planning to visit the schools when Im out but it would be nice to hear of anyone who has children at the schools or knowledge or schooling and areas to live.

Thanks in advance

Going out and spending as much time as you can prior is a good first step, get out and meet a few people and do your research afterwards.

I think you will find people are more than happy to offer advice after they know you have atleast been to a place your talking about....best of luck.

Edited by heywood

One bit of advice, find the school first and then find somewhere near it to live. School buses are available, but at 1000B plus per kids per month it can work out expensive and usually means very early mornings and late returns (when my kids went by bus they were picked up at 05:45 and dropped of at 18:15 each day - school starts at 08:45 and its a 20 minute drive - so its just because of the way the rounds work - I have lived in 3 places and its always worked out that way when using school buses).

Are you kids half Thai? Do they speak any Thai? Are you coming to work for an international company here that may help with school fees?

There are perhaps 3 different options (ignoring Thai government schools and Thai private schools without EP's): There is a Thai private school with an English Program (EP) - this is where most lessons are taught in English, but it will be to a Thai curriculum; Bi-Lingual schools where again most lessons are taught in English, but the school is designed to teach both languages (there are also Tri-Lingual available: English/Mandarin/Thai and English/<a n other European language such as German or French>/Thai); and lastly International Schools. These are in ascending price order roughly (perhaps overlap with the first two). Only IS will offer non-Thai curriculum, though Thai curriculum isn't that bad, plenty of emphasis on maths and science, but the teaching can be.

Most people say that you get what you pay for, but that isn't true at all really - you pay what you are willing to pay and get what they are willing to provide - but it doesn't trickle of the tongue in the same way.

You may want to consider how long term you think you will be here - or more specifically your kids. If they are part Thai and you want them to live here happily ever after (go uni here etc), then I feel a good Thai school (bi-lingual) is a good match; if you want them to go to Oxford or somewhere, then IS is probably a better fit. However, Thai kids do get into western universities - especially American ones - and IS school kids do sometimes go to Thai Unis.

In Thai schools they will mix mostly with Thai kids; in IS they will mostly mix with expat kids (most of which will have parents whose fees are paid by international companies or governments). Mixing with Thai kids, especially in the better Thai private schools/bi-linguals, can build useful contacts. IS can too to a lesser extent as some rich Thai families send their kids to IS, but there is also a higher turn over due to parents moving with their firms/government appointments etc.

So, in short you need to decide what you want for your kids futures.

For the record my kids go to a good bi-lingual school here in Chiang Mai in the English Program. Most of their friends are Thai. They came knowing almost no Thai at all (having been at an English private school since they were 2), this year they both got good marks in their end of year Thai exams. Oh, Bi-Lingual EP costs about 80k per year - prices for Thai schools is capped by the Government unlike IS fees - there are no silly insurance payment, signing up fees, library fees, admin fees, deposits or backhanders that IS schools seem to try on. In my girls school all teachers are native English teachers with proper teaching degrees and experience, except for Thai dancing, Thai language and Thai customs (morales) which is taught by Thai teachers (with teaching degrees of course).

Good Bi-Lingual/Thai Private schools with EP's: Sacred Heart College (girls only), Varee Chaing Mai, Montfort College, Regina Coeli College, Dara Accademy (I think has an EP), Princes Royal College, and probably several others. The SH, Regina and Montfort are all in the same road in the centre of town, Dara and PRC are out a bit, near the bus station in Kaew Nawarat Rd and Varee is out further not far from the airport in Mahidol Rd.

Good luck.

Going out and spending as much time as you can prior is a good first step, get out and meet a few people and do your research afterwards.

I think you will find people are more than happy to offer advice after they know you have atleast been to a place your talking about....best of luck.

You won't get more comprehensive advice than all that good stuff from Wolf. Well done, man!

Only one update. Sacred Heart began taking boys this year for the first time. I know because my wife, a Thai (qualified) teacher of English, has applied for a job there now that our own boy has passed the age of 4.

A fellow Brit who, like us, lives on the north side of town is impressed with Nakhorn Payap School on the Central Ring Road. His daughter aged 12 attends and is taking an American curriculum plus Thai language. Doing well in all subjects except maths and science. We have had the walk-around and are also impressed. They have a mini-bus service which seems quite comprehensive.

On geography, I'd add that the main roads on the north side of town seem less congested than the south. Hang Dong Rd, south, is a particular pain, and there is some aircraft noise down there.

Apart from the fairly notorious Thai driving standards, I have found this area totally safe for over a decade, with remarkably low levels of theft and NO vandalism. Hope you enjoy your recce and settle in well!